2x10 BB30 Cranks Recommendation

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Hey All,

I'm after a bid of advice on cranks.
I'm looking to get a new set to upgrade the stock standard that came on my Epic.
The chainrings are getting worn out and replacement rings are not cheap so I might as well upgrade the whole thing as the arms are made of solid alloy (strong but heavy)

The BB is Pressfit30 so that rules out Shimano, or I would've put on an XT cranks
Anyone have experiences with the Sram X0, a few photos of them broken on the net, although I think it was used as a DH.
It will only be used on XC trails.

Cheers

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
X0, S2250, X01, XX1 are all pretty much the same except for the graphics & spiders (which are interchangeable). (X01 also has 2 Q factors available)

XX can be had cheaply as the are loosing popularity due to the odd 120/80 BCD and in favour of above removeable spider options ( Pushys is clearing them through their ebay shop for $212 delivered but be careful looks like they only have the narrow 156 Q factor)

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
X0, S2250, X01, XX1 are all pretty much the same except for the graphics & spiders (which are interchangeable). (X01 also has 2 Q factors available)

XX can be had cheaply as the are loosing popularity due to the odd 120/80 BCD and in favour of above removeable spider options ( Pushys is clearing them through their ebay shop for $212 delivered but be careful looks like they only have the narrow 156 Q factor)
X01 is not available in 2 q factors, it's XX1 that has the option of q156 and Q168.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
You CAN use shimano XT 24mm cranks. You just need the right bottom bracket adaptor. I believe Praxis Works makes a BB that you can press into the PF30 shell and use shimano cranks.

Last edited:

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Cheers I saw that XX on pushys but then read that my frame needs a q168. Are bb30 supposed to be stiffer than the 24mm

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
AFAIK the idea behind the 30mm axle (over 24mm) is stiffer & lighter.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
AFAIK the idea behind the 30mm axle (over 24mm) is stiffer & lighter.
The stiffness gains of the bigger spindle diameter are pretty well offset by the narrower bearing spacing than 24mm. And you get bonus noises too.

As well as the Praxix one mentioned previously, Wheels MAnufacturing also have a range of adaptors to allow 24mm cranks to be fitted to BB/PF30 frames. Some are simple step-downs that press into the BB30 bearings, while others press into the BB30 bearing journals and take a standard press-fit BB to stuff the crank through. This latter type gives you the wider bearing placement of the standard 24mm setup.

bmar560

Likes Dirt
Decided to go with the X0 cranks from jenson.
Do I need a new front derailleur with it ?
The old cranks are 38t/24 the new one is 39t/26

My front derailleur is a SRAM X7, 10-speed, S3 direct mount for DMD, bottom pull
Are these specific to the size of the big ring ?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I just fitted a Shimano front derailleur in place of a SRAM X7 on an E2/S3 direct mount - oddly the Shimano unit has slots to allow adjustment vertically to cater for 36 or 38 tooth big rings where the X7 is fixed... sorry this doesn't help. Maybe the X7's different cage design will just work?

bmar560

Likes Dirt
I just fitted a Shimano front derailleur in place of a SRAM X7 on an E2/S3 direct mount - oddly the Shimano unit has slots to allow adjustment vertically to cater for 36 or 38 tooth big rings where the X7 is fixed... sorry this doesn't help. Maybe the X7's different cage design will just work?
What bike do you have ?
Yes it seems the Shimano Front D is cheaper and better designed that it allows for vertical adjustments depending on the size of the big ring

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I've got a Cannondale Jekyll. Swapped the SRAM drivetrain for Shimano. I've got to say even though it's off-topic, the shifting on the Shimano front I just fitted is pure bliss.. so very very smooth.

Can you eyeball the gap between the teeth on your 38 and the derailleur cage? I'm guessing a 39 chainring will only be a few mm bigger?

bmar560

Likes Dirt
I've got a Cannondale Jekyll. Swapped the SRAM drivetrain for Shimano. I've got to say even though it's off-topic, the shifting on the Shimano front I just fitted is pure bliss.. so very very smooth.

Can you eyeball the gap between the teeth on your 38 and the derailleur cage? I'm guessing a 39 chainring will only be a few mm bigger?
I'll check when I get home but from memory the gap is at least 5mm.
Did you get XT or XTR ?
The XT is about $40 and the SRAM X0 is $74 same price as the XTR.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
The XT is about $40 and the SRAM X0 is $74 same price as the XTR.
XTR, only because some dude in Melbourne was selling it brand new in box on Ebay for $40. :hand: otherwise I would have likely kept the X7. I suspect too part of the shift quality is that I replaced the cable - since it comes up from under the BB it tends to collect crap which finds it's way down the sheath - when I pulled the cable out to run the new one it was pretty cruddy in there. So may be worth your checking - when I installed the new sheath I put one of those condom looking things on it to try and wipe the crud off the cable where it enters the sheath.