26" trail frames?? Are they around?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys,

I just got a pretty great deal on a 26 inch bike - 2012 Anthem with brand new XTR brakes, XT drivetrain, Hope hubs to Stans wheels, Thomson stem and post etc etc.

Its an XL frame with SID World Cups - I'd love to get rid of the frame and fork and swap over the parts to something slightly more heavy duty. Something around 130/140mm and fairly slack sounds like a lot of fun and perfect to fill in the gap between the SS hardtail commuter and the Downhill bike I have. I like the commencal meta TR, for example.

However, I want to keep the 26 inch wheels. And the 135x10mm rear hub (could convert to 142x12 I think, but I believe boost is not an option with the current hope rear hub).

I'd be looking to buy a new frame and fork secondhand, so I guess I'm just looking for some ideas for bikes to keep an eye out for. So far the Banshee Spitfire looks like it could be an option. Any other suggestions?

moorey

call me Mia
PS, if you’re thinking spitty, need a large, but can only find a medium, my mate has a stealth black large, but wants to move down to a medium.

Z

Zaf

The SB66 and SB66c's are selling second hand at bargains now. Their main pivot bearing can be a bit of upkeep (put aside $150 a season to replace them), but the bike just works. I've been seeing full builds on the Facebook buy, swap, sells going for $2000 with the usual slathering of XTR and Fox Factory.

On the cheaper end of the continued maintenance, the Orange Five or the Alpine are going to be top choices.

If you want something a little bit more burly, instead of "trail", I always wanted to by one of the Rasta colours Kona Process 167's, and I think it is possibly the last beautiful 26" to have been made.

Still want one truth be told.

Shredden

Knows his goats
The SB66 and SB66c's are selling second hand at bargains now. Their main pivot bearing can be a bit of upkeep (put aside $150 a season to replace them), but the bike just works.

On the cheaper end of the continued maintenance, the Orange Five or the Alpine are going to be top choices.

If you want something a little bit more burly, instead of "trail", I always wanted to by one of the Rasta colours Kona Process 167's, and I think it is possibly the last beautiful 26" to have been made.
Good suggestions, I definitely want something smaller - 140mm travel is really a maximum for me. I love the look of the Konas but maybe too big for me.

PS, if you’re thinking spitty, need a large, but can only find a medium, my mate has a stealth black large, but wants to move down to a medium.
I need large for sure, I'm 6'2 or so. Will keep that in mind.

My sweet AF suppressor is 26 but fits 27.5.
https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/sexual-suppressor.311897/
Spitfire as an all round trail bike is gold though.
Mate is selling a tidy SB66, but medium. Too small?
I like the look of the Suppressor, will keep eyes peeled. And yeah, medium SB66 would be too small :/

Binaural

Eats Squid
Those SB66s are drop dead sexy in the flesh. If you can find one at a good price, they would definitely be worth your time to look at.

Reactions: Zaf

moorey

call me Mia
Good suggestions, I definitely want something smaller - 140mm travel is really a maximum for me.

I like the look of the Suppressor, will keep eyes peeled:/
My bad on travel though. It’s 155, though doesn’t feel like that to pedal.

Z

Zaf

Yeah, second that. SB66c is just an amazing all rounder, throw a lighter wheelset and some trail tyres and it'll do XC loops all day, slap a coil-over and some DH rubbers and it'll winch and plummet with the best of them.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
DMR bolt is 26. They claim it is a capable trail bike. There's other slope style type 26 bikes as well.

That Kona is a 27.5 frame running 26 parts. Someone on here was talking about buying one mew recently.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No idea how it would pedal, DMR do a similar pivot for their enduro sled as well. I've never ridden anything that pivots like that. Arrow racing were doing a trail type frame 4 million years ago that pivoted there, I think some black market frames did, and probably better known would be the p-slope. None of them are specifically designed for xc/all mountain riding - having low slack compressor/slalom/4x/ss geometry so how they pedal would also be pretty subjective. It isn't too different (gets asbestos suit on) to the popular gt I-drive. Most of the issue would be the very linear axle path.

Geometry wise I love the way my m4x pedals and rides for all mountain type stuff, a few friends are rocking trek tickets for the same. None of us are trying to set a record and are always looking out for the fun stuff.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Mooreys sweet AF suppressor is also gonna be a bitch to try and get a hold of, they sold bugger all of them.
Geometry wise I love the way my m4x pedals and rides for all mountain type stuff, a few friends are rocking trek tickets for the same. None of us are trying to set a record and are always looking out for the fun stuff.
It’s a shame santa cruz got rid of the blur 4X. Abit more pedal friendly than the slopeys but still retains that fun less is more vibe.

moorey

call me Mia
Mooreys sweet AF suppressor is also gonna be a bitch to try and get a hold of, they sold bugger all of them.
Meh. I have one, Fucks given none :D
They were actually selling them dirt cheap on Merlin not long ago. Read end of my thread.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Meh. I have one, Fucks given none :D
They were actually selling them dirt cheap on Merlin not long ago. Read end of my thread.
Nope. Staying outta there, whenever I look at it I start thinking about gettin my scout resprayed something not black.

Selling them dirt cheap on merlin proves my point about not selling many, they didn’t make any money on em so stopped producing them.

It’s a shame, they make an awesome play bike. And a quick enduro for old dudes who can’t gel with 27.5 :D
Damn sweet riding tranny’s playin hard to get

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I just want snappy and responsive...there's fun to be had in the air.

The old blur 4x was a sexy bike. The stand over was a bit high, but otherwise....mum.

Part of me is hoping the dual slalom from last crank works catches on and some appropriate bikes appear. That part of me is a pretty big part.