224. 2010 update post #65 !

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice man, polished frame is flash.

How are you finding the V12s?
Love them. I've been a fan of DMR pedals for many years now. I have big feet , but the smallish platform works for me. The first set of V8s I bought in 2000 lasted 7 years and only needed replacing because I snagged one on a root at high speed and bent the spindle. Stripped the thread out of the crank arm too , pretty decent crash ! :)

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love them. I've been a fan of DMR pedals for many years now. I have big feet , but the smallish platform works for me. The first set of V8s I bought in 2000 lasted 7 years and only needed replacing because I snagged one on a root at high speed and bent the spindle. Stripped the thread out of the crank arm too , pretty decent crash ! :)
I have a sized 8 footed mate who swears by them, but IMO the platform is a tad too small for larger feet.

Once again, bike is hot man!

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Amazing, wow that bike looks great!

I've got a 222 too:D, stripped it to raw by hand (paint stripper & sanding) but it needs a hell of a lot more work to look anywhere near as nice as that! The age of the bike probably plays a part as well because the STP raw came up much nicer and it was done the same way.
I'm also a fan of DMR V12 pedals, have had mine for about 3yrs now and they have only needed a strip and re-grease once so far, which got them feeling like new again.

picture for the hell of it....

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Time for another update. The biggest change is the 40s. The difference between them and the old Boxxers is night and day. Worth every cent. Also , in an attempt to reduce the weight gain from the addition of 40s , I've gone tubeless with a 721 and rimstrip up front. So far so good. Saved about 150g

Frame - 06 224 large , polished.
Rear shock - DHX5 Tekin tuned- Obtanium spring - HT shoulder bolts replace the original mounting hardware
Fork - 2011 Fox 40
Handlebars - Sunline V1 750mm
Stem - Sunline boxxer
Headset - Crank Bros directset.
Grips - Odi Oury
Saddle - SDG Ti fly C
Seatpost - Race face Diabolus
Front brake - Hope mono M4 ti fasteners
Rear brake - Hope mono M4 ti fasteners
Cranks - Race face Diabolus
Chainguide - MRP
Chain - Shimano HG53
Pedals - DMR V12
Rear derailleur - 2010 X9 short cage
Rear shifter - 2010 X9
Cassette - SRAM 12 - 26
Hubs - Hope
Rims - Front - Mavic 721 with Stans rimstrip.
Rear - Mavic 729
Tyres - Front - Maxxis Minion 2.5. UST
Rear - Ibex 2.4 (will be replaced by a minion DHF)
Tubes - Rear Maxxis freeride

Weight 17.8 kg in it's current spec.

DSC_0043 by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

DSC_0026 by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

DSC_0031 by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

DSC_0028 by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

DSC_0016 by spinnerpics1, on Flickr

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks awesome. should ride really well.
The 40s are a massive improvement from the old WC spiky noodles and the shock tune is a huge improvement from stock. Might not get me much faster but comfort and control will be the major advantages. Very important at my age. :)

Looks simply stunning, this bike looks just right!
great build!
I'd love to throw some more current and desirable parts on there , but "if it aint broke"......hence the beaten up old 729 on the back , Race Face cranks , V12s ....... they're all still hanging in there. :)

Khs_Cheunga

Likes Dirt
Probably the best looking bike I have seen in awhile!

Great build! Those 40's would have set you back a fair bit!

Also, how did you go about polishing your frame like that?

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably the best looking bike I have seen in awhile!

Great build! Those 40's would have set you back a fair bit!

Also, how did you go about polishing your frame like that?
Thanks mate. The 40s are the single most expensive MTB part I have ever bought. Not much more than 2011 Boxxer WC s though , they were the other option. I'm pretty much over Rockshox stuff though.

The frame was paint stripped of the powdercoat , rubbed with progressively finer grades of wet and dry where needed , then hit with Autosol and Meguiars alum polish. Lots of hours involved , I doubt I'll ever do that again.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very nice, love the single pivots, keep us up to date with how the folks perform
Okay , got a few rides on the forks now. They have been brilliant so far. I set the comp / rebound after the first few runs and haven't touched them since. That says a lot I think. I regularly use all the travel , yet never feel them hit the stops.

I removed the lowers and replaced the oil after the mudfest that was VDHS #1 at Eildon. There was no sign of any mud getting past the seals but it was good to check the level and condition anyway.

I ran head on into a rock at VDHS #2 at Barjarg , burped the front tyre and scratched one of the uppers. It looked pretty bad with granite dust all around the damaged area , I was pretty devestated but when I got back to the pits , I wiped them down , gave the area a light file to remove any jagged bits and the damage is barely noticeable. There has been no leaking on either of the seals too which is a bonus.

I have built a new rear wheel since the pics were taken , Hope Pro 2 / DT double butted spokes / 721 with Stans rim strip / latex and a UST 60a Minion. That's dropped the weight back to 17.5 but I'm not sure about the hard compound tyre. It was sketchy as on moist rock at Barjarg , but might be okay in the dry. I'm not expecting much from the rimstrip / Stans combo on the rear after burping the front twice at Barjarg. We'll see if it lasts the day of runs tomorrow.

I have also fitted Saint cranks which has contibuted to the weight loss. Better get some updated pics I guess.