27.5 is dead

Scotty T

Walks the walk
A bunch of the anecdotes I hear line up with the physics. Angle of attack and larger contact patch = faster. More grip and less deflection = more confidence = faster.

LPG

likes thicc birds
A bunch of the anecdotes I hear line up with the physics. Angle of attack and larger contact patch = faster. More grip and less deflection = more confidence = faster.
Higher rotating weight, higher unsprung weight = Slower and less manoueverable
Reduced stiffness to wheels = less precise steering and lower confidence.

It's all pretty meaningless when you can adjust geometry, tyre design and width, suspension kinematics and overall design to account. Wheel size isn't that important

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...It's all pretty meaningless when you can adjust geometry, tyre design and width, suspension kinematics and overall design to account. Wheel size isn't that important...
This. Personally, I don't notice much difference between 26" and 29" and my times on the ups and downs are very much the same. Going to 29" for me didn't result in some miracle faster times or anything like that. I'm fast on both wheel sizes and they are equal amounts of fun. One thing I will say is that the bigger wheels do make the bike feel like it has more travel (maybe more confidence inspiring?). My 29er with 125mm rear travel feels like it has more suspension travel than the 26er Spitty with 140mm in the rear.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Higher rotating weight, higher unsprung weight = Slower and less manoueverable
Reduced stiffness to wheels = less precise steering and lower confidence.

It's all pretty meaningless when you can adjust geometry, tyre design and width, suspension kinematics and overall design to account. Wheel size isn't that important
Yep, I guess it all comes down to how and what you ride. Maybe I won't like those 29 characteristics because I like chucking it around, but also being a big dude I don't think it would hinder me much.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I've found "chuckability" to be primarily related to wheelbase. The longer the wheelbase, the more the bike feels like a plough machine. 29ers can be very chuckable, but if you go full retard down the super low, super slack, super long path you will not end up with something you'll enjoy chucking around. It will descend (and even climb) like a dream, but on steep techo climbs with rocky ledges it'll be hard going and on descents, corners without berms are a handful.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'd like to know how many people actually care about times. Personally I just enjoy throwing the bike around and kind of over strava PRs which were made by a younger, braver (and lighter) self. These days I just enjoy riding features and railing berms and not snapping my spine on a jump. For that a mid travel 27.5 works well. I also have a medium travel 29 and a XC29. got rid of the mid travel 29er as it wasn't working but the xc has it's place.

clockworked

Like an orange
I stick with 27.5 because of the reduced rotational weight of the wheels. I reckon i can feel the weight on flats and ups

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I actually agree with most of this. Damn.:oops:

https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/opinion-27-5-is-dead
It's a dinky little opinion piece, in my opinion. Same sort of Bullshit as "26ers are dead". I see there are no comments. seems commenting was disabled. I'm sure readers would have plenty to say in reply.

I had my LBS try the 26 is dead spiel on me. - cribbed straight out of the marketing talking point memo. (spesh, in that particular case)

As long as Banshee caters for 26 and 27.5 on the Rune, and normal (in my book) spacing for rear dropouts, and Hope keeps 100 front and 135/142 rear hubs, then I don't have to drink the kool-aid or buy any of this boost shit.

I have a 29er short travel trail bike (also a Banshee), and it runs well on flat or flowy trails, so 29 is good for that. also, stans/hope flowex wheels take 700c touring tyres quite nicely, and if I get the 12mm hope end caps, I could run them on a gravel bike as well, or even a modern disc road bike.

Versatility is the key, and as long as Banshee and Hope keep the modular adaptability in their products, I will continue to support them as a customer.

Worst case scenario, hope and wolftooth have boost adaptor kits to suit hope hubs, if I find a boost frame or fork i must have, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Last edited:

safreek

I'd like to know how many people actually care about times. Personally I just enjoy throwing the bike around and kind of over strava PRs which were made by a younger, braver (and lighter) self. These days I just enjoy riding features and railing berms and not snapping my spine on a jump. For that a mid travel 27.5 works well. I also have a medium travel 29 and a XC29. got rid of the mid travel 29er as it wasn't working but the xc has it's place.
All 26 inch related but seems to me time is more related to how you are mentally at the time.
26 inch carbon hardtail about 26 or so lbs was obviously fastest
26 inch astrix dh, about 49 lbs was second fastest
Slowest was a 33 lbs devinci, by a fair bit.
Comfort factor makes the list reverse in order.
Does this mean anything, probably not. Except they were all 26, who cares what's faster really, 26 still rules for non pretenders :rolleyes:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Atleast road bikes don't seem to have the multiple standards that MTB's have seen in the past 5-10 years.

The UCI rules with an iron fist :)
indeed. 100front 130rear for rim brake bikes w/9mmQR hubs. 100x12mm and 142x12mm for disc brake bikes.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Safety my arse. I guess we will all buy that line. We aren't playing checkers.. Geezzz.

Bike progress are incremental changes now. Larger companies like this since it is lower risk but still gives the FOMO kids a chance to upgrade as 'new size of something' comes along that you just have to have. We can sell new and improved by 33% next model.

Although, you have to accept change and some is proven or more accepted as time rolls on.

My main grump is these stupid hub size changes that could be argued were never really needed and has a flow in of making frames stuck in the middle of these changes obsolete pretty quickly.

I tip my hat to Banshee, Hope, DT Swiss and all other companies that try to provide options here to cater for all sizes of hubs and wheels.

Pressfit BBs are another stupid where screw in ones that have worked for ages and it is very questionable why you would even bother designing a BB work to under preload tension instead. Willing to stand corrected and probably missed the memo on why it is better.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Pressfit BBs are another stupid where screw in ones that have worked for ages and it is very questionable why you would even bother designing a BB work to under preload tension instead. Willing to stand corrected and probably missed the memo on why it is better...
You haven't missed any memo. Pressfit is garbage. Good for the manufacturer (eg. cheap to make) but rubbish for the owner.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with the dislike of all the changes but we are a whinging lot. Not many cars or motorcycles have "standards". Motorcars cannot even standardise a windscreen wiper. I think we are lucky that there are so many interchangeable parts.

moorey

call me Mia
I agree with the dislike of all the changes but we are a whinging lot. Not many cars or motorcycles have "standards". Motorcars cannot even standardise a windscreen wiper. I think we are lucky that there are so many interchangeable parts.
Yes, but realistically, it’s about numbers. If the bike makers thought they could make a dollar making all their own proprietary parts, they would. Cannondale sort of do it, and rely on their cult following to keep supporting them, but even they have essentially bent to reflect that people these days won’t stand for that.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well progress requires changes, we whinge everytime but now we have bikes that are pretty fucking awesome in my opinion. I sold my old Scott a few years ago, short top tube, noisy 2x with no clutch, no dropper, "long" travel 130mm fork, pull shock, steep head angle, very slack seat angle (stupid pull shock frame design), skinny 26" rims, and heres the best one, Shimano XT brake/shifter in one....who remembers those death traps...how quickly people forget shimano XT were once the biggest pile of shit out there.
I for one embrace the changes and progress. Bring it on.