26" DJ fork - which one?

T-Rex

Template denier
Junior snapped the steerer tube on the forks on his DJ bike. I think the forks were originally off Caroline Buchanan's 4X bike from when she was about 15, so they had a long, hard life. Junior now reckons he needs a whole new bike, because "you cannot get 26 forks any more". A quick google reveals that statement is BS.

There's an array of forks available, but I have no idea about dirt jumping, other than the damping demands don't seem that complicated.

What's the difference between

$159

$349

and

$700

for DJ? The current front wheel is 9mm QR but I'm pretty sure we have a 20mm front hub kicking around so could lace up another wheel for the Manitou option.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Go the manitou. It’s made for dirt jumping and it’s half the price of the Reba.
Otherwise RockShox argyle.

If you can fit a 1.5 tapered fork that’d be preferable.

If you were going to spend the $700 on a set of rebas, maybe just get a whole Marin Alcatraz, polygon tridz or canyon stitched?

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks Frenchman. It needs a 1 1/8th straight steerer. I was trying to avoid spending the $700, the bike was originally built out of a frame won at a race and spare parts we had lying around, so $700 would be way over capitalising it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You might struggle finding an argyle now.
Manitou Circus is the best bet. Cheap, solid chassis, big ol’ spring so it should’t move much.

Cheap forks a pretty bad for dj, they tend to be way too soft, and very inconsistent dampening so it’ll rebound heaps off one lip, then do nothing off the next.
And they break. Nobody likes snapping forks.

Love the lads style though. “New bike time dad” ahaha!
Go on, buy him a tranny PBJ.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
See if you can find the expert version of the manitou circus. A few friends are running it and happiness is all around.

Do RS still do the Pike dj?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Would a set of 26 revs be of any interest?

Or there's a set of straight steerer lyriks on bookface I know of if you want something chunkier?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Manitou Circus all the way. Best DJ fork for the money.
I've had one since they were first released (2nd one now as I couldn't resist the all Black ones for $260 on CRC last year!)
They have honestly been great over the years with very few issues, and are easy to service which is nice.

T-Rex

Template denier
Manitou Circus all the way. Best DJ fork for the money.
I've had one since they were first released (2nd one now as I couldn't resist the all Black ones for $260 on CRC last year!)
They have honestly been great over the years with very few issues, and are easy to service which is nice.
Are you running the Expert or the Comp?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
If the forks cooked, how's the headtube underneath. And have you taken it off. If the forks rat shit, may be other issues aswell. Failing that, brand new old stock vengances can be had cheap.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
If the forks cooked, how's the headtube underneath. And have you taken it off. If the forks rat shit, may be other issues aswell. Failing that, brand new old stock vengances can be had cheap.
How cheap? Where from?

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't need to take the fork off, it fell out of the frame. I've checked the head tube, no cracking and it's not out of round, I've got a set of those T shaped engineering thingies to measure internal diameters.

What's a Vengance?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't need to take the fork off, it fell out of the frame. I've checked the head tube, no cracking and it's not out of round, I've got a set of those T shaped engineering thingies to measure internal diameters.

What's a Vengance?
X-fusion fork that were going cheap on cycling deal but looks like they have finally run out of stock.

T-Rex

Template denier
Bummer. BTW is that Cycling Deal OK to deal with? They also have the Manitous that people are recommending.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
cycling deal are ok, some stuff comes from OS but most of it is local
what model, I think they had experts for a good price (Expert and Pro have the Dorado internals)

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Expert Only for me. steel stanchions and steerer on the comp model make it a fair bit heavier.
If they are a god price on cycling deal, buy them already!!