35 or 40mm AM stem?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Currently got a 50mm Hope DH stem on my Rune. Thinking I might need to go shorter to 40 or even 35mm to see if that improves the handling.
Rune is Large, Bars are renthal Fatbar 780mm alloy 30mm riser.

Any recommendations for a strong AM stem, preferably with zero gap bolt fastening. (ie do the top 2 or bottom 2 bolts up to torque spec before tightening the other 2 bolts)

Was thinking of Thomson X4 40mm (not zero gap but comes recommended), Hope AM/FR 35mm - Any others I should consider? I looked at the Syntace Megaforce 2, but I don't think it's a zero gap fastening stem. I read on forums and from friends that Renthal Apex can be a bit creaky and weird, not so keen on that one.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Are you too stretched presently?
Seems like it. Banshee phantom (L) is much narrower in the bars - 740mm with 40mm stem (partly to deal with tight trees on some local trails). VS Rune (L) with 50mm and 780mm bars. not wanting to cut bars down (you can only make them shorter!) if shorter stem length improves things.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Seems like it. Banshee phantom (L) is much narrower in the bars - 740mm with 40mm stem (partly to deal with tight trees on some local trails). VS Rune (L) with 50mm and 780mm bars. not wanting to cut bars down (you can only make them shorter!) if shorter stem length improves things.
Reason I ask is I went the same way with trying to shorten the cockpit by running a shorter stem. Went from 50 to 35. I actually found it made the handling really sketchy I think because it took weight off the front wheel. I ended up back with the 50mm

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I'd go cheap like this as a tester....
I've bought a few over the years to test systems and found them great.

ForkinGreat

Reason I ask is I went the same way with trying to shorten the cockpit by running a shorter stem. Went from 50 to 35. I actually found it made the handling really sketchy I think because it took weight off the front wheel. I ended up back with the 50mm
I have the 40mm from the Phantom I could try. colour clashes with rest of components, which is a bit of a dealbreaker :rolleyes:, if it works, will go from there I guess

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thomson X4 and Hopes are excellent. I'm not sure zero gap is a good idea. The manufacturing tolerances on mtb gear can be pretty loose and I think this is part of the reported problems with Renthal cockpits.

As mentioned go with something cheap first for a test. If you're in Sydney I might have a X4 you could borrow in 40mm.

ForkinGreat

Thomson X4 and Hopes are excellent. I'm not sure zero gap is a good idea. The manufacturing tolerances on mtb gear can be pretty loose and I think this is part of the reported problems with Renthal cockpits.

As mentioned go with something cheap first for a test. If you're in Sydney I might have a X4 you could borrow in 40mm.
Thanks for the offer Oddjob,, am in Melb, a mate has that stem in 40mm on his bike and reports it as solid, so if the 40mm I've got seems to be the right length, I will probably buy one at some point. Cheers Dude

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Dunno if it's any help to you, but I have an Easton haven stem in 40mm, 35mm clamp though.

Bought it without reading the description properly. Oops

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'd go Hope AM 35mm.

I've been running the 50mm for 3 and a half years with no issues.

Also got plenty in stock at work across all colours. ;)