29er Tyre Thread

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Much better than online cage fighting. Making up is cool.

You agreeable poofs!!!
Hand over your 29ers straight away.
You both obviously dont have the correct disagreeable attitude for them.

;)

Yes, before anyone responds negatively to my post.
This is a joke.

MountGower

Likes Dirt
Actually man, I could use someone who is willing to insult me on Saturday mornings if you're ever feeling like it. Anything to get me up those hills a bit quicker. I'll be punishing myself in the Flinders Peak area again this week. Let me know if you are keen on waiting at the top off the climbs and encouraging me on toward excellence.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Im still a fan of crossmarks the 60tpi ones. Slightly thicker sidewall than the exceptions and great on the 29er. (Funny how I didn't like these on the 26er)

I have gone of Aspens, they wear far too quickly and I can not justify replacing tyres every 5-7 weeks. 12 weeks is better.

Racing Ralphs and WTB Nano's are also great. To be honest I find I adapt very quickly and most tires are pressure sensitive ie:crossmarks are great at 32-36psi but skittish at around 40psi depending on track conditions.

I guess my choices are price dependant also. I would run RR's all the time if it wasn't for there high price.

I guess it depends on if you are also prepared to change tires depending on courses/conditions etc and with all the mess/time and risk that I won't reuse the old tire again, I now prefer to run a compromise tire.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im still a fan of crossmarks the 60tpi ones. Slightly thicker sidewall than the exceptions and great on the 29er.
I was prepared to give the Crossmark a go on the front of the Anthem, I thought the additional contact patch would give the tyre a new feel for me - unfortunately not.

Still running it on the back though and happy with it there (26 or 29)

I guess it depends on if you are also prepared to change tires depending on courses/conditions etc
Very good point. I'd love to just have a one-size-fits-all solution that doesn't come off, unless it craps out real bad - and then at which point I probably won't be riding anyway.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
I guess it depends on if you are also prepared to change tires depending on courses/conditions etc and with all the mess/time and risk that I won't reuse the old tire again, I now prefer to run a compromise tire.
Given the price of RR's and lost Stans everytime you swap over, it quickly becomes much more economical to run two sets of wheels. 2nd hand cheapo wheelsets are easy to find and convert to ghetto tubeless. It also means you kill your disks less, your cassette wears less, and you can run proper wheels for training / hucking about, and some more 'slender' options for a race.

The economics are possibly a little bit iffy, but like bikes, wheel-sets should be N+1
;)

p.s. I dont see Crossmark as either a race tyre or training tyre - its neither one nor the other. I'm rocking Renegades on the races wheels, and Bonty XDX's on the training - they are indestructable!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I am an addict

I am the constant tyre fiddler. i cant help it. Always have and always will. i love rubber and have an amazing collection of 29er tyres. Thing is l try something then decide to try something else and the tyre that is removed sits in my under cover but open garage slowly warping/ disintegrating till l want to try it again and l cant get it to seal and spend 30 bucks on CO2 cartridges. So l know l need a air compressor at home. I need to buy one of those beautifully crafted air guns from Koil (cant remember brand). I need to keep my tyres in a dark place and l need to stop changing my tyres and accept that there is a compromise due to weather and terrain. A summer set and a winter set.
Sounds like my AA meeting - yes l am an addict.
I have had some success with running two wheel sets. Just need to be aware that depending on usage they will wear at different rates and need rotation - often.
I use one of my bikes for commuting everyday then off road on weekends - talk about compromises - but isn't that SSing to a T.
Cheers
JD

krisko

Likes Dirt
p.s. I dont see Crossmark as either a race tyre or training tyre - its neither one nor the other.
I guess that's what makes them the perfect compromise tyre for me.
And because they are so popular/mainstream you can pick them up damn cheap which adds an extra star to the scorecard.

29er

Likes Bikes
I am the constant tyre fiddler. i cant help it. Always have and always will. i love rubber and have an amazing collection of 29er tyres. Thing is l try something then decide to try something else and the tyre that is removed sits in my under cover but open garage slowly warping/ disintegrating till l want to try it again and l cant get it to seal and spend 30 bucks on CO2 cartridges. So l know l need a air compressor at home. I need to buy one of those beautifully crafted air guns from Koil (cant remember brand). I need to keep my tyres in a dark place and l need to stop changing my tyres and accept that there is a compromise due to weather and terrain. A summer set and a winter set.
Sounds like my AA meeting - yes l am an addict.
I have had some success with running two wheel sets. Just need to be aware that depending on usage they will wear at different rates and need rotation - often.
I use one of my bikes for commuting everyday then off road on weekends - talk about compromises - but isn't that SSing to a T.
Cheers
JD
I saw air compressors at supercheap for $99 this week in their catalogue. Included short air line and tire inflater as well as other bits you mightnt use. If your going to use one of these for inflating tubeless buy an extra female coupler, remove the plug from the end of the air tank and thread it in there. You do this because the regulator wont flow air fast enough to get some beads to seat.

