4 inch and stiff "xc/trail bike" - RM, Turner, Ibis, Pivot,Intense or Santa Cruz?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Is that another forum member's bike? Seem to recall one with similar spec/size posted up several months ago (too lazy to check).

Whatever, sounds awesome. Keen for feedback on the Havens as I'm contemplating a set for a build in the future...

Jubas

Likes Dirt
you got it Doc
Assume the Talas is 140-110mm? Mind doing me a quick favour and seeing how it runs in the 110mm position on the flats/slight descents? I think the A-C for 110mm should be about the same as 120mm in the 32mm stanchion version.. i know it's uncommon, but i'd be interested to hear!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Is that another forum member's bike? Seem to recall one with similar spec/size posted up several months ago (too lazy to check).

Whatever, sounds awesome. Keen for feedback on the Havens as I'm contemplating a set for a build in the future...
yes Sir it is OCDr's stella rig. He has found carbon HT heaven which suits his whippet nature. let you know about the havens- they are shinny

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Assume the Talas is 140-110mm? Mind doing me a quick favour and seeing how it runs in the 110mm position on the flats/slight descents? I think the A-C for 110mm should be about the same as 120mm in the 32mm stanchion version.. i know it's uncommon, but i'd be interested to hear!
yeah i was doing the maths as well and hope 110mm (34) is close to a 120 (32) feel. I like my bikes more racey than slack. A angle headset will do it too. Then 110 for general stuff and 140 for the chunk and stunt. Being a big bloke- 140 with extra sag is also an option too. Will let you know.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Got to ride Big ACs Tallboy LTcarbon and have to say - wow.

It was big and long and had a short stem, wide bars and inline post, was 4/5 inch, light and stiff and moved like a diesel V8 4x4. If I had the money that would be my pick without a doubt.

I have gone in another direction for now and have picked up a secondhand XL Yeti SB95 with fox 34s (talas), Easton Haven wheelset and XO running gear.
It will be more bike than I need but should be alot of fun. I dont race, Im not in a hurry and like the chunk and drops - the Yeti will be great.

It will cost 3 grand less than a carbon Pivot or SCTBLTc with entry level gear

will post picks soon
The SB95 will be great all rounder. The YTs are flat so you won't really notice the weight too much. When you take it to Lysty or the YYs you'll be a happy camper.

I'm guessing that you've read to the MTBR posts about the rear tyre clearance; however, I never saw anything about an XL size so you might be fine running those HDs which are huge for a 2.35.

Get some wide handlebars for it, you seemed to like the 750s on mine.

From what I have read the Havens are fine if you are willing to do some regular maintenance. They redesigned the rear hub for 2103 to fix the issues (not sure if they succeeded); however, the earlier versions had a tendency to lunch themselves if not maintained regularly.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I had the the HD 2.35 just touch the down tube a couple of times, no marks in paint though. It is too much tyre for the rear anyway.

I used the '95 at 110 on anything uphill to keep the front down. That was my setup though, I run a 120-130mm saddle setback because of looooonnnnng femurs. Partly the reason for selling the bike, too small for me.

Should suit JD's manly frame ;)

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Havens are '13, didn't have a problem with the preload on the rear. I did change the bearings though, seals are lacking IMO.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
yeah i was doing the maths as well and hope 110mm (34) is close to a 120 (32) feel. I like my bikes more racey than slack. A angle headset will do it too. Then 110 for general stuff and 140 for the chunk and stunt. Being a big bloke- 140 with extra sag is also an option too. Will let you know.
Yep - that would be perfect thanks mate

Big AC

Likes Dirt
I had the the HD 2.35 just touch the down tube a couple of times, no marks in paint though. It is too much tyre for the rear anyway.

I used the '95 at 110 on anything uphill to keep the front down. That was my setup though, I run a 120-130mm saddle setback because of looooonnnnng femurs. Partly the reason for selling the bike, too small for me.

Should suit JD's manly frame ;)
Havens are '13, didn't have a problem with the preload on the rear. I did change the bearings though, seals are lacking IMO.
Yeah I heard that the ‘13s are better as they reversed the preload mechanism or something which is meant to solve the self destruct problem.

Don’t say that the HD is too much for the back, I have a pacestar in the shed waiting to go on when my NN 2.35 wears out.

XL Black SB95 + Havens = Pimp My Ride.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Not light, not carbon, not 4 inch but stiff and a fun trail bike

well I couldnt afford the light , stiff, carbon, 4 inch trail bike and brought this instead.

I would still put the SCTBLTc, Pivot and Turner Csar in my wish list to fit this wishlist

23 page shopping list- very cool

Attachments

Jubas

Likes Dirt
So, for those of us still battling with this goal, there have been some interesting announcements recently.

La Pierre Zesty Trail - 120mm carbon

1372781522736-1sorapubeb744-670-70.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/lapierre-mountain-bikes-2014-first-look-37803/

and...

Rocky Mountain Instinct MSL - 130mm carbon (inc alu rear end for lower models)

MSL-8-500x398.jpg

http://twentynineinches.com/2013/07/01/rocky-mountain-introduces-2014-instinct-msl-29er/

I wonder if that Instinct MSL will be available as a frameset. Does anyone know whether the Element was offered in a frameset?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh dear. My Ripley shaped epic trail bike dreams are being questioned by that Instinct. Haawt.

The Element was offered as a frameset, but only the 999RSL model. Just to be different it also came with a RP23 Kashima, rather than the Rockshox something the complete bike came with. Hunt around mtbr and you should find more info.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
The Element was offered as a frameset, but only the 999RSL model. Just to be different it also came with a RP23 Kashima, rather than the Rockshox something the complete bike came with. Hunt around mtbr and you should find more info.
In Aus as well though?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
In Aus as well though?
Don't know sorry. Maybe give one of the RM dealers listed on Bikeexchange a call? They may be able to bring in framesets. Looks like the top of the range Instinct carbon comes in frame-only too...

Option B is to sneakily bring one in from overseas. No sexy warranty though.

Unsure about the electronic suspension stuff Lapierre is pushing, despite glowing reviews. In my experience electronics adds complexity and broken. Still want this though. Anyone else seeing a Martini Racing influence....?

p5pb9793712.jpg