29&27.5 trail bike for 5k?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
saw an intense at youies, sweet looking ride

guy had a 160mm mondraker -demo at 6K, f*&^ it was a sweet ride

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Bloody hell. Think I'm going to have to change the thread title to "Find me a 29er trail bike for 5k" now...

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
I love the fact that I've only seen a handful on the trail over the years.
Better not get a Banshee then.

But being serious, have you considered a Phantom. Only 105mm travel at the rear, but people run up to 140mm forks.

As an added bonus, it will last forever.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Better not get a Banshee then.

But being serious, have you considered a Phantom. Only 105mm travel at the rear, but people run up to 140mm forks.

As an added bonus, it will last forever.
Nope, hadn't considered it. Assumed any of the "Boutique" brands would be out if reach, or not worth the steep buy in with cheap builds. 105mm is a little light on in anyone's language isn't it? Having said all that, I'd be silly not to consider it!

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Damn, the Giant's do represent cracking value for money. Like the look of the Trance 1, in both advanced and Alu.

Daniel Hale

Damien P is pretty happy with his last time I spoke to him, he said no need to go reign again & that the 5" wasn't holding him back

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wouldn't the Anthem Advanced be more aligned with the Optic than the trance? spec wise much the same but 500 less and has carbon hoops.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Wouldn't the Anthem Advanced be more aligned with the Optic than the trance? spec wise much the same but 500 less and has carbon hoops.
Yep, you're right. I only was looking at the Optic due to it's good rep for riding like a longer travel bike. Then, all this chat of Giant etc has made me widen the search to longer travel 27.5 now.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, you're right. I only was looking at the Optic due to it's good rep for riding like a longer travel bike. Then, all this chat of Giant etc has made me widen the search to longer travel 27.5 now.
I have a '15 trance adv and although a great bike it's never sure what it wants to be, so will consider something bigger, or smaller like new anthem (+140 fork) as it's replacement.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
I was looking to build up a new rig recently and was looking for a 29er with around 130-140mm travel. The jeffsy and prime were at the top of my list.

Then I took a reign out for a spin, just around the wombat, in the wet of early spring and I was surprised at how it rode.

Sure it wasn't super fast pedalling bike but it didn't manoeuvre too badly really. Only sore point for me was the seat angle was too slack and I was too far back even with the saddle slammed forward on the rails.

So I thought why not consider a 27.5. I'd read good things about the patrol, liked the look of it and before thinking about how much a custom build would cost ordered a frame

In the process of building now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

Ben other thing to do is get out of on the sunburn cycles tues night shop ride, owner rides a anthem advanced, one guy has an intense 275 [spder i think] there is a trance & a reign aldo