27.5 plus tyre thread

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
noskidmarks clearly thinks i'm wrong, but that's his opinion too.
Whoa there pony. I never said anyone was wrong. I was just asking questions as it didnt quite make sense with my understandings and experiences. Everything has a compromise and even fun can be part of that balance. Ride what you want, just trying to make things clearer to myself and others. I dont want to fork out for new gear to find out thicker casing narrower tyres wouldve done the same or better job. The WC DH guys arent on super fat tyres yet and 2 seconds is a lot for them, not so much for everyone else really.
as i said 3" tyres were the funnest ive ridden, but less fast, less grippy and therfore less fun in other ways. Inwas also on 24" wheels with those tyres so its sort of not worthy of anything but confussing my thoughts. I did like the feel of 2.7 minions over 2.5s but 2.5s did seem faster so also trying to understamd that.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Whoa there pony. I never said anyone was wrong. I was just asking questions as it didnt quite make sense with my understandings and experiences. Everything has a compromise and even fun can be part of that balance. Ride what you want, just trying to make things clearer to myself and others. I dont want to fork out for new gear to find out thicker casing narrower tyres wouldve done the same or better job. The WC DH guys arent on super fat tyres yet and 2 seconds is a lot for them, not so much for everyone else really.
as i said 3" tyres were the funnest ive ridden, but less fast, less grippy and therfore less fun in other ways. Inwas also on 24" wheels with those tyres so its sort of not worthy of anything but confussing my thoughts. I did like the feel of 2.7 minions over 2.5s but 2.5s did seem faster so also trying to understamd that.
i didn't mean it in such a black or white fashion, you just seem pretty convinced a normal tyre will do the job.
the plus tyres are seemingly more fragile to achieve comparable weights at bigger sizes, a DH capable plus tyre would be pretty hefty i imagine.

that said, i did see this earlier today....
2.8 and 2.6" equipped Enduro Evo. hopefully a sign of things to come too, a 2.8" Butcher and Slaughter in grid casing would be a sweet, sweet tyre.

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/industry-bike-check-sebastian-maags-specialized-enduro-evo/

Ivan

Eats Squid
i didn't mean it in such a black or white fashion, you just seem pretty convinced a normal tyre will do the job.
the plus tyres are seemingly more fragile to achieve comparable weights at bigger sizes, a DH capable plus tyre would be pretty hefty i imagine.

that said, i did see this earlier today....
2.8 and 2.6" equipped Enduro Evo. hopefully a sign of things to come too, a 2.8" Butcher and Slaughter in grid casing would be a sweet, sweet tyre.

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/industry-bike-check-sebastian-maags-specialized-enduro-evo/

wait wait wait....as far as I have read, it's very expensive to make prototype tyres, so those puppies must be production items or close to it. Maybe. :)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Isn't that dependent on tyre pressures though? If that bke is tubeless and running 25-28psi the tyre would sit quite nicely, wouldn't it?

Ivan

Eats Squid
That is one crazily squared off tyre. Outside of loamy trails, that tyre is not going to like being leaned over.
The slaughter is a bit like that. If you have to much pressure it feels vague when first leaned over, like your lifting the bike up onto the cornering knobs. On dry trails it drifts then grips (hard!).

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Do take those results with a grain of salt because the tyre dyno used had a small diameter roller that when loaded with a fat tyre, essentially measured the work done in deforming the tyre carcass rather than the rolling resistance.

A fat tyre contact patch grows in length in addition to width and it's the length that has the greatest affect upon the rolling resistance. Specifically an integral function of the contact area fraction combined with the effective track length at that fraction as the tyre rotates.

No doubt though the results will go through the fat bike community like wildfire and encourage tyre manufacturers to chase a "number" that is meaningless relative to the actual rolling resistance.

Grrrrrr......

mitchy_

Llama calmer
my bits have arrived, and i've started to build them up. here's some numbers for you...
all are wheel and tyre, no rotor. the two 29" wheels are setup tubeless, the 27.5 plus actually has a 26x2.1" tube in it :lol: :lol: (was all i had at the time just to check fork clearance)

27.5x3.0" schwalbe nobby nic on a 36mm internal nextie rim - 1995g
29x2.5" maxxis minion dhf on a 30mm internal light bicycle rim - 1905g
29x2.3" specialized butcher control on a 29mm internal alloy roval rim - 1770g

the spesh rim/tyre would be down to the fact the tyre is thin and narrow. pretty sure the minion has a good 200+ grams on it.
not sure how the tube compares to tubeless, i'd hazard a guess and say tubeless might be 50g lighter?

basically puts a fat 29" tyre right in the ballpark with a 3.0" plus tyre.
i've got a 2.8" for the rear too, and i'm going to bet that is within a bee's doodle of a 29x2.3" tyre/rim combo.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Awesome, this will help me choose my wheels. I'm still trying to decide between wide 29" or 27.5+

Ivan

Eats Squid
Spending $1k on wheels is gonna give the missus second thoughts about me, without doing it twice

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Spending $1k on wheels is gonna give the missus second thoughts about me, without doing it twice ��
:lol:

Awesome, this will help me choose my wheels. I'm still trying to decide between wide 29" or 27.5+
to make your choice even harder, i found the 29/27.5+ varies with the bike.

the enduro was great with 29" wheels, but 27.5+ just takes it to another level. it feels unstoppable.

the honzo was fun with 27.5+, and i even set a few PR's... but the 29" wheels just feel more precise, and the marginally better roll over helps the unsprung rear end to get up and over things a bit better.

i've had quite a few requests for comparison photos between my 29x2.3, 29x2.5 and 27.5x2.8 minions. i'll put them in here for all to see.

2.5 DHF vs. 2.8 DHF

2.3 DHR II vs. 2.8 DHR II

Last edited:

goatman

Likes Dirt
Good thread, here's my experience so far.

Got some American Classic Smoking guns 40mm ID for my Lapierre Spicy 27.5. Put a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 + on the front which fits my standard Pike fine.

Running a 2.35 Nobby Nic rear, which has blown out to a 2.55 anyways. Running 13/17 PSI and I weigh 80kg without gear on.

I have dropped 200 grams from my original setup of XT wheels with a Magic Mary Fr/ NN rear so win win for me.

Better grip no question and bombs through rocky stuff like a beast. We ride the Northern Beaches of Sydney so lots of gnarly sandstone tracks mixed with sand, clay and regular dirt.

Front Tyre diameter now around 28.25 so have slackened HA almost half a degree and raised BB slightly (which I needed)

Here's some pics:

Last edited: