26 officially done?

Sic

Likes Dirt
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2012/11/26/650b-freight-train#.ULgAdbQTEZN

According to a few people its looking like the industry is moving towards dumping 26 all together. Now the talk has been circulating like this for a little bit and a few manufacturers (Rocky Mountain, Scott) have already sort of moved in this direction but not to this extreme.

RM are using 650B for long travel and 26 for short-mid with keeping 29 for XC but this article is suggesting in no uncertain terms that 26 will only be for DH and junk bikes.

SO where does that leave all the people who currently ride top quality 26 inch wheel bikes?

I have to go pick up my Yeti SB-66 frame next week does this mean I wont be able to get tyres or wheels for it in a few years?

moorey

call me Mia
Eat a dick, manufacturers. If its true, they are cocks of the highest order. People will continue to ride 26, and the gear will still always be available to supply them.
Quote me on this. I WILL CONTINUE TO RIDE AND LOVE 26", EVEN IF IT MEANS RUNNING OLD SHITTERS.....Oh wait, I already ride old shitters:love:

Staunch

Eats Squid
You couldn't officially call 26" done as there'd be an outrage from the DJ/Street community, no one wants to ride a big, bulky 29" dirt jumper.
Personally, I think that XC/AM/Trail will all become 29" (even though I don't agree with it one bit) but I find it hard seeing DH and especially DJ bikes making the detrimental transition across to the larger size.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Fuck 29" for trail and AM too. Gimme fun over fad any day, even if the fad is here to stay. 650b, yeah, I'd consider it, but the rot stops there. End of this.

dunndog

Eats Squid
I hope not.. I'm not a fan at all of 29ers, never ridden one and don't want to.. maybe when i'm 50+. i am very comfy on 26" to do all, i think 29ers look shit and are for lazy cnuts ( maybe good for racing but I don't race), 650b is not on my radar, if they do away with 26 they will be forcing a large group of unwilling riders to change their ways and i don't think that would be beneficial to all concerned. M2C.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm, with the others, it'll be 26 forever in my house, someone wants to come visit, they can leave their 29er at the curb.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I hate what the different wheel sizes have done to to attitudes of bike riders. I also hate that manufacturers are building stuff to seemingly only cater for new people entering the sport and loading them onto the stupid looking heaps of shit that are 29ers.
By going away from 26 inch wheels you are killing the soul machine of mountain biking.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I view 29ers as a bike to be used by a few people:

- XC racers for whom they are legitimately faster on certain tracks.
- Old people.
- People who want a bike to ride purely for fitness.

I think in the DH and DJ and FR arena, 650/29 offer no real advantages when you take in to consideration all the different tracks the bike will be used on and other factors like weight.

For lighter AM and Trail sort riding I think its fairly even between 26 and 650, though marketing would have you believe 650 is far superior.

BUT. Perhaps 650 is the ideal size. Perhaps when they decided on a 26" wheel they just picked a size that looked good enough. Maybe, when rolling speed, weight, strength and all the other factors are considered, 650 is the way. But I doubt we will see that for at least 4 or 5 years, if it gets to the point where every bike is a 650.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
C'mon guys, admit it, 26 is DEAD!!!

Now, all of you, over to the for sale section and post all of your top end 26 gear for sale at stupidly low prices so you can afford the new fad, sorry, essential equipment that will make you ride faster, further and be a better lover. Particulalrly post some SIDS with through axle, lightweight wheel sets etc.

moorey

call me Mia
C'mon guys, admit it, 26 is DEAD!!!Now, all of you, over to the for sale section and post all of your top end 26 gear for sale at stupidly low prices so you can afford the new fad, sorry, essential equipment that will make you ride faster, further and be a better lover. Particulalrly post some SIDS with through axle, lightweight wheel sets etc.
I like your pov and wish to subscribe to your news letter. Where can I send my hard earned?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Time will tell ...

I don't feel compelled to buy 29 ... but I understand it and don't hate that its there and certainly don't care if my riding buddy is on one.
650b is something I'll be on likely for my trail riding / XC kicks ... but I'll also be on 26" for everything else for the short term anyway. I see it as a brave move to jump off the 26" wheels all together for stores and manufacturers, but time will tell if thats a good move or not.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Im not anti 29er or 650b to be honest but im not overly keen on having the current industry standard wheel size being made obsolete. Its not like changing bar sizes where you just need a new stem if they dump 26 its pretty much makes my frame, fork, wheels and tyres obsolete. When you've just dropped +2 grand on a 26 frame thats not a great thing to be hearing.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm struggling to work out who wrote post #8 because it contains some proper English. Theo certainly didn't write that!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Im not anti 29er or 650b to be honest but im not overly keen on having the current industry standard wheel size being made obsolete. Its not like changing bar sizes where you just need a new stem if they dump 26 its pretty much makes my frame, fork, wheels and tyres obsolete. When you've just dropped +2 grand on a 26 frame thats not a great thing to be hearing.....
Agree 100%. I would maybe have gone 650b when I replaced my last frame but having already bought some decent bits that aren't compatible the money pit was very empty. My one and only test ride of a 29er left me thinking, yeah ok but really why?

Capone

Likes Dirt
This wheel size shift by the industry is almost genius, create a problem where one never existed. The crap about 29ers being better rolling over logs etc is a laugh, i have never had a problem getting over stuff on my 26 Anthem and its a ton of fun in the technical stuff.

I think the other thing about the sport is that it is now becoming the new golf. People are lining up to buy bikes and are being sold a dozen lies about why the 26in wheel is dead in the water. Have a look at how fast the 29er Trance took off, and have a look at who rides them.

No bike will make it easier only skills will

DeBloot

Feeling old
It seems life these days is all about choice
try finding plain bloody tuna at the supermarket

Diversify to survive seems to be the trend - not wheel size

Some will stick with 26 no matter what (at least for the foreseeable future)
Some will consider the crossover to 650b
Some just love their 29'ers

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
27.5? The half thread will be locked by Dozer with a withering diatribe.
Nah, I like to see this stuff discussed as the only valid opinions on mountain bikes and the future of the sport comes from you lot; the guys and gals who ride them. We've all got a view on the ideas of some manufacturers and I consider that stuff a ton more important than what a brochure or a website tells me. This is a hot topic in our world and I usually leave these threads open because I love seeing the hate for 29ers, it cracks me up. ;)
How about manufacturers turn the world of roadies on it's head and give them a wheel size that claims to do everything better than what they've been riding since they were kids.