29er build kit - what's around?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Following on from the mid-travel 29er thread, now that i've got a frameset I need to find parts! Lots and lots of options - what to do!?!. This stuff is not 29er specific (obvs) but similar thread title for posterity. Already chosen wheels, fork, brakes.

What stem and bars are people liking? Function first of course, but following that - it's something I'll be chewing on every climb so i don't want it to be butt ugly!
Anyone bother matching these with seatpost clamp, spacers, saddle...

I can see Deity does the whole shebang if you want. Stem, bars, saddle, clamp, pedals... But at a cost.
Old skool me like the Thomson x4 stems.
Then there's renthal, raceface, nukeproof, hope, burgtec... argh!
Will go black on black if its all the colour choice I have. But will probably look for some silver options too.

Too many choices.
Help me out fam!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Vote here for the OneUp carbon bars. Very comfortable, nice geometry, look slick, weigh little.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I've been running spank vibrocore bars and like them. A few on here seem to give them the thumbs up. I think it's debated by some but they do seem to help reduce some of the trail buzz and small vibration. For matchy, matchy - I like the spank Spike stem.

Having said that, I would consider the one up stem and bars as it then allows easy integration of the edc tool into the steerer.

Saddles are very personal but my experience is that SDG don't fit my arse and WTB do. Other than that, Ergon look good and people like them...

dirtdad

Should've added - my luddite self doesn't like the idea of carbon bars given how frequently I run into shit... (like the ground).

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on the Spank bars. I've just switched back over to them after trying a few different types

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I like Raceface stuff - their 35mm bars are stiff without being bone jarring, and their stems do the job without breaking the bank (or anything else). Raceface Turbine cranks are great. Their carbon cranks have a less positive reputation.

Heard very good things about OneUp but never used any of their stuff.

Burgtec stuff can take a hiding and allows for wanky colour matching if required. Industry 9 stems look really nice. Both Burgtec and i9 silver look the shiz.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I like Raceface stuff - their 35mm bars are stiff without being bone jarring, and their stems do the job without breaking the bank (or anything else).
I've got a bar I took off my Rocky because I found them bone-shaking (replaced with the aforementioned OneUps) if you want another :p

Saddles-wise fit is the most important thing. I've been on 155mm Specialized saddles for ~5 years now (Romin on road, Power on Niner, Phenom on Rocky) and they're brilliant (for me). Worth getting your arse measured and then looking to Fabric/Ergon/Specialized for something to match.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've got a bar I took off my Rocky because I found them bone-shaking (replaced with the aforementioned OneUps) if you want another :p
+1. A mate "upgraded" to some Raceface 35mm bars (Atlas in a red anno finish IIRC). They were horrible. Not subtly worse - they had really, really obvious buzz. Never experienced anything else like it. Even just small trail chatter put a lot of buzz through the bars, over actual bumps it was outright distracting. Not sure if he just got the worst set to ever come off the production line, but yeah - they were not good. He always complained about getting numb hands after a long ride before he had the Raceface bars, then once they went on it was after just a trail or two. Got him onto some Vibrocores, and suddenly no more issues!

Jpez

Down on the left!
As above I hated my Raceface bars. Both the actual rough feel and the geo.
I've been a Chromag fanboy for a long time and started with the 780 Fubars and Ranger stem.
to move up to 800 bars the only choice was to go 35mm dia. Was a little worried that they might be harsh or stiff but they soak up the chatter very very well.

I could never run carbon bars. I have this irrational fear they would explode on me.

dirtdad

Kinda not what I was originally asking about.... But I also really love the look of the cannondale hollowgram cranks with the spiderweb looking chainring. Anyone riding some of these?
Just not sure they're solid(gram) enough for all the sandstone I run into.

dirtdad

So... Renthal then :D. I like their push on grips. Might stay away from their stems.

Anyone run nukeproof stuff from crc? Horizon stem and bars look ok.