29er Tyre Thread

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I can officially say the Nobby Nic is the worst tyre you can run on your bike. The sidewalls/ knobs squirm and refuse to bite. The Hans Damf and Magic Mary are great front tyres but crap up the rear. Schwalbe dont have another option for the rear so I have to go Maxxis- you cant mix brands!!!!
I am running a Griffin up the arse which is great for grip but not fast rolling. Probably try an aggressor for the FS and an Ardent Race for the HT.
So many great front tyre options DHF, MM, HD, High Roller but rear tyres seem to be more specific- fast, light or grippy- choose two
And I would say the complete opposite, pushed to the limits where they start sliding, I find the nobby nic the most confidence inspiring tyre for 29 and 27.5, so predictable.

But I'm 76kg kitted up.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I can officially say the Nobby Nic is the worst tyre you can run on your bike. The sidewalls/ knobs squirm and refuse to bite. The Hans Damf and Magic Mary are great front tyres but crap up the rear. Schwalbe dont have another option for the rear so I have to go Maxxis- you cant mix brands!!!!
I am running a Griffin up the arse which is great for grip but not fast rolling. Probably try an aggressor for the FS and an Ardent Race for the HT.
So many great front tyre options DHF, MM, HD, High Roller but rear tyres seem to be more specific- fast, light or grippy- choose two
Completely agree with NN. Haven’t run them for 3/4 years for that reason. Not sure if they have changed tread design but I found the knobs too tall and lacking support so sponged around without ever feeling secure. Maybe if you have fresh loam to rail, but on hardpack or loose over they were shite.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
And I would say the complete opposite, pushed to the limits where they start sliding, I find the nobby nic the most confidence inspiring tyre for 29 and 27.5, so predictable.

But I'm 76kg kitted up.
I was on 2.35 trailstar new tread pattern NN's for a while up front (about 12 months). They felt pretty decent in forest type trails with nice dirt. For me they started to slide really early in the lean and kinda hunt for grip. So they were pretty predictable in that sense. I think on harder surfaces the centre knobs are too tall and spaced out. They are almost the same size as the side knobs. The volume and supple ride is nice. The Michelin Wild AM I have on the front feels a lot more locked in though. Lean and it bites at pretty much any angle. Rolls as fast if not faster too.

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert

But I'm 76kg kitted up.
perhaps weight is a factor.................. I have 30 kgs on you

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I was a Schwalbe Fan Boi for many years, then the side knobs started tearing off on their tyres... suddenly the price tag was no longer justified. Got Maxxis on many bikes now but now favouring Onza, awesome tyres, hard wearing and inspires limit pushing grip.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
NN on the rear with wider rims really didn't do it for me either. Can't put my finger on what annoyed me most but the knobs just felt spongy. Great grip but rolled pretty shite on hardpack with low psi.. Squirmy probably best describes it, not great at my 96kgs..

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I just ran Specialized Fast Track and Maxxis Icon back to back on same trail and the Fast Track killed it. Doesn’t blow up as large but much better grip. Couldn’t see any difference in how it rolls.

slimjim1

I just ran Specialized Fast Track and Maxxis Icon back to back on same trail and the Fast Track killed it. Doesn’t blow up as large but much better grip. Couldn’t see any difference in how it rolls.
I'm running the 2.3 Fast Trak on the rear at the moment and am also surprised at the levels of grip on offer. Braking traction down steep loose stuff is absolute rubbish as you'd expect but I prefer it to any of the Maxxis XC offerings. I saw Jared Graves running one on the rear with a butcher up front so I figured the FT must grip better than it looks, which it does.

mtb1611

Seymour
Time to upgrade my tyres but they definitely wont be Schwalbes. First set I had on the Giant rims were great, second set kept coming off the rims when tubeless. They've been fine since I've been running tubes in them but that kinda defeats the purpose of having tubeless wheels! Have previously run many sets of Maxxis over the years without issue so may have to investigate returning to them.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Time to upgrade my tyres but they definitely wont be Schwalbes. First set I had on the Giant rims were great, second set kept coming off the rims when tubeless. They've been fine since I've been running tubes in them but that kinda defeats the purpose of having tubeless wheels! Have previously run many sets of Maxxis over the years without issue so may have to investigate returning to them.
Which ones? & what casing?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Which Maxxis? Looking at Ardent 29 x 2.25's in 60TPI.
I was referring to the Schwalbe tyres you don't like. I tried a nobby nic snakeskin (lightly used) on a 29er flow ex, but couldn't get the bastard to seat properly on the rim. I've used maxxis, spesh and other Schwalbe tyres before without issue, all seated properly to run tubeless with a floor/track pump.

About to put Schwalbe Hans dampf SG front and Rock Razor SG rear on my Banshee Phantom TF29erHFE bike.

Currently got Maxxis DHRII EXO TR front and Minion SS EXO TR(?) rear. Minion is too squishy and leaks Stans. DHRII is ok, but going SG casings so I can run lower pressures.

mtb1611

Seymour
I was referring to the Schwalbe tyres you don't like. I tried a nobby nic snakeskin (lightly used) on a 29er flow ex, but couldn't get the bastard to seat properly on the rim. I've used maxxis, spesh and other Schwalbe tyres before without issue, all seated properly to run tubeless with a floor/track pump.

About to put Schwalbe Hans dampf SG front and Rock Razor SG rear on my Banshee Phantom TF29erHFE bike.

Currently got Maxxis DHRII EXO TR front and Minion SS EXO TR(?) rear. Minion is too squishy and leaks Stans. DHRII is ok, but going SG casings so I can run lower pressures.
The first set of NN's that came with the bike were fine, and that's why I again went with them. I could get them to seat but they came off the rim absurdly easy. Attempts to get information/"guidance" from the Aus distributor and Schwalbe themselves was a waste of time, they didn't wanna know. I'll never pay a cent (or even use for free come to think of it....) a Schwalbe product again.

slimjim1

Which Maxxis? Looking at Ardent 29 x 2.25's in 60TPI.
If you want a nice tight bead that stays on the rim would not recommend Maxxis (I've had them warrantied for loose beads).

Michelin tyres are relatively difficult to get on but stay put.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want a nice tight bead that stays on the rim would not recommend Maxxis
Dunno about that. Maxxis especially.. All wheels are different, same with the tyres.. I have had shit fitting schwable, maxxis, conti and kenda’s.. Reckon it’s a bit of “luck of the draw”.. Recent crossmarks and ardents are tight as, on my “hand built” wheels..
I love my hans damph but there is something about maxxis tyres that feel so much more reassuring..

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It’s a real lottery. In general I find the schwalbe snakeskins (all I use) to be tighter than any equivalent exo maxxis. Every now any again I get an easy schwalbe but still no seating dramas. Occasional maxxis is a pain in the ass.

I was able to easily seat and seal my hans dampf on a WTB asym wheel, cant get the nobby nic snakeskin to seal and after a few attempts I can't even seat it with an airshot pumped to 150psi.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been riding Schwalbe forever but went off them a couple of years ago due to side knobs ripping off and ridiculous price.

Just recently put on Conti Race King rear and Cross King front with the black Chilli compound to my XC race bike, I have fitted them to my sons bike and mine. Unbelievable tyres, we have now done several training rides, 3 x 4hr endurance races and a 24 solo on them, very happy with them, they are expensive but now my new fave tyre for moving quick, the side walls feel like plastic, very impressive. Grip is great considering the weight and puncture resistance.

Last edited: