3 Weeks in NZ during January?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm planning to head to NZ with the wife for 3 week in January for an mtb holiday. I'll be bringing my Firebird as my only bike while i'm over there.

I was thinking about staying in Rotorua, but is there enough there for 3 weeks worth of riding?

We're open to suggestions on other tracks/areas to ride, including both islands. We'd like to keep rides to a maximum of 1 day in length, so no overnighters.

Thanks all.

solokiter

Likes Bikes
I'm planning to head to NZ with the wife for 3 week in January for an mtb holiday. I'll be bringing my Firebird as my only bike while i'm over there.

I was thinking about staying in Rotorua, but is there enough there for 3 weeks worth of riding?

We're open to suggestions on other tracks/areas to ride, including both islands. We'd like to keep rides to a maximum of 1 day in length, so no overnighters.

Thanks all.
I'd check out Woodhill bike park, 1hr's drive north of Auckland if you can. Great tracks and awesome obstacles if you are into that.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rotorua is gigantic... heaps of riding there. There is also some stuff down at Taupo which is supposed to be excellent though I have never dragged myself away from Rotorua to try it.

As stated above Woodhill is also definately worth a trip.. if you can go there after rain its all the better because the surface is so sandy.

Pick up the book

http://www.kennett.co.nz/index.php/Books/ClassicNewZealandMountainBikeRides

mainly XC orientated but the bible on tracks in NZ.

Really when you go to bike shops there everyone will tell you more "other great" places to ride that you should be in no short supply.

stacky

Likes Bikes
How about Queenstown? I love it down there.
http://www.fat-tyre.co.nz/
Heaps of riding in NZ where ever you go really, but have heard that Rotorua/Taupo/Rangitikei regions are good because theyre all so close to each other.
Oh man, all homesick for green forest and real mountains now, and the smell of manuka not eucalypts :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I'm now a less than 50% chance of getting over there.:(

dirtpig

Likes Bikes
If you were there for a good amount of time don't discount heading down to Wellington for a bit (easy 6 hour drive), its got some fantastic riding in and around the city, as well as some fantastic stuff a bit out of town.

Having said that you could easily spend three weeks riding in Rotorua without getting sick of it... me and a few mates will be there for two weeks from the 28th Dec - feel free to join us for a pedal if you make it!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back on track now for 12 days around the end of September/start of October. I just bought the Kennett book to have a look through.

Any advice on must do rides on the North island would be good. We'll have a car so driving around shouldn't be a problem.:)

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Im heading over this sunday for a month. Getting around in a motor home with my wife and bikes. Doing both islands not riding every day but will do as much as possible. Will post some pics and a report up when I return.

Holf

Likes Bikes
cool, iam looking at NZ in march to :p, but queens town a week then Rotorua other week just not sure where for roto. or any other spots to ride but from queenstown bike park

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We ended up going for two weeks in September/October. Great weather, great trails, everything was excellent. Only problem is the wife doesn't want to move over there!

Boreit

Likes Dirt
doing Roto next week, i know many of the tracks are close to town, will i need a car to get out to some of the tracks or are they all close enough to ride to them? cheers

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I stayed at the Alpin Motel in Sala St and was happy to ride from there to the trails. Getting to some of the outback trails was a good warm up and there are plenty of options to make it fun to get to them. I found Hill Rd the better climb than Direct Rd.