5010 V2

goobags

Likes Dirt
Oooooooft that looks unreal! I want black reach/bitepoint adjusters now too :(
Might add some to the order when I pick up some floating rotors....... in black :D

For the fork, dare I say....... kashima? Because the rear shocks cashymuch, it would unbalance the bike having black fork stanchions.
The problem is the fork and shock kashima coating is actually a different colour. Does my head in on my Lappy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
How is that cassette? It's on my radar....

Nice build :)
Yeah, it's awesome. Feels stupidly light but shifts as nicely as genuine (with modded cage, refer below).

You definitely need some kind of derailleur cage mod plate to make it work though, the standard mech will mash straight into the larger gears otherwise. I managed to get the XT mid-cage derailleur work with the 11-50t cassette using a Wolftooth WolfCage (partly because I already had it, and partly because the Garbaruk one looks to stick out more and risk getting smashed) and some patient adjustment.

beeb

The problem is the fork and shock kashima coating is actually a different colour. Does my head in on my Lappy
Haha, tweaks the OCD doesn't it.

That being said - Kashima ended up winning. I did another photoshop job of the crappy side-profile pic in the OP, and @Ultra Lord is onto it, it looks really weird with just the Kashima shock shaft.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Haha, tweaks the OCD doesn't it.

That being said - Kashima ended up winning. I did another photoshop job of the crappy side-profile pic in the OP, and @Ultra Lord is onto it, it looks really weird with just the Kashima shock shaft.
Best get a Kamshima Transfer dropper now!

goobags

Likes Dirt
No 185mm travel, no dice. ;)
Didn’t see the Bikeyoke, definitely s better dropper. In all seriousness the Kashima CSU is the way to go, what was the difference in price if you don’t mind? Interesting to hear you’re playing with fork offsets, wouldn’t be many people doing that.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah spill the beans, the differnet fork offsets on the new trannys is whats making me look st different brands. If it’s not too exxy then it’s a non—issue for me and I can keep riding transitions well into the future

beeb

Didn’t see the Bikeyoke, definitely s better dropper. In all seriousness the Kashima CSU is the way to go, what was the difference in price if you don’t mind? Interesting to hear you’re playing with fork offsets, wouldn’t be many people doing that.
Roughly $70 difference between Kashima and black anodising. Still waiting on a confirmed price, but it's sounds like <$400 for the Kashima CSU. E.T.A 4-5 weeks.

Having the different offset on the Ripmo was an interesting experience and seemed to address some low-speed bike handling quirks I dislike (mostly low-mid speed turn in feel). I suspect the difference will be subtle, mostly noticeable on low-speed stuff, but I'll also be changing the head angle around the same time for a bit of extra high-speed burliness, so a direct comparison will be difficult. I loved the front end of the Ripmo when I had the smaller rear wheel in, it was ~65deg head angle and with the shorter (for 29ers) 44mm offset and it just felt really grippy, predictable and stable at all speeds, so looking to recreate a bit of that with this bike. At trail speeds this bike is heaps of fun, but feels a bit unpredictable and can get pinballed in low-speed tech, and gets a bit too squirrely in high speed corners. Offset should help the low speed accuracy, and in combo with a slight slackening of the head angle should help the high speed corners as well. Mid-speed stuff won't really change as it's generally just the easy flowy low-load stuff...

Really just interested to experiment, and feel the difference for myself.

beeb

Rode at You Yangs today. More fun was had. :)
IMAG1437.jpg

Been a biggish week of changes and updates this week.
  • Changed bars to Spank Vibrocores (covered in Post #17).
  • Changed to a Michelin Wild AM front tyre (27.5 x 2.6") - first ride, but loving this tyre for You Yangs in the dry, perfect match for a 30mm IW rim.
  • Added an extra volume spacer to the fork (4 total now @ ~88psi).
  • Freed up front brake pistons as one side's worth were stuck (which explains why the brakes felt weak and I kept getting slight disc warp).

Then I had my Nextie rims arrive. 35mm IW for the front, and 30mm IW for the rear. Build quality seems really good visually, better than expected to be honest. Will post some pics once built up. Quite interested to hear feedback from the builder regarding how they build up. Those and the hubs will be getting collected by the builder on Monday, so I will eagerly await getting to take them for a spin in the future.

And lucky last (though chronologically first), I ordered the 37mm offset CSU earlier in the week, approx. 4 weeks before that one's in though. Not sure if I'll install the angle headset before or when that's done. Getting pretty tempted to drop it in though, so I may end up doing it sooner rather than later.

