NSW 30.9 seatpost - swap for 31.8 SDS i-beam or Thompson Elite

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
I'm an idiot.

I just bought a brand new iBeam seatpost (20mm offset - 400mm) and matching seat in the wrong bloody size. I also have a Thompson Elite (straight 400mm) from my old bike which has seen about 6 months use and is still basically brand new. Both are 31.8, but I neeeeed a 30.9.

Any nice 30.9 seatpost with an offset/layback would be nice. Carbon would be nicer :)

cheers!

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Could be your lucky day...

Could be interested in for a new 30.9 or 30.0mm SDG I-Beam. It's in a box so it's never seen a frame before, but might require a seat clamp in exchange for a 0.045mm shim (included with the 30.0mm) to meet your required 30.9mm requirement :p

Savy?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Could be interested in for a new 30.9 or 30.0mm SDG I-Beam. It's in a box so it's never seen a frame before, but might require a seat clamp in exchange for a 0.045mm shim (included with the 30.0mm) to meet your required 30.9mm requirement :p

Savy?
You lost me at 'could'...

I think you're saying you have a new SDG I-Beam in 30.9 flavour that you don't need. Then you started talking about shims and clamps and boxes and my eyes glazed over!

I do actully have a thompson seatclamp to match the thompson post 31.8 - it's not a QR, it's bolt up (which personally I prefer) - if you need that?

The more I read your post, the more confused I get.

SkyMonki

Likes Bikes
30.0 + 0.045mm shim = 30.9

Sorry to join in here.. i think SuperSix means he has a new (in a box) 30.0mm SDG I-Beam which if used together with a 0.045mm shim that you can use to make the 30.0 into a 30.9 seatpost.

Thus, 30.0 + 0.045mm shim = 30.9.

With regards to the seatclamp.. (??) if you don't have a shim, use a seatclamp tight enough to hold the 30.0.. (?)

Correct me if I'm wrong SuperSix. :) Cheers!

Last edited:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
SkyMonki got it right on the money!

And yes! The bolt up seat post is preffered more than the QR (gives me confidence in tying the bike somewhere without having the hibbi jibbies of someone stealing my sitting arrangement).

So what do you preffer?
  • SDG I-Beam 30.9mm (slightly used)
  • or SDG I-Beam 30.0mm (in box)

Will have to search for the 0.045shim though... Or... you can fabricate it yourself with tin snips :grin1: