240V inverter to make coffee??

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Anyone here know much about 12-240V inverters and load? I'd like to look at an inverter for the van to run an aldi coffee machine and a 700W microwave to heat food. I'd then use solar to charge the battery. If the coffee machine was say 1400W, would a 2000W inverter on a 135aH battery work? Or would the amperage needed kill the battery? If my maths is right, aH drawn on the microwave run for 3 minutes would be about 6ah? The same for the coffee machine? But the amps would be huge right?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
1400W / 12 V => 120 Amp draw, excluding inverter losses.

At this rate, you could get around 1 hour of 'run' time from the 135A battery, if discharging fully, which deep cycle batteries don't like too often.

Is the coffee machine a pod machine i.e. up to temp in a minute and then turned off after you pour, or a traditional machine which you will need to leave on to keep up to temp? Latter would use too any Ah.

Something like this for the inverter?

https://www.australiandirect.com.au...MI2qyQy6Lz5gIVFA4rCh05aQjIEAQYASABEgLM3PD_BwE

Don't see why you can't do it. You would want decent cable though for 120A, 3 or 4 B&S??

EDIT: Expect this will be expensive i.e. $350 battery, $400 inverter and $50 cables and connectors. Can you run a genset instead?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
@creaky’s on the right track, although some inverters may not like dirty loads (ie. non-sinusoidal load current). Microwaves and coffee machines with electronic temperature controls may be problematic as peak currents might exceed the capacity of the inverter. Modern inverters are likely a lot more tolerant of these sorts of loads than in the past.

Do you have to run the coffee machine and microwave together?

Have you tried the caravaners forums... https://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=66447

DMan

1400W / 12 V => 120 Amp draw, excluding inverter losses.

At this rate, you could get around 1 hour of 'run' time from the 135A battery, if discharging fully, which deep cycle batteries don't like too often.

Is the coffee machine a pod machine i.e. up to temp in a minute and then turned off after you pour, or a traditional machine which you will need to leave on to keep up to temp? Latter would use too any Ah.

Something like this for the inverter?

https://www.australiandirect.com.au...MI2qyQy6Lz5gIVFA4rCh05aQjIEAQYASABEgLM3PD_BwE

Don't see why you can't do it. You would want decent cable though for 120A, 3 or 4 B&S??

EDIT: Expect this will be expensive i.e. $350 battery, $400 inverter and $50 cables and connectors. Can you run a genset instead?
Exactly the info I was chasing. I hve had a good ferret though the caravan forums. Hence the 2kv inverter. But most are running dual systems. I'm looking at 1. No the coffee machine and microwave wouldn't run at the same time

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Depending on the battery you wont want to draw down lower than 50%. Make sure cable sizes are appropriate for the length of run.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Are you using the power for much beyond the coffee and microwave? There might be better stuff to use on 12v or even gas that you can avoid the inverter and costs

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
If you are running a pod or similar machine go for a Wacaco or similar and a manual grinder. Makes better coffee than a pod machine. In my opinion...

Mattyp

Cows go boing
for camping purposes? i use a cheapy JetBoil and Jeds coffee Bag.... its not a $5 barrista coffee but its good enough. Keep it simple.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
@DMan is after something that Mrs Dman can quickly and with little energy produce a coffee with milk while she is having a break during a 24 hour event.

LPG

likes thicc birds
@DMan is after something that Mrs Dman can quickly and with little energy produce a coffee with milk while she is having a break during a 24 hour event.
Ahh, makes sense. Try coffee grounds and boiling water in a vac flask / thermos. After 30 mins upright the grounds settle out and makes a seriously nice coffee. It can sit for 6 hours no problem without over extraction as the grounds settle, less once you open it.
It sounds too simple but it's great provided you have patience and wait the 30 mins and dont pour the last 50 ml in the cup. A spare thermos ready to go incase she knocks it over in her sleep deprived daze could save grinds getting in the coffee and a very grumpy wife. Give it a try at home

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I bought the missus one of these for Christmas. Claims to stay got for eight hours and is believe it. Burnt my mouth about two hours after making it.

DMan

Creaky is on the money. Also need to be able to heat food quickly hence the microwave. At a moments notice too. 24hr racers are quite random on what they want to suddenly eat...

binner

Hath shat hymself
micros n coffee machines pull heaps of power... i went thru the same as you and finally ended up doing 1 x 250 watt solar foldable with 2X 135amp AGM batts wired in parallel and a 1500watt peak 3000watt pure sine wave inverter, most of the use for inverter goes to charging laptops and my girls ipads , bloody kids :p:D and it looks after my 60 ltr fridge. I gave up on trying to use a micro, For coffee I use this, every camp trip we do it becomes the morning centre of attention.... works a treat............

Attachments

Last edited: