29er Tyre Thread

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Re tyres, I predominantly ride in areas that have varying terrain ranging from loose rock, loam, hard pack, the whole gammut and it is all very steep with lots of off camber.

My choice in all but the dry summer time is Schwalbe Nobby Nic, in dry summer it is Rocket Ron. I use tubes and not tubeless on the 29r but will probably make them tubeless in the not too distant future.

These tyre choices for my style of riding give me the best traction I need in this terrain.

I have tried a number of others but these work best for me. My riding buddies tend to use the same except they have the Racing ralph's in place of my Rocket Ron's, again that's their riding style versus mine makes those work best for them.

Hope that give another perspective.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
@Hugor... look nice, bit pricey though
Yeh they were a bit but if either of them saves me from one sidewall tear then they would have paid for themselves.
I've read some very promising reviews but I have no experience with Bonti's.
I'll report when I've riden them a little more.

Last edited:

michaelg

Likes Dirt
Maxxis Icon Tyres

Has Anyone seen the new Maxxis Icon tyres In Sydney or Aus Yet ??? Keen to get a set to replace my Maxxis Crossmark's

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Rim width and tyre width

Is there a formula for matching tyre width to rim width?
I run a pair of Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tyres on 24mm DT wheels.
Conversations have me wondering if the tyre is too wide for the rim. I don`t have any issues with them and haven`t had any pinch flats for over a year (I bet that changes tomorrow). and the set up works well on my regular ride, but now that they are wearing down I was thinking of something different.
I`m also looking at wheels for my wifes bike and thinking Sun Ringle Dusters (28mm) or Black Flags (24mm). She finds my bike to be "flighty" when running the DT wheels but OK on similar width Bontrager wheels. I put it down to the DT rims being lighter than the Bontrager rims even though the wheels themselves are of similar weight (within 25g). It has been suggested that a narrower tyre (2.1 or less) on the DT wheels would help reduce the "flighty" feeling as there is less bag to squirm around.
If there is a right and wrong in regards to tyre width then now would be a good time to experiment.
Thoughts please?
Cheers
MH

a wombat

Likes Bikes
Does anyone know where I can get a Spec Renegade 29er tyre from in Aus ?

Not having any luck with the LBS.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know where I can get a Spec Renegade 29er tyre from in Aus ?

Not having any luck with the LBS.
Most should be able to get the 'Control' version, its just the S-Works thats hard to get.

There is a max of 40grm between the 2 (480 vs 520) so its not a huge deal unless you are a serious weenie....

Win

Likes Dirt
Most should be able to get the 'Control' version, its just the S-Works thats hard to get.

There is a max of 40grm between the 2 (480 vs 520) so its not a huge deal unless you are a serious weenie....
I saw those tyres on your bike the other week, they look wider 1.95. 480grm, that's light

redbruce

Eats Squid
Is there a formula for matching tyre width to rim width?
I run a pair of Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tyres on 24mm DT wheels.
Conversations have me wondering if the tyre is too wide for the rim. I don`t have any issues with them and haven`t had any pinch flats for over a year (I bet that changes tomorrow). and the set up works well on my regular ride, but now that they are wearing down I was thinking of something different.
I`m also looking at wheels for my wifes bike and thinking Sun Ringle Dusters (28mm) or Black Flags (24mm). She finds my bike to be "flighty" when running the DT wheels but OK on similar width Bontrager wheels. I put it down to the DT rims being lighter than the Bontrager rims even though the wheels themselves are of similar weight (within 25g). It has been suggested that a narrower tyre (2.1 or less) on the DT wheels would help reduce the "flighty" feeling as there is less bag to squirm around.
If there is a right and wrong in regards to tyre width then now would be a good time to experiment.
Thoughts please?
Cheers
MH
DT catalogue says max size is 2.4"

krisko

Likes Dirt
Lonsdale St Cyclery in Braddon has both the S Works and Control versions of the Renegades.

My favourite tyre combo Shwalbe Rocket Ron up front (530grams) Renegade S works rear (480grams) tubeless with 80 grams of latex sealant.

The Rocket Ron will bite through soft over hardpack nicely for precision steering where the Renegade will drift.

sossy

Saucier
Just fitted the WTB Wolverine Race 29x2.2 on the Jet. Racing, well, riding this weekend at Beechworth, will report back how they hook up.

These aren't TCS or Tubeless, however, I seated them up with a track pump on Stans arch rims. no problems, a cup of jizz and no leaks, holding air no problems. looking forward to getting them hooked in.

Weight was just over 700g. Not super light, but a nice aggressive tread pattern and plenty of rubber on them.