$4000 car. Rav4 or similar

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So, what is this sealed tyranny you talk about, and how does one reoil a sealed one
Virtually everything is sealed for life now... With engine oil change intervals running to 30,000km now on some you could argue even the engines are too!!

They usually still have drain and fill points though - its just "sealed" in that they dont ever list it as a service item. And the overhauling shop needs to refill it after they have scraped out the sludge and burnt clutch packs and clogged solenoids...

They dont have dipsticks on the autos anymore though, so there is often an annoying process involved to set the level (on the renault it has to be at a certain temperature, overfill it by a litre and put as stop watch on the dribble that comes out of the level plug...).

They often dont have filters that can be changed too - another reason to get them young and onto a regular change regime.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
don't touch an older Subaru. GUARANTEED to have head gasket issues. I ran a side business years ago repairing subarus on weekends. Open deck blocks, 10mm wide gasket sealing faces between coolant and oil, and blocks machined at the factory with a lump of rock.
How old are you talking? My 2006 still going fine - I imagine anything older still on the road would have avoided/remediated that gasket issue? (not a car person though - genuine question)

Haakon

How old are you talking? My 2006 still going fine - I imagine anything older still on the road would have avoided/remediated that gasket issue? (not a car person though - genuine question)
Anything with a timing belt as I understand it - when they went to current engine that has a chain (I forget the model codes...), they fixed the headgasket hassles. (i think - im a euro car guy....)

But of course like any mass produced consumer product, there doesnt need to be a massive rate of failure to get a reputation and of course many will survive ok long term. Put boost into them though and its a different story.

But given the reputation there might be an aftermarket solution that solves it? Dunno.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
sorry, 2006 is inside the bad era. climb under and look for oil or coolant leaks.

subaru used the EJ20/Ej25 in forester, liberty and outback until 3rd quarter 2010 before swapping to the FJ20/FJ25 engines. early 2010 they got their shit together and milled the block faces smooth, allowing gaskets to seal properly, and moving to a multi layer steel gasket at the factory.

Andrey

Squid
don't touch an older Subaru. GUARANTEED to have head gasket issues. I ran a side business years ago repairing subarus on weekends. Open deck blocks, 10mm wide gasket sealing faces between coolant and oil, and blocks machined at the factory with a lump of rock.
Owned a 2003 Subaru Forester X. Had head gasket issues. Two other people at work with Foresters had the same issue. Subaru's solution was to add coolant conditioner to prevent leaks (similar to Bar's Leaks). It worked, but ended up clogging the radiator. The engine also suffered from piston slap & was noisy, especially when cold. Sounded like a bucket of bolts.

Steer well clear. I would not trust newer models either. I do not believe they have the issue under control.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They only bend when they've overheated and you can tell because they have oil leaking through the head gasket and not just the tappet covers. I've seen them with huge miles and the heads have never been touched. Subaru's don't like crap coolant either, it corrodes the alloy badly and makes the water pumps leak.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Owned a 2003 Subaru Forester X. Had head gasket issues. Two other people at work with Foresters had the same issue. Subaru's solution was to add coolant conditioner to prevent leaks (similar to Bar's Leaks). It worked, but ended up clogging the radiator. The engine also suffered from piston slap & was noisy, especially when cold. Sounded like a bucket of bolts.

Steer well clear. I would not trust newer models either. I do not believe they have the issue under control.
My mates GF had an impreza with over 400K and my brother's GF had an older mid 80's Brumby wagon with 200K that has never had the heads touched. I've got 2 late model impreza's both 10 years never had a head issue.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Meh, same as anything, treat them well and they'll look after you. I just got ride of my MY04 Liberty and never had any issue with the engine, had to replace the clutch once and the suspension and some electrics/actuators (door locks, windscreen fluid pumps, rear wiper) were starting to play up so went with Subaru again after plenty of hunting about, maybe I just got lucky with the old one.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
To be fair I know a lot of CVTs that have lasted well beyond 150,000km mark with no issues. However the problem is when you think that the box is actualyl sealed for life like they say, and then you also want to tow!
I've got an Outlander with CVT. Good and economical driving normally, but add some weight and it's horribly slow and drinks the juice!

