29er Tyre Thread

Minlak

custom titis
Just fitted 2 x Continental XKing 29 x 2.4 tyres in the Protection Black Chilli. They sealed up straight away and easily into tubeless onto 30mm Syntace rims. I have put about 100-120ml of Trucker Co creame sealant in and used the existing gorilla tape that looked to be perfectly usable after removing the old tyres.

I have been reading about people losing the knobs off the tyres but that appears to be limited to the Asian made ones and the Black Chilli are all made in Germany and not meant to suffer the same fate.

Will take them for a ride Sunday initial impressions say they are a sexy tyre though.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We'll be here. Hopefully with a slightly longer and more diverse lap too. A bit of change in the track regardless...
Awesome ! Its a strange race... so fast I dont even carry spares.

Was saving my skin last 2 years as the Simpson was a week later, good to go this year again.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I don't understand the Schwalbe bashing.

I wear out the tread in mine.

The side knobs have had some reinforcing lately.

My RaRa and Burt combo from the 24 still look new.....

Burt had tons of grip even when the rain came in sideways and Billy was busy shaking stans

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ops... one of your sponsors.

Burt had tons of grip even when the rain came in sideways and Billy was busy shaking stans
Both hands in air... got me there.

My "wank factor" tanwalls disintegrated and (No Schwalbe bashing now) my back up wheels up bodged together were... the 2.4 EVO RaRa that I originally took off to fit the Ardents, and front was a 2.35 Snakeskin Hans Dampf.

That was a 4am changeover, so when I seen you in the morning... I was comfortably back running on Schwalbes, with no more tyre issues.

I'm trying to break away, can't expect me to land on my feet first go :twitch:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got hold of these when Maxxis was in Cairns for the WC. Can't wait to try the Pace tyre out. A new wheelset is on the way and they will be fitted to that when it arrives.

Sent from something to something!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

I do. I hated RR and NN after suffering casing and tread fails in the mid spec range...which still aren't cheap. So switched to Geax and have had no dramas except finding that the TNT casings don't like big blokes on low pressures...nothing a little more air and a lot more finesse won't fix.

But then I do run a Burt on the hardtail, this time with the bling casing thanks to a online special... and it is brilliant on the back. But worth local retail? Nope nope nope. Not when a Vittoria (Geax) AKA is half the price...

k3n!f

leaking out the other end

I could never understand it either after ~18,000km on Schwalbe. Then I had a Racing Ralph which wouldn't bead, and then the three after that lasted <100km before they were dead with sidewall slashes. I always felt if I could get them to the 300km mark, after that they would have no trouble with sidewalls. I dunno if the crap ones die early, or if the sidewalls loosen up and become more compliant and less likely to slice.

Now trying some Maxxis Ikons and the sidewall is pretty tough in comparison. Better grip in the corners, worse under braking. Pretty heavy though....

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I could never understand it either after ~18,000km on Schwalbe. Then I had a Racing Ralph which wouldn't bead, and then the three after that lasted <100km before they were dead with sidewall slashes. I always felt if I could get them to the 300km mark, after that they would have no trouble with sidewalls. I dunno if the crap ones die early, or if the sidewalls loosen up and become more compliant and less likely to slice.

Now trying some Maxxis Ikons and the sidewall is pretty tough in comparison. Better grip in the corners, worse under braking. Pretty heavy though....
I've had several Maxxis Ikon EXO sidewalls fail (rear) whilst at the same time having no RR snakeskin tyre failures (front) on two bikes for the last 3 or so years. Probably not a fair test as the rear may be more prone to poor line selection and has more weight on it. Still, in the hand the RR snakeskin sidewall feels more robust than the Ikon EXO.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I've been running a Specialized purgatory on front and a Captain on the rear. Been really happy with them. Only issue is slight weeping from sidewall threading. Perhaps their grid tyres would be better.
Ran maxxis 2.25 Icon and Ardent race and found them to be ok but nothing special. Keen to try 2.35 Icons and Highroller

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
What is the verdict on Rocket Rons in Canberra? How do they compare with Racing Ralph and Ikons?

They look super light but I don't know how they will go on dusty hard pack.

I haven't tried the Rocket Rons, but I do run Ikon on the rear and Ardent Race on the front. Can't beat the durability of Maxxis and I reckon this is a good setup for Canberra trails.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Ardent Race or Vittoria Saguaro for rear perfect for Canberra.

I have a 2.4 Conti Mountain King up front which I love for grip in the loose over hardpack. It does throw a heap of mud back in your face this time of year though...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm running a Purgatory 2.3 front and back now. It's the best traction I've had on the slippery clay we get west of Melbourne.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Even though I've slashed a couple now, keep going back to the Specialized control tyres.

Purg front and GC rear. Light, pretty fast, pretty grippy. Super easy to set up tubeless. Cheap.

Used to love the butcher as a front too for rowdier duties.

Would love to try some Conti Black Chilli one day, pretty much done with Maxxis now though.