24Hr racing advice

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Thread hijack for those interested in 24hr racing....

I'll be kicking off at 2pm CST (yes it's a shite start time)

The 12hr version starts at the same time. It stops at 8pm, then restarts at 8am Sunday, finishing at 2pm with the others. Hence the starting time.

A few of our club guys are there, and it's on my to do list

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The 12hr version starts at the same time. It stops at 8pm, then restarts at 8am Sunday, finishing at 2pm with the others. Hence the starting time.

A few of our club guys are there, and it's on my to do list
Yeah I know...
In Canberra they just make the 6+6 start at 6am.
Makes for a long second day.
8hrs to go after dawn.
Always a good crew from Mildura

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Awesome effort champ!
Cheers.

I'll be doing a blog article with La Velocita about 24Solo racing and where it sits in the world of MTB racing.
Also equipment selection and mental preparation.

How has your wife gone in the weeks following?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Cheers.

I'll be doing a blog article with La Velocita about 24Solo racing and where it sits in the world of MTB racing.
Also equipment selection and mental preparation.

How has your wife gone in the weeks following?
She's going well. Her HR is finally coming back up to where it normally sits when training. Took nearly 2 weeks. So last night she flogged herself on the trainer to Zwift. Finally got it set up so last night was the first ride and strangely she loved it.....
Next 24 is Armidale. Put a link up to the blog here so we can read it if possible.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
She's going well. Her HR is finally coming back up to where it normally sits when training. Took nearly 2 weeks. So last night she flogged herself on the trainer to Zwift. Finally got it set up so last night was the first ride and strangely she loved it.....
Next 24 is Armidale. Put a link up to the blog here so we can read it if possible.
I'd expect she's probably still only at 70-80% of max power though?
I usually take about a month to be able to hit XCO numbers again but can almost immediately continue low HR endurance efforts

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'd expect she's probably still only at 70-80% of max power though?
I usually take about a month to be able to hit XCO numbers again but can almost immediately continue low HR endurance efforts
I think so. She definitely isn't recording her normal HR figures but much better. And starting to feel stronger too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
This thread has been fairly useless for me but it is very awesome.

On a Singlespeed
Looking at advice given here by you I'm not that surprised you won but on a ss is another dimension of amazing. How often have ss riders taken out this category?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Looking at advice given here by you I'm not that surprised you won but on a ss is another dimension of amazing. How often have ss riders taken out this category?
It's certainly not uncommon for SS riders to do well over 24hrs.
Brett Bellchambers took out plenty of outright wins within Australia.
At World champs, there's often 1 or 2 in the top 10 and occasionally an outright podium.

For me I find the longer the event, the more SS is an advantage.

I have a pretty decent idea what works for me these days but certainly won't be challenging for an elite place come November

creaky

XMAS Plumper
For me I find the longer the event, the more SS is an advantage.
Why do you think that is? Cause it forces you to use muscles differently throughout the race (sit, stand, spin, grind) rather than just using the same sit and pedal rhythm the majority of the time?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Why do you think that is? Cause it forces you to use muscles differently throughout the race (sit, stand, spin, grind) rather than just using the same sit and pedal rhythm the majority of the time?
I think there are a few factors for me.
  1. You have no option to be lazy.
  2. Consistency in efforts, you can't go out silly hot early on.
  3. A Singlespeed drive train is just so damn efficient