29er Tyre Thread

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been riding Schwalbe forever but went off them a couple of years ago due to side knobs ripping off and ridiculous price.

Just recently put on Conti Race King rear and Cross King front with the black Chilli compound to my XC race bike, I have fitted them to my sons bike and mine. Unbelievable tyres, we have now done several training rides, 3 x 4hr endurance races and a 24 solo on them, very happy with them, they are expensive but now my new fave tyre for moving quick, the side walls feel like plastic, very impressive. Grip is great considering the weight and puncture resistance.
I have had a few sets of x kings on my 26inch, they do grip well but the sidewalls ooze sealant like crazy.. They also don’t hold air tubeless that great on my rims.. Internet tells me i’m not alone on that either.. And they are tiny in 2.2.. Great tyre other than that, they wear really well and have been puncture free.. If they didn’t drip sealant I would try them in 29..

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Been riding Schwalbe forever but went off them a couple of years ago due to side knobs ripping off and ridiculous price.

Just recently put on Conti Race King rear and Cross King front with the black Chilli compound to my XC race bike, I have fitted them to my sons bike and mine. Unbelievable tyres, we have now done several training rides, 3 x 4hr endurance races and a 24 solo on them, very happy with them, they are expensive but now my new fave tyre for moving quick, the side walls feel like plastic, very impressive. Grip is great considering the weight and puncture resistance.
I've ran the X-King / Race King combo on my 26er for ages and have now ran the same thing on the 29er. The 2.4" X-King Race Sport front with 2.2" Race King Protection rear has worked well for me for many years and I'm liking it just as much (perhaps more) on the 29er.

Any idea how the 2.4" X-King compares to its replacement, then 2.3 Cross King? It looks like the 2.4" X-King is discontinued which is a bummer...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have had a few sets of x kings on my 26inch, they do grip well but the sidewalls ooze sealant like crazy.. They also don’t hold air tubeless that great on my rims.. Internet tells me i’m not alone on that either.. And they are tiny in 2.2.. Great tyre other than that, they wear really well and have been puncture free.. If they didn’t drip sealant I would try them in 29..
Are you using the 'Protection' versions ? I've had no issues with sealant leaking.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I've had the supersonic versions that my kids use leak some sealant initially but never had any leaking sealant issues with the protection sidewalls.

Z

Zaf

I've been running Continental ProTection Trail and Mountain King 2.4's on the Nicolai and been really happy with how they behave on the trail so far.
They didn't hold air without sealant, slowly bleeding out the sidewalls over about a 2 hour period, but once sealant added and spun through they've been holding perfectly. It's also really obvious out here if there's any moisture seeping though the tyre, as the dust out here (especially after no rain for months) is super attracted to it and you get these "mud lines" on the walls wherever it comes through.

When these wear/break I've got a set of Specialized Butcher/Slaughter in 2.6/2.3 to throw on the bike.

Z

Zaf

I've been running Continental ProTection Trail and Mountain King 2.4's on the Nicolai and been really happy with how they behave on the trail so far.
They didn't hold air without sealant, slowly bleeding out the sidewalls over about a 2 hour period, but once sealant added and spun through they've been holding perfectly. It's also really obvious out here if there's any moisture seeping though the tyre, as the dust out here (especially after no rain for months) is super attracted to it and you get these "mud lines" on the walls wherever it comes through.

When these wear/break I've got a set of Specialized Butcher/Slaughter in 2.6/2.3 to throw on the bike.
Like... Fucking... Clockwork.
So the mountain king decided to stop working tonight. Can't identify I cut, hole or even a noise, but she's not holding air any more.
Rest day tomorrow, but I think I might just switch them out, and right after I had finished being polite about them.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
^ that's not clockwork, that's Murphy and his stupid backwards laws, alot like when you even think "just one more run"

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shout out to my current 2.25 Aspen's. Over 1500kms on dirt, including a 3hr race in Bendigo, 6hr race on Bright, multiple XCO races in Vic and general training miles. When I replace it I'll go with the exo casing as I've managed to get a few sidewall cuts, but nothing that's actually gone through and given me a flat, knock on wood.

Currently running a 2.25 Rekon on the front of the XC bike and it's a good tyre in-between the Aspen and Ardent race. Will keep running that up front this summer for the extra bite in the dry and dusty conditions. Only 400kms on it so far.

mint355

Likes Dirt
Shout out to my current 2.25 Aspen's. Over 1500kms on dirt, including a 3hr race in Bendigo, 6hr race on Bright, multiple XCO races in Vic and general training miles. When I replace it I'll go with the exo casing as I've managed to get a few sidewall cuts, but nothing that's actually gone through and given me a flat, knock on wood.

Currently running a 2.25 Rekon on the front of the XC bike and it's a good tyre in-between the Aspen and Ardent race. Will keep running that up front this summer for the extra bite in the dry and dusty conditions. Only 400kms on it so far.

Yep +1 for the 2.25 rekon got them on the front and rear of my Tallboy3.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Hi folks,

I am over sliding on soft sand. What tyres. Currently running 2.25 Ardent F / 2.2 Ikon R. XC riding but I am known to just try trails that are well beyond the capability of this particular bike lol. I don't really know my tyres stuff but have the following options in the parts bin:

- 2x RoRo 2.35 (new)
- 1 x ikon 2.35 (new)
- Ardent 2.35 (new)
- Ardent race 2.2 (new)
- Spesh ground control 2.1 (slightly shagged)

Currently running 25mm id rims - not the widest but to be honest I'm not sure if it's the width or height that is going to be the issue). What do you guys recommend for summer dry loose sand conditions? I'm not sure anything above a 2.4 is going to fit on my bike but happy to at least try fit a 2.5 in the front if that helps haha.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've got a Vittoria Barzo on the front that does a better job than the Mezcal that now resides on the back, both in 2.35. I'm dealing with the same sort of surface and it's only getting worse the drier it gets.

The Barzo has decent sized blocks, with a centre ridge so it still rolls. When it does break away it recovers itself fairly quickly.

A wide tyre with low pressure will help a bunch too. I'm a bit extreme at 22f/35r but looove a taily bike and I also deal with commuting with a backpack on hard pack and tarmac.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Help!
I am so lost trying to decide on what tyres my 29 trail bike needs....
Currently running NN, and i don't like them at all, they're not even worn out but the knobs seem too big, they're incredibly noisy they move around and wash out on hard pack a LOT!

I have been looking at Pirelli Scorpion with a dedicated rear 2.4 and a Mixed front, also 2.4
I'm slow and lazy so i'd like something that rolls, and i mostly ride hard pack and rocky shit, i will be getting the stronger option sidewall and i run tubeless.
There are so many brands, patterns, compounds etc and my head is spinning reading forums, reviews etc. I doubt i will replace them with a Schwalbe option.....

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've typically run burly enduro or trail tyres in the past, but have enjoyed running a Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35 as a rear tyre on a hardtail recently. It it true-to-size and surprisingly grippy for what it is. It seems grippier than a standard Rekon in a 2.4 even for some reason? I think maybe because the shoulder knobs stand a little taller than the centre tread it gives a good edge to lean on in turns. Either way it works well!