26in wheel in 27.5 fork

Beej1

Google pointed me to several threads on this, none of which gave me the exact info I'm looking for.

Situation: Current 26in Lyrik circa 2010 is giving me grief. Tempted to upgrade to current model Pike. I'm happy with every other part of my 26in wheel'd Nomad, but will realistically upgrade it to something 27.5 (possibly another Nomad) no earlier than a year from now, no later than 3 years.

So I'm considering getting a 27.5 Pike so that I can run it in the situation where the aforementioned 27.5 next bike is a build, rather than a full bike purchase.

According to Rockshox specs, a 26in 160mm Pike has an A2C of 542mm, the 27.5in 160mm Pike A2C is 552mm*, and my current 26in Lyrik is 547mm.

So in theory, I'll only be raising the front of my bike 5mm - which is fk all really, considering the bike is designed to run up to a 180mm fork.

My only question is, is there any downside to having the smaller wheel in the slightly longer lowers? Will the fork behave ... I dunno ... badly, from a torsion or flex perspective, with this 'unused' extra bit of lowers? My gut feeling is: no difference at all. But before I go spending $700ish, I thought I'd better off ask around.

(* these figures confound me - to allow for .75in/19mm more wheel diameter, they only have to increase the lowers by 10mm ???)

EDIT - I guess the other thing to consider is: are 26in forks going to start getting cheaper as the number of bikes needing them decreases?

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I'm contemplating the exact same with my Nomad but considering new Lyrik or DVO.

Given bike is ok up to 180mm i can't see the harm

What i can't be bothered with is trying to figure out Boost and 100vs110mm and whether i need to future proof that aspect etc

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I'm running them on 2 26 inch bikes and have no issues at all. A bit of future proofing is all good.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
what is the fork not doing? you can buy a charger damper upgrade kit for the older 26" Lyrik's.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
what is the fork not doing? you can buy a charger damper upgrade kit for the older 26" Lyrik's.
Don't want to speak on nuclear's behalf but my circa 2010 Lyrik is very heavy. It's hard to justify spending much money on them to be honest and the straight 1.5 steerer makes them have $0 resell value

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You won't be raising the front end by 5mm either, it will be less. You can work out exactly how much if you know the head angle.

moorey

call me Mia
Don't want to speak on nuclear's behalf but my circa 2010 Lyrik is very heavy.
Claimed weight is about 2040 (will be 2100+ guaranteed). My last 2 sets of lyriks were 2150-2200 actual. One was 09, the other '10. Hardly a
FWIW, one set was straight 1 1/8", other was 1.5". Thought I'd get a bit more for the 1 1/8, both ended up selling for $325.
All that aside, new lyriks at <$1000 delivered is bloody tempting.....and I'm still surprised at no 26", B given they sold a shit ton of 26" pikes.

moorey

call me Mia
You won't be raising the front end by 5mm either, it will be less. You can work out exactly how much if you know the head angle.
I've got 26x160 pikes arriving in a few days. Can compare exact difference to my 27.5x160 if needed. I recall the A2C being mentioned as about 10mm

moorey

call me Mia
Did you get a good price of the pikes? pondering a 26 set for the 4X bike set at 140mm.
Used set. Bit of a gamble, guy didn't seem to know much, and posted up pic of them filthy, saying uppers were just replaced under warranty... I may end up in fuckwit thread still.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I've got 26x160 pikes arriving in a few days. Can compare exact difference to my 27.5x160 if needed. I recall the A2C being mentioned as about 10mm
why bother? RS list the axle to crown heights.

AXLE TO CROWN 542mm - 26"/160mm travel, 542mm - 27.5"/150mm travel, 541mm - 29"/130mm travel

10mm from 26 to 27.5 pike, 19mm from 27.5 to 29 pike

boom king is talking about the actual height change along the vertical axis as opposed to axle to crown height... ie, a figure that no one else is talking about.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
boom king is talking about the actual height change along the vertical axis as opposed to axle to crown height... ie, a figure that no one else is talking about.
Except the OP who talked about raising the front end 5mm.

To me, when referring to raising something by X amount, the reference is always vertical.

moorey

call me Mia
why bother? RS list the axle to crown heights.

AXLE TO CROWN 542mm - 26"/160mm travel, 542mm - 27.5"/150mm travel, 541mm - 29"/130mm travel

10mm from 26 to 27.5 pike, 19mm from 27.5 to 29 pike

I did get that....but under 0.5deg change in HA isn't doing dick all.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Im on uturn 160mm which are about 2500g so a bit heavier.

Just figure the upgrade would be nice given all the technology since.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Im on uturn 160mm which are about 2500g so a bit heavier.

Just figure the upgrade would be nice given all the technology since.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk
Coil then? Fair point. I am lusting after the new lyriks...but shouldn't be. At my weight, and tame form, and really only still wanting 160mm, they're the last thing I 'need'.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Coil then? Fair point. I am lusting after the new lyriks...but shouldn't be. At my weight, and tame form, and really only still wanting 160mm, they're the last thing I 'need'.
I'm over 100kg when riding and thinking 170mm Lyriks....

Will stretch out Nomad a bit but bike good for 180mm so figure at 170mm Lyrik for 27.5 is ok and future proofs me.

I prefer shuttle days but majority of riding is Youies

moorey

call me Mia
I'm over 100kg when riding and thinking 170mm Lyriks....

Will stretch out Nomad a bit but bike good for 180mm so figure at 170mm Lyrik for 27.5 is ok and future proofs me.

I prefer shuttle days but majority of riding is Youies
I like the way you think. I'll keep an eye out for them, I mean you, next shuttle day.