Haakon

go tiny, honda jazz..will get you an early 2011-2013, seats fold perfectly flat, i fit 3 bikes in mine, -length of room for a big dog, mates boxer fits in no worries, no timing belt to replace either
And put some silly wheels on it for the roller skate look :)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
They only bend when they've overheated and you can tell because they have oil leaking through the head gasket and not just the tappet covers. I've seen them with huge miles and the heads have never been touched. Subaru's don't like crap coolant either, it corrodes the alloy badly and makes the water pumps leak.
I shot from the hip with my use of “guaranteed”. It wasn’t a 100% failure rate, but it’s way higher then competing cars imo. Enough to steer anyone away from second hand Subaru.

I saw many cars with perfect service history, performed by indi Subaru mechanics who had done everything right. I always used a straight edge on block decks and heads when assessing what to do, I’d see most head gasket failures with block decks and heads that were inside factory warpage spec. On the other hand over heating was so dramatic you didn’t need a straight edge, warpage was in mm and blind Freddy could see it.

Invariable a timing belt needed to be done too, so water pump, tensioner and all pulleys had to be replaced too. Ended up being expensive, I still came in 50-60% of an indi shop which my zero overheads. Kinda miss it now. Wish I had the energy of back then. I had an ej25 removal from the car down to 50 minutes.

safreek

Well thanks for the car ideas, tested a couple of crv, both had a light but noticeable knock coming from the front, I don't know enough about cars to take the chance.
Hyundai Santa Fe, asking price was 3300 so tried the haggle down to 3000, no go, no haggling, toddle ooh buddy I said.
As I needed a car by the end of the day, no more hire car, I settled for the rav 4 after testing that Burt would fit in, swb so a bit of a girlie car.
AND, I have money left to buy an old dh bike or similar.
Thanks for the ideas, I nearly did a Honda jazz but again the knock at the front

Flow-Rider

Burner
I shot from the hip with my use of “guaranteed”. It wasn’t a 100% failure rate, but it’s way higher then competing cars imo. Enough to steer anyone away from second hand Subaru.

I saw many cars with perfect service history, performed by indi Subaru mechanics who had done everything right. I always used a straight edge on block decks and heads when assessing what to do, I’d see most head gasket failures with block decks and heads that were inside factory warpage spec. On the other hand over heating was so dramatic you didn’t need a straight edge, warpage was in mm and blind Freddy could see it.

Invariable a timing belt needed to be done too, so water pump, tensioner and all pulleys had to be replaced too. Ended up being expensive, I still came in 50-60% of an indi shop which my zero overheads. Kinda miss it now. Wish I had the energy of back then. I had an ej25 removal from the car down to 50 minutes.
I used to get a lot of cylinder head jobs from engine reconditions and every subi I got with blown head gaskets had others issues that caused it, they have shit loads of hoses in hard to get to places and people only do the top and bottom hose, original radiators are petty small. Customers always tell you it's never been hot because they never look at the temp gauge, pull the heads off and the bores are discoloured, radiators totally blocked. People don't retention the heads on them either because it's a bit of an effort but everything if is done right they generally last.

That's my experience but hay, what would I know only done it full time for a living.

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread is probably close to end of life but my Subaru experience was best part of 10 years on a 3.0RB wagon that was a great car. My daughter still complains that I sold it and that was years ago!

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've owned a 09 WRX from new and not one issue from the motor and my Mum has the same model in an auto impreza and it hasn't had any issues either. Every brand of car will have a bad run of repairs at some stage, I've worked on a lot of subies and they're a great car and I can even remember working on a SVX flat 6 cylinder with the full glass roof that was a private import before they were even sold here.

Haakon

View attachment 355559
But it has a towbar so now to find a carrier.
Haven’t seen one of those little things for yonks, they didn’t sell many of the SWB - is there any space at all in the back? Assume a bike won’t go in.

They always looks unsteady on the road, how is the back forward pitch over speed humps? Top heavy and short wheelbase.

But it’s just a jacked and chopped Camry so it will be reliable. Won’t handle as well as a Camry though.