24HOA World Solo Championships 2012 cancelled.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Wembo

After there was no Adrenalin World Solo 24 Champs in 2011 to follow on from Canberra in 2010, a group of clubs/promoters (including the club that brought you 2010) formed WEMBO and held the first WEMBO World Solo 24Hr Championships in Finale Ligure, Italy, in May 2012. (Fantastic place - I'm taking the family back there for a holiday next year).

. 2013 will be in Canberra, Australia.
. 2014 will be in Fort William, Scotland.
. and we're chatting with various races about 2015 in the Americas (North and South).

Then its on a rotation system. The main thing here is to provide a predictable, regular and reliable set of quality 24 hour events around the world, with lots of advance notice for the riders.

Full details on the WEMBO website.

The WEMBO members are currently discussing what we can do to provide racing opportunities for riders who have trained for the Canmore race. Probably have an announcement ready to go in a day. If you are an Aussie rider who was entered for Canmore this September, please email us and we'll see what we can do for you for the Scott.

rangie

Likes Dirt
I am surprised about this because :-(

Sadly nothing from these guys surprise me anymore. Sad for all the people planning on attending. Especially the folks who have worked their entire year towards racing in 2012. A huge impost if you were from overseas. I am assuming, there will be no compensation for anyone.

On the other hand Russ and co have been and continue to do an amazing amount of work. This is clearly evident in all the events they plan/run. So save your $$ nd attend the next WEMBO as all accounts are that italy was awesome too!

Le Matelot

Response from WEMBO

There is a news item on the WEMBO website - but basically the WEMBO members are removing entry cutoff dates and entry limits for Solos at any 24 Hr they are running in Aug/Sep/Oct this year. The aim here is to make it as easy as possible for riders to get a race in, so they can get some benefit from all their training and preparation this year. Even so, this really is only going to be applicable to the Relentless 24 in Scotland and the Scott 24 in Australia. The Italian WEMBO members are trying to set something up with other 24's in Italy, as they don't have one on their own calendar in that period.

WEMBO are going to do everything they can to get you into a race if you want one.

WEMBO have had some enquiries about whether their events are going ahead. Yes they are. All WEMBO events, and events hosted by WEMBO members for 2012, 2013 and 2014 are running to schedule.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolutely no surprise to me that Stu could not/did not get his shit together for this.
He is flakey at best IMO.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
W24C Cancellation

This past week has been an extremely difficult one for many involved.

As part of the Not For Profit W24C Committee we had an excellent program lined up for the September, which included all the top elite men in the world.

That all aside it's a very sad situation to be part of and we feel extremely sorry especially to the athletes and families who had planned to join us.

To those athletes from Australia dating all the way back to 2003 in Whistler and going forward to 2010 in OZ I'm thankful for the opportunity to have met you.

To those of you that actually ever talked with me personally, I think you know were my heart has been and the type of person I am.

All the best and thanks for the fond memories,

Stuart

http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/wo...012-cancelled/

Last edited:

Rat

Likes Dirt
So from reading the links I assume that the 24hrs of adrenaline World titles will be not be run anytime in the future and the next WEMBO will become the official 24hr World titles in Oct 2013. Is this correct? will the WEMBO event be recognized as being the official world titles?

I'm surprised that entries for 2013 are already open, I only heard about it today, and it's over a year away. There seems to be no need to qualify, is entry really open to anyone? In some ways I think that would detract from the event, but if that's what it needs to be viable then I suppose that's what must be done.

Is anyone watching this thread involved in organization? I wondering when I would need to enter by and if a cap is expected be reached anytime?

Le Matelot

WEMBO 2013 - Canberra

Is anyone watching this thread involved in organization?
Yes - me :high5:

... and the next WEMBO will become the official 24hr World titles in Oct 2013. Is this correct? will the WEMBO event be recognized as being the official world titles?
We have been in contact with the UCI and they have no interest in 24Hr Solo Racing. While that may be a good thing (there is a big burden that comes with a UCI World Champs), it does mean that without a world governing body, multiple events can spring up. But, given what happened to the Adrenalin event, I'd say you're correct. Remember, WEMBO itself only really came into being because of the lack of a world champs in 2011 to follow Canberra in 2010. In the current climate, what will determine the outcome is what the riders recognise.

I'm surprised that entries for 2013 are already open, I only heard about it today, and it's over a year away. There seems to be no need to qualify, is entry really open to anyone? In some ways I think that would detract from the event, but if that's what it needs to be viable then I suppose that's what must be done.
One of the reasons for setting up WEMBO, was to provide a reliable and predictable schedule for events, in locations around the world. So - we open entries early. Entries for WEMBO 2013 opened the day that WEMBO 2012 finished, and you can expect the same for WEMBO 2014 next year.

The issue about the cap or qualification is a difficult one. Given that 24Hr solo racing at the world level has pretty much been confined to North America (apart from Canberra in 2010), we don't want to disadvantage any riders who might not "qualify" purely because they have never been able to travel. If this is to be a true world championships, then in the early years, it must be open to anyone from around the world who wishes to enter. We deliberately chose venues which could take big numbers of solo riders so that we can handle big fields. The aim is to be inclusive, not exclusive. Stromlo can take up to 800 !

