29&27.5 trail bike for 5k?

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, been a while!
I'm snapping up a new bike next year as a reward to myself for my long service at work. So, I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes. With a budget of 5k, that will dictate model/build. Optic 29 & Stumpy 29. Both 2017. Anyone have feedback on either bike? Cheers guys, bring on the info!

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good news is you should be able to get demos on both those bikes, and see what you like for what you ride.
I would have put the optic closer to the camber than the stumpy.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Good news is you should be able to get demos on both those bikes, and see what you like for what you ride.
I would have put the optic closer to the camber than the stumpy.
Yeah true, though from what I've researched, the Optic is waaay more capable than what the travel indicates. Im leaning towards the Stumpy, as it is apparently pretty hard to fault and has more travel.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Obviously ride both if you can, but I'd lean towards the Stumpy for travel and capabilities, unless the components of the Optic really set it apart at that price point.

Norco retailers are normally nicer people than Spez ones too haha

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
I've ridden the stumpy (new and previous version) and the 2016 (so new version) camber. The new stumpy and camber are awesome. I think the camber rides well above it's travel too and is definitely more quick and efficient than the stumpy. Only problem with the specialized is the poor spec for the money, especially the fork. You have to step up to the Expert models (outside 5K budget) to get a 34 or a Pike, and the 34 on the camber especially helps it ride with more authority.

Geometry on the large optic 29 is very close/almost identical to the camber. I'd have to ride it, but I imagine it wouldn't pedal as well but would be equally if not more capable than the camber.

Overall I'd be tempted to get the 4K alloy Optic and spend the leftover budget on upgrading the wheels.

Last edited:

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
If the 5k is a hard limit, going by RRP you're looking at the Stumpy Comp 29 and Optic A9.1. SRAM GX drivetrain is practically identical. You've got Guide vs Level brakes and 150/135mm Rockshox vs 120/110mm Fox suspension.

I bought an Optic C9.2, and due to kids haven't had time to really dial it to tell you it slays everything. One thing I know is I don't really ride terrain that warrants the extra travel, so I decided to consider only bikes in the 120mm travel range assuming a better pedalling platform (which is not always the case). The other thing for me is I'm a Shimano shifter guy, and the Optic C9.2 was one of the only bikes at the time being specced with XT, a plus for me as it saves cost and hassle of replacing a new drivetrain.

If I was in your shoes I'd be considering what travel you want as it is the major difference between the two and since you're not in Perth you'll get a better chance at demoing both. One other thing - have you considered the Fuel EX 29? The '8' comes in under your budget, and the platform has been getting great reviews over the past 2 years, and fits in the middle with a symmetric 130mm front and rear travel spec. The '8' also runs a Shimano drivetrain if that is your thing.

If you're considering swapping around with 27.5+, then don't get the Optic. Rear clearance is much narrower than the Stumpy or Fuel that it looks like a wider tyre wouldn't fit. I haven't been able to test however I'd reckon it'll clear the top of the tyre ok, but the sides would rub.

If you need any specific info about the Optic I'm happy to answer.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
If the 5k is a hard limit, going by RRP you're looking at the Stumpy Comp 29 and Optic A9.1. SRAM GX drivetrain is practically identical. You've got Guide vs Level brakes and 150/135mm Rockshox vs 120/110mm Fox suspension.

I bought an Optic C9.2, and due to kids haven't had time to really dial it to tell you it slays everything. One thing I know is I don't really ride terrain that warrants the extra travel, so I decided to consider only bikes in the 120mm travel range assuming a better pedalling platform (which is not always the case). The other thing for me is I'm a Shimano shifter guy, and the Optic C9.2 was one of the only bikes at the time being specced with XT, a plus for me as it saves cost and hassle of replacing a new drivetrain.

If I was in your shoes I'd be considering what travel you want as it is the major difference between the two and since you're not in Perth you'll get a better chance at demoing both. One other thing - have you considered the Fuel EX 29? The '8' comes in under your budget, and the platform has been getting great reviews over the past 2 years, and fits in the middle with a symmetric 130mm front and rear travel spec. The '8' also runs a Shimano drivetrain if that is your thing.

If you're considering swapping around with 27.5+, then don't get the Optic. Rear clearance is much narrower than the Stumpy or Fuel that it looks like a wider tyre wouldn't fit. I haven't been able to test however I'd reckon it'll clear the top of the tyre ok, but the sides would rub.

If you need any specific info about the Optic I'm happy to answer.
I'm looking at the Stumpy Carbon comp, it's a bit over budget ($5,750 i think?) and the Optic C9.3 is bang on 5k. I usually wouldn't be considering a bike like the Optic, as the travel is light on, but 90% of my riding is done at Wombat&Hobbs. Having said that, i would still like to go for a razz at the Youies occasionally too. Thinking that the extra travel on the Stumpy will make it a little easier. From what you've experienced so far, does the Optic seem to have longer legs and not the 120 stated?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Ben try & get out to creswick & give the norco a fling

i think the norco will suit the home terrain better, 4.5" will still be enough at youies, says me riding 4" HT there last w/end

then again a good 5" will handle just about everyhting from one type of riding to the other ?camber

Last edited:

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Optic is only 110mm in 29.
If you have Bupa (or a friend /relative?) you can get Trek's 15% off RRP which puts the Fuel EX 9.8 @$5,355
Carbon, XT & Fox 34

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Intense spider 29c expert. 29er, full carbon, XT, fox 34 fork 130mm, rear adjustable 115 or 130mm. $5200ish

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Optic Vs Stumpy

Jesus! Med would be too small unfortunately.
Yeah they are a steal, pity about the size. They are a magic carpet ride of a bike.

As mentioned earlier the fuel is good value and is a great rig with the bupa discount. Has heaps of postive reviews. It was next in line from the intense.

For a little more travel the 2017 trance advanced 1 is incredible value and rides really well. Carbon front triangle & wheels, full xt, top of the line fox, for mid 5k. More squish than you need but the shock can be firmed up. It is 27.5 though..

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Yeah they are a steal, pity about the size. They are a magic carpet ride of a bike.

As mentioned earlier the fuel is good value and is a great rig with the bupa discount. Has heaps of postive reviews. It was next in line from the intense.

For a little more travel the 2017 trance advanced 1 is incredible value and rides really well. Carbon front triangle & wheels, full xt, top of the line fox, for mid 5k. More squish than you need but the shock can be firmed up. It is 27.5 though..
I hadn't considered the Trek, but you're the second person to recommend it, so I'd be silly not to check it out! A Giant was on my original list due to the cracking bang for buck, but i just can't get past the fact they're EVERYWHERE. So are Spesh i know, but I've been on a Cube Stereo for 5yrs and love the fact that I've only seen a handful on the trail over the years.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I tested the stumpjumper 27.5+ short top tube and low bb. The dealer is southern sydney was also very rude and didn't drop one $1. So I bought the fuel and it's awesome.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I tested the stumpjumper 27.5+ short top tube and low bb. The dealer is southern sydney was also very rude and didn't drop one $1. So I bought the fuel and it's awesome.

Yeah what is it with some specialized dealers? Had the same attitude from 2 stores in melb, it's quite off putting. Not even a drink bottle or a couple of free services offered.

A Giant was on my original list due to the cracking bang for buck, but i just can't get past the fact they're EVERYWHERE.
Agree, I have had a few giants but really wanted something a bit less mainstream. The advanced is a stunner in the flesh, don't look at one if you want to make your decision any more confusing ;)

Whats funny now is how many Yeti's I see.. in the groups I ride I am the only one not on a yeti! They are everywhere now.. Seems like the middle aged/40's man's porsche. :)