29er TUBES

Petero

Likes Dirt
Ok guys, quickly, heres the deal. Need spare tubes and some for set of slicks on the commute wheelset. Potentially want to fill the commute ones with some spare stans.

So, lowish weight and removable core would be good. Oh and presta valves.
Tubes from LBS are expensive and no removable core. Have so far seen Continental, Schwalbe, Maxxis online. Any thoughts?
Any info or recommendations would be good.

Cheers!

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure the better conti tubes have removable cores. Also Slime I think are now selling 29er tubes. Pre packaged option?

Gros21

Likes Bikes
giant also sell 29" stubes with teh presta valve $10 each. avantai sell kendra 29" with a car valve $10

Lukespook

Likes Bikes
I use Maxxis Welter Weight 700 x 35/45c Presta Valve tubes (140grams) for both my 29 x 2.1 and 700c tyres - work a treat and not expensive.
Michelin also make similar tubes and some ultralights I am going to try soon.
:single_eye:

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use Maxxis Welter Weight 700 x 35/45c Presta Valve tubes (140grams) for both my 29 x 2.1 and 700c tyres - work a treat and not expensive.
Michelin also make similar tubes and some ultralights I am going to try soon.
:single_eye:
I use 26tubes. Work fine. I reckon they pinch flat less as well.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
filling tubes with stans works - certainly slows punctures so you can get home ... except tubes will be heavy and the stan's is pushed to the outside of tube, so you will still get pinch flats - I did!!. Next option is tubeless, but for a commuter you have set up time and the issue for me is the tyres aren't robust enough, so my commute is road, path, single track, have lost the tyre bead twice on path and of course tyre gets cut up due to variety of surfaces.

so currently experimenting with FOSS tubes, + stans - not in the tube but on the outside of tube. So put in 1 cap of stans then foss tube, my theory is a dual layer approach i.e. if tube is punctured ... maybe, possibly stans will provide a stop at the least it might slow down puncture. Only experimenting of course - ! and only for commuter, for other bikes mainly off road, tubeless is fine.

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Foss tubes filled with a 70:30 mix of Slime Tyre sealant and Stans works fine. But it works just as fine in a normal tube too. General duties bike (Cannondale Trail 29er) gets this treatment (in normal Kenda tubes) and gets spines frequently without going down despite basic thin walled (and tread) Maxxis Crossmark tyres. Just have to keep the pressures over 30 psi to prevent pinch flats.

I too am on the hunt though for 29er tubes with presta valves that have removable cores. The thicker Slime is very hard (or fiddly) to get into presta valves otherwise...