27.5 plus tyre thread

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Good thread, here's my experience so far.

Got some American Classic Smoking guns 40mm ID for my Lapierre Spicy 27.5. Put a Maxxis Rekon 2.8 + on the front which fits my standard Pike fine.

Running a 2.35 Nobby Nic rear, which has blown out to a 2.55 anyways. Running 13/17 PSI and I weigh 80kg without gear on.

I have dropped 200 grams from my original setup of XT wheels with a Magic Mary Fr/ NN rear so win win for me.

Better grip no question and bombs through rocky stuff like a beast. We ride the Northern Beaches of Sydney so lots of gnarly sandstone tracks mixed with sand, clay and regular dirt.

Front Tyre diameter now around 28.25 so have slackened HA almost half a degree and raised BB slightly (which I needed)

Here's some pics:

What are your thoughts on the Rekon, does it roll well?

I'd like to try one on the rear. Only early days, but the DHR II might be too much tyre on the rear.

Oh and for anyone wanting to give plus size a go, I have a 2.8 and 3.0 Nobby Nic for sale rather cheaply... Wink wink.

goatman

Likes Dirt
What are your thoughts on the Rekon, does it roll well?

I'd like to try one on the rear. Only early days, but the DHR II might be too much tyre on the rear.

Oh and for anyone wanting to give plus size a go, I have a 2.8 and 3.0 Nobby Nic for sale rather cheaply... Wink wink.
Yeah mate rolls really well. I started with a Magic Mary on the rear, which was terrible for rolling on tarmac, and thought maybe it was the Rekon as well.

As soon as the NN went on the rear it rolls sweet, can easily coast behind my mate with regular tyres on the bitumen.

The Rekon seems to have plenty of grip up front running it at 13 PSI, no squirm so far. Admittedly we don't ride a lot of mud around here so can't comment on that.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Bit of a grave dig but I'm looking at jumping on the semi-fat bandwagon and am undecided about the rear tyre. Anyone using the Rekon for a rear or compared against the Ikon+? The Rekon looks better for cornering but I'm concerned about rolling resistance as a rear tyre.

Also open to any other options you guys have been using since the last update.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Answering my own question here - I went for the Ikon+ which is on the rear of my Norco Torrent hardtail with 2.8" Minion up front. No worries about cornering grip from the Ikon with 40mm wide rims and that much rubber on the ground.

Going between my Sight and the Torrent my brain doesn't always adjust accordingly and I've had 2 pinch flats with the 2.8" Ikon in as many rides. I managed to plug both holes but it's definitely a lightweight tyre.