Im currently running a Panaracer Rampage on the front and a Bontrager XDX on the back both tubeless.

rtl000

Squid
I am the constant tyre fiddler. i cant help it. Always have and always will. i love rubber and have an amazing collection of 29er tyres.
Not quite in the same league, but getting there...

I've tried Ignitors, Crossmarks, Nanoraptors, Weirwolf, Race King, Saguaro and more, but keep circling back to the Saguaro as a good combination of price, grip, weight and longevity in the conditions where I ride. Shale just slices the thinner sidewalls of the Ignitors and Crossmarks, most not even lasting the first 6km lap. The Nano's were better, lasting around 12-15 laps, but the Saguaro outlasts them all, although I've still not come close to actually *wearing* out a single tyre :-(

The 'EXO' sidewalls Ikon are on the list to see how they cope.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Bontrager Rythm strips

Anyone else tried these?
I've just used these to tubeless my blunts and very impressed
Aired up a mountain king 2.2 and ardent 2.4 both with floor pump with no fuss- started to inflate immediately from 1st stoke of the pump
They are a plastic strip that snaps on the rim you also need a valve use a stans one because it has a removable core.
They fit the blunts perfectly and are in symmetrical or non symmetrical( don't know what the non look like)
Not sure how they would go on other rims but very impressed with their performance on these ones.
oh and only $17 ea locally

29er

Likes Bikes
Anyone else tried these?
Aired up a mountain king 2.2 and ardent 2.4 both with floor pump with no fuss- started to inflate immediately from 1st stoke of the pump
They are a plastic strip that snaps on the rim you also need a valve use a stans one because it has a removable core.
They fit the blunts perfectly and are in symmetrical or non symmetrical( don't know what the non look like)
Not sure how they would go on other rims but very impressed with their performance on these ones.
Im using these strips with Bontrager Duster rims. They are the goods. So much better than using Stans strips on my 26er.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Anyone else tried these?
The Bontrager strips fit the Blunts perfectly and you'll find that even the Velocity guys recommend using them in Blunt rims. There has been plenty of discussion about the tubeless options for the Blunt over on the MTBR 29er boards...

krisko

Likes Dirt
Yeah Bontrager tubeless strips are the bees knees! Damn light foolproof and actually reusable unlike other so called solutions.

The IKON looks to be an opened up small block eight tread which is a good thing because we know how well the SB8's work on hardpack. The opened tread should give more opportunity for knobs to penetrate into looser conditions.
I will definitely be giving these a go in the future and look forward to the EXO technology working (fingers crossed)

Nothing is worse than spending big dollars only to have sidewalls fluff up or tear!

krisko

Likes Dirt
Schwalbe Rocket Ron

Oh bought one of these and keen to try it out. Marketed at 520grams it weighed 515gr
and looks to be tacky like its cousin the Racing Ralph.

Other similarities include the renowned bigger bag and triple compound for sure footed stickiness.

Thin sidewalls are suspect but I'll resort to using light weight 26" tubes if the sidewalls split. $100+ for a tyre is getting ridiculous! Given there weight I would still be ahead of other competing 29er tyres......only time will tell.

Bodin

GMBC
Given there weight I would still be ahead of other competing 29er tyres......only time will tell.
S-Works Renegades are lighter & cheaper and I'm not having any trouble with the sidewalls. Not to mention the fact that they're a true tubeless tyre.

The trouble is finding them in the first place. :( I was lucky to order mine when I did.

HUTCHY77

Likes Bikes
S-Works Renegades are lighter & cheaper and I'm not having any trouble with the sidewalls. Not to mention the fact that they're a true tubeless tyre.

The trouble is finding them in the first place. :( I was lucky to order mine when I did.
What sizing are you running bodin?

found the 2 bliss thread.

Last edited:

krisko

Likes Dirt
Schwalbe Rocket Ron

Ok for those interested these tyres are fast and much more!

After all the recent rain I have had the opportunity to ride these in various conditions ranging from road, hardpack, loose over, shale, mud top coat and full mud.

This is easily the best tyre across the board I have ridden to date. What surprised me most was the grip especially for their weight. Standing and climbing on steep climbs with loose over h/p, shale usually reveals a tyres shortcomings. The RR's shone in these conditions hooking up very well with no tyre skip on the downstroke. Other (better)tyres have been a bit hit and miss usually with a few skips of the rear tyre.

It has to be noted that I am using the tyre as a rear with a Schwalbe Racing Ralph up front due to the confidence inspiring big bag and no tread squirm characteristics this has been ideal up front.

It's clear that the Ron is better in mud over hardpack and pure mud than the Ralph or similar better tyres.

The Ron also gets up to speed very quickly and rolls as fast as the best of them also.
If your looking for an all round tread that doubles as a great race tyre give the Rocket a Ron a go.