27.5 is dead

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Funnily enough I saw one of these being ridden at my local trails just the other day, that guy had some serious skills to stay upright!!
He was after the the precision and flickability a smaller front wheel affords you in technical sections with the stability, rollability and momentum saving characteristics a larger wheel gives you in rear. Some people think about seconds when they ride, others think about death and constantly eating shit whilst looking hella steezy.

PJO

in me vL comy
He was after the the precision and flickability a smaller front wheel affords you in technical sections with the stability, rollability and momentum saving characteristics a larger wheel gives you in rear. Some people think about seconds when they ride, others think about death and constantly eating shit whilst looking hella steezy.
I'm sure Xups and manuals are easier with a smaller front wheel, less mass and all that! But you'd be eatin' shit if you put that front wheel in any small hole on the trail.
Honestly, did not look steezy in the slightest.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
They are but they're bigger than 29" (700C), who would've thought!

The new wheel size should be 700D (which is 583mm BSD). This will really fuck with the market because it is only 1mm smaller than the 650B!
So-called 27.5" tyres are closer to 700D than they are to 650B.

Reactions: PJO

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I always get confused with the mullet description, because I visualise it as short (small) at the front and long (big) at the back. So I tend to think of these:
Agreed. They're doing it wrong by calling it a mullet. Unless they ride the things backwards ....

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Surely a bunch of you old blokes were running or knew people running mixed 26" front 24" rear bikes back in he early 2000's. I wanna hear about those days, what was the attitude towards mullet bikes then?
oh they were great!...shit to pedal, shit to find tires, shit to find rims, and your spine got all smashed up
Specialized Bighit 24/26 was not a good combo!
same as this

moorey

call me Mia
The Sun Double track...like above...was the 24” rim of choice. I can’t actually what tyre I used to run.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
So-called 27.5" tyres are closer to 700D than they are to 650B.
This all just reminds me of when I needed slicks for the 29'er. Found 700C x 40mm tyres online, arrived as 28x1.75" and then put on a 29" rim.

Bloody stupid 'standards'.

Also, if everything else on a bike is metric, why the hell are we still dealing with wheels & tyres in imperial units? Even the chainstay, hub, spokes, nipples and axle are all in metric, and I even buy my rims on ERD in metric, yet it's an imperial sized rim with imperial measured tyres.

WHY. We even went and introduced a whole new size of mountain bike wheels (I know, not new, but mass-market new) with 650b, but Giant insisted on calling it 27.5 because Fuck yo couch.

/Rant.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Also, if everything else on a bike is metric, why the hell are we still dealing with wheels & tyres in imperial units?
I've seen some terrible justification for new 'standards' but I'd happily make my bikes obsolete if someone created an all metric bicycle. The fork steerers, and I suspect a few other bits are still imperial.

I wish USA would civil war over 'rona and we can finally kill off imperial.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen some terrible justification for new 'standards' but I'd happily make my bikes obsolete if someone created an all metric bicycle. The fork steerers, and I suspect a few other bits are still imperial.

I wish USA would civil war over 'rona and we can finally kill off imperial.
I am with you. I got a bushing for my metric shock that is metric in length and diameter but the bore size is imperial.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
when is the 650b front 29er rear tyre coming to b the next big thing, quick tight turning with the rear rollover of a bigger tyre, frame will need an angleset or b pretty slack to start with

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
when is the 650b front 29er rear tyre coming to b the next big thing, quick tight turning with the rear rollover of a bigger tyre,
I have been thinking the same too. Chopper stylee could be reborn and it makes sense some ways. Can't be worse than a mullet.
No three speed on the top tube needed.