29" wheels... Which ones?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,
I'm pondering wheels for a bike to suit it and am keen for user perspective. Site reviews can be helpful but it's good to widen the net.

The bike
Banshee Prime 2018 running 160mm Lyrik and X2. Likely to drop the fork to 150mm.

Me
100kgs and 1.93m tall. Happy to climb but I'm enjoying descending a lot at the moment.

I've a set of carbon XC / light trail wheels on it currently and want some wider more robust wheels on as I'm sure I'm going to push the current wheels beyond their remit eventually.

I'm after something robust, reasonable and wide enough to run 2.4 to 2.6 tyres max.
142x12 and 15x100. I'd prefer aluminium as carbon isn't the be all and end all...

So, in the mix

Stan's Flow or Arch

Spank Oozy 345

Nukeproof Horizon.

They're all in the $500 to $800...

Is there something else I should look at? My concern is that either the hubs will be frail or low engagement, or the rims will be like frozen butter and dent as soon as you look at them sideways, or they'll weigh enough to make me hate life.

Is it simply a case of spending more money to get that decent mix?

I've got a set of carbon 29mm internal rims on my Remedy and they're lovely so I don't rely want to go too far beyond or under that.

Any suggestions?

At the moment I'm really thinking the Nukeproof wheels are good enough and just select easier gearing...

Would love to hear if there are any other recommendations. Thanks for reading and anything you can share. :^)

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any reason you wouldnt go the neutron wheels?
Simply down to the hubs, slacker engagement than the Horizon. They're over 2kgs though and when you're used to pedaling wheels weighing ~1600g I'm going to notice it..

Minlak

custom titis
I actually have some bomb proof 29” wheels I would be happy to sell.
Project 321 hubs with Syntace w30 rims 32 hole built up for when I was riding heavy at 150kg plus. Shimano free hub I would let go for $500. 142 x 12 and 15 x 100.

Can also recommend the dt Swiss hubs with 36t upgrade. Although they have 10deg engagement and the project 321 have 3 deg.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Project 321 hubs with Syntace w30 rims 32 hole built up for when I was riding heavy at 150kg plus. Shimano free hub I would let go for $500. 142 x 12 and 15 x 100.

Thanks! PM sent.

Can also recommend the dt Swiss hubs with 36t upgrade. Although they have 10deg engagement and the project 321 have 3 deg.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

If it falls through with the Reverend I'd be happy to give them a new fat home.

Pm sent.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oozy, Arch and Flow are all good wheels. If you want to run fatter tyres the oozy or flow would be my choice.

BT W, you can get said wheels from Starbike, Hibike, bike24 for around $600.

Z

Zaf

If it falls through with the Reverend I'd be happy to give them a new fat home.

Pm sent.

Syntace wheels!!! Man, we're gonna have to high five pretty hard when I roll on down to NSW at the end of the year.
Sure you don't want to get an EXT Storia and some Formula forks for the SAM?

Oddjob

Syntace wheels!!! Man, we're gonna have to high five pretty hard when I roll on down to NSW at the end of the year.
Sure you don't want to get an EXT Storia and some Formula forks for the SAM?
Ssshhhh! I want the Reverend to think they're crap so I can buy them.

I like my suspension tech too much to get Formula forks. He already hates me for making him source parts for a BOS vipr.

No coils for the SAM, too heavy. The Fox36 rc2 and Float X have already been given some lovin from Simon.

I'm running coils on my RM Switch. The X-fusion Vengeance HLR and Swinger 3 way are heavy but surprisingly awesome.

Z

Zaf

Ssshhhh! I want the Reverend to think they're crap so I can buy them.

I like my suspension tech too much to get Formula forks. He already hates me for making him source parts for a BOS vipr.

No coils for the SAM, too heavy. The Fox36 rc2 and Float X have already been given some lovin from Simon.

I'm running coils on my RM Switch. The X-fusion Vengeance HLR and Swinger 3 way are heavy but surprisingly awesome.

In order of reply:

- Syntace Shmyntace!!! Who would ride German wheels?! OP should steer away from them!
- Formula's have a very simple servicing though, they don't use a retarded bladder system that takes negatively pressurising the system. Also, BOS are notorious for their impossible to contact servicing department.
- That's not very #Enduro of you, think my Nicolai will be safely at the 17kg mark.
- Point taken, I'll go get a Float DPX2 for my Nicolai and then I can throw that package on when I see you and we can high five...hard! It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make, and I don't have an air shock for the Nicolai yet.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Flow Mk3 on Hope. I'm 188cm and close to 100kg kitted up on the trail, and ride a Primer which isn't far in travel from your rig. My wheels have survived Maydena, and the usual Hobart rocks, roots and drops no worries.

Oddjob

Flow Mk3 on Hope. I'm 188cm and close to 100kg kitted up on the trail, and ride a Primer which isn't far in travel from your rig. My wheels have survived Maydena, and the usual Hobart rocks, roots and drops no worries.
This is what I'm going to be running on the SAM with some Huck Norris.

RealizE

Likes Bikes
I have the same bike and had the same dilemma just last week.

I ended up going with a CRC custom build. Hope Pro4 32H hubs with Nukeproof Horizon rims. Cost just over $500. The Nukeproof rims were one of the only wide 32H rims available in the CRC build, that's the only reason I went with them.

I contemplated the NukeProof Horizon wheelset, but they only came in 28H and you need to purchase the XD driver separately. So custom build worked out cheaper, stronger and I have pretty red hubs to match the frame.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks all, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm giving serious thought to the Syntace wheels. Hoping they're wide enough to notice the difference to what I currently have.

EX511's are in short supply and I'm also trying not to go all Endurbro with internal width given I'm going to run large 2.4 to 2.6 max...

Oddjob

Thanks all, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm giving serious thought to the Syntace wheels. Hoping they're wide enough to notice the difference to what I currently have.

EX511's are in short supply and I'm also trying not to go all Endurbro with internal width given I'm going to run large 2.4 to 2.6 max...
The Fr570 is tougher again and slightly narrower at 27.5mm id. The weight penalty is 55g per rim. Bike24 have them in stock.

The big daddy of them all is the Mavic 729. This is 710g in 27.5 guise but almost indestructible.