44 mm ID 50 OD semi integrated lower head tube bearing fits tapered fork ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Just got a 10 yo hardtail frame and as above wondering if it will take a tapered fork ?
Thanks for replies

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just got a 10 yo hardtail frame and as above wondering if it will take a tapered fork ?
Thanks for replies
You sure those measurements are correct ?

Bearings are usually around ~7mm thick.

Certainly if you have 50mm OD, a 1.5" tapered fork will fit.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Are you measuring the frame or bearings?
What are the ID's...
Also.. what's the frame?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Still a big measurement if there is 54mm to measure anywhere.

Will be IS52 or ZS56.

The top is the same as a 1 1/8 fork, probably IS42 or ZS44.

Seems like a 'standard' 1.5" steerer tube.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
If the head tube ID is 44mm you should be able to run an external cup lower for tapered forks. (EC44)

Edit: something like EC44/40 Cane Creek Part Number BAA0085K. Made for frames with a 44mm Inner Diameter and 1.5 Inch or Tapered Steerer Tubes.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I will break out the calipers when I get home.
The frame is a 2012 Trek 6000 hardtail .
I was resigned to finding a straight steerer fork but now hoping a tapered might fit heaps more options.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Seems like a 'standard' 1.5" steerer tube.
Standard straight 1.5 inch head tube from back in the glorious days of freeride was 49mm ID.

And for your head tube, if it is a 44mm ID you could go for the house favourite:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/hope-pick-n-mix-headsets-bottom-cup/rp-prod70727

Or something less indulgent:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/nukeproof-neutron-bottom-headset-cup/rp-prod124574

I have used the nuke proof headsets plenty of times and not had any issues.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yes but the image implies an integrated 1 1/8 headset, which is usually associated with a 44mm ID head tube.
44mm is associated with semi-integrated, not properly integrated headsets; the latter are 40 or 41mm. At a casual glance the two can be difficult to distinguish externally.

Being 44mm, it is very possible to fit a tapered fork by using an external-cup lower assembly; bear in mind that it will effectively extend the head tube and lift the front end by the depth of the cup and slightly slacken the HA. This will cut a little bit into the maximum fork travel tolerance the frame is designed for.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
44mm is associated with semi-integrated, not properly integrated headsets; the latter are 40 or 41mm. At a casual glance the two can be difficult to distinguish externally.

Being 44mm, it is very possible to fit a tapered fork by using an external-cup lower assembly; bear in mind that it will effectively extend the head tube and lift the front end by the depth of the cup and slightly slacken the HA. This will cut a little bit into the maximum fork travel tolerance the frame is designed for.
Yeah that too...

Also be careful not to void your warranty.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
No on further inspection with calipers Duck you are right its more like 41mm so probably it wont work , back to straight steerers .
Bugger there were some nice ones available.