24Hr racing advice

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Ackland, what's your view on how many, if she likes her 1st, 24hrs you should do per year? Especially factoring in that she's a fulltime teacher and training takes up a lot of time...
I'd wait to see what the outcome of #1 is... Baby steps.
I take about a month to recover properly but Jason English once won the worlds in the USA and the the Aus champs the following weekend!

Going forward you'll be limited to the race offerings, travel distance, bucket list events, costs and timing...

24 Hr racing for both solo and teams appears to be on the decline.
Canberra used to have the Scott24 and Mont24 which have both disappeared, Vic used to have Wombat24, Bright24 and Forrest/Redesdale24...

2019 24hr events (That I know of): - Not sure if I've missed some

JetBlack 24 (NSW) was Mid March
Hidden Vale 24 (QLD) 13/14 April
Dirty Weekend 24 (SA) 27/28 Apr
Melrose 18hr (SA) 30/31 Aug (not a 24 but as hard as one)
Trailterra/MTBA Solo24 National Champs (NSW) Mid Oct
NEMB/WEMBO Asia Pacific 24hr champs (NSW) 9/10 Nov

NEMB/WEMBO World 24hr champs (NSW) 6/7 Nov 2020
IF she enjoys this one then I'd definitely make sure that she starts planning for the 24HR World Champs in 2020. It's likely 5 years before we host again.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I take about a month to recover properly but Jason English once won the worlds in the USA and the the Aus champs the following weekend!

Going forward you'll be limited to the race offerings, travel distance, bucket list events, costs and timing...

Canberra used to have the Scott24 and Mont24 which have both disappeared, Vic used to have Wombat24, Bright24 and Forrest/Redesdale24...

IF she enjoys this one then I'd definitely make sure that she starts planning for the 24HR World Champs in 2020. It's likely 5 years before we host again.
Definitely hinges on how this goes for sure. But just curious as most I've talked to say 2 a year. But some say 3. I like 2. It's very time hungry to do 3 I feel. The training program is big. Especially with her school work load. And selfishly I'd like some time to do riding together with no other purpose than for the hell of it. . The plan at this stage is Hiddenvale and then if she likes it Asia pacific in Nov as it's close to us. But she's definitely eyeing off the worlds for next year.... :rolleyes:

John U

MTB Precision

No more bright 24hour?
Any

None in vic now?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The plan at this stage is Hiddenvale and then if she likes it Asia pacific in Nov as it's close to us. But she's definitely eyeing off the worlds for next year.... :rolleyes:
Might see you at Asia Pacific.
I'd rather prioritise scoping the WEMBO course over 2019 Nationals.
Want to know if I can run rigid there for 24hrs. Jeebus did it in Scotland!

DMan

Might see you at Asia Pacific.
I'd rather prioritise scoping the WEMBO course over 2019 Nationals.
Want to know if I can run rigid there for 24hrs. Jeebus did it in Scotland!
It would definitely be the Asia Pacific out of the 2. Armidale is only 3 hrs from us. And she did the 12hr there last year so is fairly familiar with the course. Assuming it's similiar.... If you end up there it would be great to meet. You'd need to do it single speed rigid or it wouldn't be worth it... :p

No more bright 24hour?
Any

None in vic now?
Vic is obviously smarter. I get tired just thinking about MY WIFE doing a 24hr let alone doing one myself... :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You can get those mobile phone back up battery packs and tape them to the bars and run a USB cable. I used to do long distance solo rides and wrap one in an old tube and use those velcro computer cable ties to attach it to the bars.
Did it recharge the computer, or just keep it ticking along?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
@Cardy George Garmin claim their power pack gets about 24hrs use with a garmin 1030, it also charges on the go. I remember some older Garmin models wouldn't charge on the go and stop charging when they got to a certain temp.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/571552
I'd have to search out the details but if I recall there was a pin modification that you could do to the charging cables that bypassed this issue.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd be interested in that too if I could get more life from my Garmin 705
The 705 should be right it was the later ones. If you ride with the usb cable in, you've got to watch it when it rains a lot because water can enter the unit via the USB port connection.

Last edited:

DMan

The 705 should be right it was the later ones. If you ride with the usb cable in, you've got to watch it when it rains a lot because water can enter the unit via the USB port connection.
I'll give it a try then. I have a couple of power banks at home.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
A bit more Googling says they work with 820s and most others if you use an external cable.

I'm still not stumping up $200 if I have to use a cable anyway
It's a nifty looking unit but essentially if you don't have a 1030 it's just a $200 3100mAh power bank... yeah no thanks. I'm going to see if I can track down one of those quad lock type cases that will fit a generic power bank and then glue a quarter turn mount to that.