One of the earlier posts mentioned that Italy was fantastic - and they were right. One of the great things about WEMBO 2012 in Italy was that it dragged out solo riders from around Europe who had never travelled to North America before. That made for some potentially exciting racing - because the riders did not know the strengths of their opposition.

It is interesting to look back at what qualification really means. To quote two examples, James Williamson did not qualify for the world solo champs he won - he was an accepted entry based on a 2-year old race. When Gordo won the Aussie champs and then won the worlds the next year, he only got in because he was originally meant to ride a pair in CORC's 2005 race - but his partner got sick. The message - you never know where the next best is coming from, and we shouldn't exclude people.

I suspect that in future years, there will need to be a qualification system, and we expect to have a range of affiliated events around the world. But, for now, if you enter, you're in. We have said that even if a qualification system was introduced for 2013, we would still honour any entries already in the system.

I wondering when I would need to enter by and if a cap is expected be reached anytime?
I'm not sure if there are 800 people win the world who would do a 24Hr solo - but you never know. But - entries are open if you want to guarantee yourself a spot.

Rat

Likes Dirt
Thanks Le Matelot for your detailed answers, I am considering entering. I have completed two 24hr races, the second qualified me to race elite in 2010 Worlds but also gained me an injury that put me in hospital for surgery removing necrotic tissue, then months off the bike plus rebuild time so I could not compete. I'm not sure why I am considering doing another 24hr, somebody stop me, I need help :wacko:

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Thanks Le Matelot for your detailed answers, I am considering entering. I have completed two 24hr races, the second qualified me to race elite in 2010 Worlds but also gained me an injury that put me in hospital for surgery removing necrotic tissue, then months off the bike plus rebuild time so I could not compete. I'm not sure why I am considering doing another 24hr, somebody stop me, I need help :wacko:
Can you really afford to ride your arse off for a third time? What will you sit on?

Bodin

GMBC
Thanks to all involved in keeping the 24 pulse beating. It's still on my MTB bucket list, particularly seeing as it's the only :eyebrows: WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP :eyebrows: I'm ever going to be able to complete in.

Even if "compete" is a bit too strong of a word for the sort of approach I'll take to it... "survive" would be more suitable... but it would still be ace to rock up to work on a Monday (probably on crutches) and let the crew in the office know I was only about 200kms short of being a WORLD CHAMPION.

Rat

Likes Dirt
Can you really afford to ride your arse off for a third time? What will you sit on?
Plenty left to sit on :D but yeah neither myself or my support want to go through that again. If I did do it I would need to be more careful and in a World Titles I might still push too hard. Not going to decide anything yet, will focus on summer racing coming up.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
What is the World Championships

Sorry to drag up this kinda old post... but just wanted to pass my opinion on so-called UCI status and I know this might be a little "heavy" for some, but here goes.

The UCI is nothing more than an organisation that "claims" authority over cycling. It's actually WE as cyclists who give them this authority.

If they had invented cycling, then maybe they could completely claim complete authority but alas they did not.

In fact the UCI was in itself a break away organisation... when it first started.

Therefore, the question about "is the 24 hour worlds a UCI event"... I really don't see how it's relevant.
How and why would the UCI have anything to do with 24 hour racing?
They have no more relevance to this topic, than the North Coburg tiddlywinks club.

So in summary, the UCI conducts, awards and runs the UCI world championships... not the cycling world championships.
And my point... is that really any so-called world championships, is only such a thing, if the athletes, supporters, fans etc say it is.

... stepping down.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
I would avoid UCI at all costs.

actively take measures to ensure the WEMBO or whoever runs a World 24 hour champs never has to have anything to do with the UCI

All the UCI would bring is triple the entry fee, qualification procedures to rort more money from athletes throughout the year, and stack the competitors area with officials tents.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I would avoid UCI at all costs.
All the UCI would bring is triple the entry fee, qualification procedures to rort more money from athletes throughout the year, and stack the competitors area with officials tents.
Sounds more like 24HOA than the UCI.

akashra

Eats Squid
Yes, I'm not sure why people think being affiliated with the UCI instantly drives up costs - certainly any more than any other organisation.

At the end of the day whichever organisation runs a "world championship", if its the only one doing it, or the one which is attracting the biggest and most diverse field then it should have the world championship status. More so if that organisation is planning ahead, and moving the event around the World. Sounds like WEMBO not 24HOA.

You cant call yourself the world championship and only stage in one country. 24HOA had the right intention in Aust 2010 then its idea for Europe 2011, but lacked the drive to make it happen when it had to do all the hard work itself. If not for Rus and the dedicated team at CORC, Stromolo 2010 would never have happened either.

If WEMBO is it for us 24hour solo nutters then I'm in at Stromolo and Scotland. If a round ends up in the US then I may travel there too. I cant wait to battle the course again at Stromolo in 2013.