24 Bikes - Le toy IV

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fastrider gus said:
but do YOU guys have any trouble with the standard steerers??? i defenately dont..
and if you do, just get freakin tripple clamps!
a good headset can help against ovalisation.. all the ones i have seen ovalise are shitty bikes with abusive riders! there are other options than starting a whole new industry standard.
the bike brands should look at making the head tubes thicker if they are worried about ovalisation, look at the banshee screem.. the HT is about 16mm thick! you arent going to ovalise that.
as i said it's not all about steerers, and it's not just about breakage, ...stiffness.

yeah a chris-king steelset can help prevent ovalisation, but it's a band-aid fix, a good one tho'.

the banshee is a strong bike and a HEAVY one, you can have the strength without the excessive weight by using a larger diameter HT, i wouldn't be surprised if banshee adopted 1.5... all the canucks are loving the manitou forks...

i can't believe i am getting into this shit about 1 point fucking 5... that's it, if you can't understand it now, you never will.

S.

ex offender
fastrider gus said:
but do YOU guys have any trouble with the standard steerers??? i defenately dont..
a good headset can help against ovalisation.. all the ones i have seen ovalise are shitty bikes with abusive riders! there are other options than starting a whole new industry standard.
the bike brands should look at making the head tubes thicker if they are worried about ovalisation, look at the banshee screem.. the HT is about 16mm thick! you arent going to ovalise that.
Thicker headtubes (16mm will be no different to 12mm) aren't the answer. Can you also drop the subliminal "Banshee is the answer to all your problems" pitch. And yeah, Turner DHRs, Intenses, DHis, Norcos, Specializeds, DMRs etc are all "shitty bikes with abusive riders". :roll: Just because you haven't seen it happen personally, doesn't mean it's not a problem. I've never seen a Fox shock blow up, but I'm not gonna deny that it happens.

This "whole new industry standard" has no real downside... only opponents like yourself who dislike change simply because it happened without their say-so. Making headtubes thicker doesn't do much to solve problems because it's only the inner diameter that matters - not the outer diameter. If the aluminium deforms, it's not going to matter how thick it is; I can put a pretty bloody deep dent in 4" thick aluminium if I use a vice - no different to what would happen if it was only 1/2" thick. Having bigger bearings (remember this is backwards compatible, you can still use 1 1/8 forks in 1.5 headtubes) also helps because headsets are going to be tougher without any significant weight penalty.

wombat

Lives in a hole
fastrider gus said:
No, I haven't had any problems yet, by I also haven't had any major problems with my Truvativs. Does that mean that they're the best product around, shit no! Should we stop developing better products because mine haven't failed? No.
As for the triple clamp argument, well quite a few of the guys who I know of snapping steerers, are street riders who are intent on doing barspins, tailwhips and x-ups. Try doing that with triples.....

Dan

Likes Dirt
a couple of toys have ovalised in the past. so i spose the 1.5 will stop that happning again. i dont think i like it as much as the letoy III, not as much welding and its a bit smaller i think.

not sure how much they will retail for. the toy3's retail for $600us (which is about $900 aus). so probably a bit more then $600us

fastrider gus

super huck
Socket said:
fastrider gus said:
Thicker headtubes (16mm will be no different to 12mm) aren't the answer. Can you also drop the subliminal "Banshee is the answer to all your problems" pitch. And yeah, Turner DHRs, Intenses, DHis, Norcos, Specializeds, DMRs etc are all "shitty bikes with abusive riders". :roll: Just because you haven't seen it happen personally, doesn't mean it's not a problem. I've never seen a Fox shock blow up, but I'm not gonna deny that it happens.

This "whole new industry standard" has no real downside... only opponents like yourself who dislike change simply because it happened without their say-so. Making headtubes thicker doesn't do much to solve problems because it's only the inner diameter that matters - not the outer diameter. If the aluminium deforms, it's not going to matter how thick it is; I can put a pretty bloody deep dent in 4" thick aluminium if I use a vice - no different to what would happen if it was only 1/2" thick. Having bigger bearings (remember this is backwards compatible, you can still use 1 1/8 forks in 1.5 headtubes) also helps because headsets are going to be tougher without any significant weight penalty.
..... that is not a very nice way to talk about your mum! :wink: