ACT 30.9 seatpost with 8mm rails

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Item: A 30.9mm seatpost with rails to clamp an 8mm post instead of the usual 7mm
Price range/Willing to Pay: Depends on post, condition. Say $20-50?
Extra Info: Short is fine. Not too fussed about offset. No great hurry - collect after ACT lockdown ends?

I have a nice Chromag Overture saddle and I'm currently getting away with it clamped to a regular 7mm rails seatpost, as it's on a DJ bike and not much time or force is used sitting on it. But a proper 8mm rails post would be great.

moorey

call me Mia
Item: A 30.9mm seatpost with rails to clamp an 8mm post instead of the usual 7mm
Price range/Willing to Pay: Depends on post, condition. Say $20-50?
Extra Info: Short is fine. Not too fussed about offset. No great hurry - collect after ACT lockdown ends?

I have a nice Chromag Overture saddle and I'm currently getting away with it clamped to a regular 7mm rails seatpost, as it's on a DJ bike and not much time or force is used sitting on it. But a proper 8mm rails post would be great.
How can I tell? I’ve never looked TBH.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
How can I tell? I’ve never looked TBH.
The vast majority of posts will only be 7mm, so could have "for 7 or 8 mm rails" printed on the clamp or the packaging I guess. Or maybe you can see that when a 7mm saddle rail is clamped in it, the top/bottom of the clamp is snug but the sides have half a mm open.

Saddles with carbon rails often use a different size rail - 7x9mm or 7x10 oval. Posts for these are semi-common. Edit: .. but not quite what I'm after.

The Race Face Turbine (non-dropper) / Evolve posts are sometimes described as being suitable for 7/8mm rails - not sure how they accomplish that. I would have thought if anyone did it, it was Thomson, but apparently not. Google suggests 8mm rails was semi-common on old DH bikes. BMX bikes too, but their posts are usually 25.4mm. Dunno what everyone is mounting their Chromag Overture saddles too - perhaps doing the same as me?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
The vast majority of posts will only be 7mm, so could have "for 7 or 8 mm rails" printed on the clamp or the packaging I guess. Or maybe you can see that when a 7mm saddle rail is clamped in it, the top/bottom of the clamp is snug but the sides have half a mm open.

Saddles with carbon rails often use a different size rail - 7x9mm or 7x10 oval. Posts for these are semi-common.

The Race Face Turbine (non-dropper) / Evolve posts are sometimes described as being suitable for 7/8mm rails - not sure how they accomplish that. I would have thought if anyone did it, it was Thomson, but apparently not. Google suggests 8mm rails was semi-common on old DH bikes. BMX bikes too, but their posts are usually 25.4mm. Dunno what everyone is mounting their Chromag Overture saddles too - perhaps doing the same as me?
Cool. Can't say I've seen it printed on a post. I'll have a look though. The last few words of your last post sound more likely.

PJO

in me vL comy
Might have a giant one, came with a Fizik carbon railed saddle so assume it should be appropriate.
Will have a dig around in the shed to see if I still have it.

moorey

call me Mia
Just had a look at numerous posts and numerous saddles. None of them had any indication of sizing, so I'm no help, sorry.