Despite all the changes and pending changes, still loving the bike. It's just fun. :)

beeb

Don’t believe you.... to have fun bikes have to be loooooong and slack and 29. Atleast you got the carbon thing goin
I'll have slack covered pretty soon too, at around 65 degrees once all's said and done. Have to call it a Santa Cruz Scout. :D

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I'll have slack covered pretty soon too, at around 65 degrees once all's said and done. Have to call it a Santa Cruz Scout. :D
Thats exactly what I’ve been thinking once you started talking about the offset change haha!

I’ll be ordering an angleset for mine soon too, you’ve got me keen for some tinkering.
Slacker again (already overforked to 150mm) and some nice black floating hope rotors........ mmmmmmmm
And some black adjuster screws. God damn!

goobags

Likes Dirt
And lucky last (though chronologically first), I ordered the 37mm offset CSU earlier in the week, approx. 4 weeks before that one's in though. Not sure if I'll install the angle headset before or when that's done. Getting pretty tempted to drop it in though, so I may end up doing it sooner rather than later.
One change at a time I say

beeb

Well, I installed the -1.5degree headset during the week. Took it to You Yangs yesterday, but Cressy was an absolute dust-bowl so didn't get much of a feel for anything other than how much I was struggling for grip in all the deep sand that has appeared. Rockgardens seemed a tiny bit safer, but that also tempts you into going a bit faster, lol... I would say the Michelin Wild AM front tyre struggled a lot more than I expected in the loose sand, and felt I would've found more grip with the DHF judging from past rides in similar conditions. The Michelin is an absolute weapon of the hardpack though, so horses for courses.

New wheels are away being built, currently waiting on spokes to come in I believe, so the DHF and Aggressor will go back on when I get the wheels back. Unfortunately though, the 37mm offset CSU has been delayed thanks to a lack of supply - so that won't happen until mid-December at best, still deciding exactly what I'll do there...

beeb

Prepare for epic TL: DR! :oops:

So, despite 37mm offset CSU's not being available until mid-December - it turns out complete forks in the 37mm offset were available.

Bike really wasn't great with just the angleset and standard 44mm offset fork, front end was very floppy (climbs were a nightmare) and it was hard to get weight over the front generally. A jump from a 40mm to 50mm stem helped with weighting the front, but wasn't ideal in respect to handling (started to feel a bit of that gyroscopic effect) - so temptation and frustration ran a little wild and I ordered a fork. Got it delivered yesterday at work (got home late), cut the steerer, installed the star nut, put it all together with the 40mm stem back on it, setup the fork tuning, etc... Took it for a blast up and down the street. Reaction was :D:D:D and it steered just how I'd hoped.

For those interested - Out of the angleset vs. offset changes - the angleset made the bigger change to bike handling feel, but offset made a way bigger gain to usable performance. The angleset really didn't help get through the choppier stuff that much better - there is a gain but it's marginal at best. It also made the front feel like it was hard to get enough weight onto. The offset change was very noticeable. Playing around in the street - you can feel it makes the initial turn-in a little slower (arguably a good thing on a squirrely bike like this as it holds a line better), and makes it easier to balance weight on the front as the contact point of the tyre doesn't turn inside of the bike as much when turning, so you weight transferring through the bike feels like it's naturally helping load the front, rather than wanting to tip the bike outwards. Realistically on the trails, the only difference you notice is it just feels more stable and very grippy without having to put in a lot of effort in for it. This is only one ride in, but it echos the difference in feel the Ripmo with it's short-for-29er offset fork it had, and it really is a surprisingly noticeable change. A lot more than I had expected to be honest...

Anyway - enough over-analysing! I took it for a ride at Mt Macedon with a couple of mates today. Was still dialing in the fork a touch the first couple of runs but had a blast. Bike is working really sweet and I'm bloody keen to give it a run at Youies as I've pretty much set it up for tracks like Cressy and Travs (you'll still be able to say G'day as you pass my slow ass on the trails though, lol).

This is the geo how it stands currently, with the exception that the wheelbase would be around 1207mm given the shorter offset.

(Link for geo nerds wanting to play with this calcualtor - https://bikegeo.muha.cc/)

The few mm extra on fork height is because the angle headset lower cup was a bit taller than the one that came off.
5010V2XL-Angleset.jpg

The few mm extra on fork height is because the angle headset lower cup was a bit taller than the one that came off.

Also finally got the new decals earlier in the week, so they went on before the fork even got installed!

It's a little dusty post ride - but still pretty in my eyes... :p
IMAG1471.jpg

Fork and angleset detail:
IMAG1472.jpg

And not to be forgotten - also heard back from the wheel builder yesterday that the new wheels are built (Nextie rims and P321 hubs) and I should get them sometime next week. Despite being quite happy with how the Michelin Wild AM performs in most conditions, I'll jump back to the DHF 2.6 front for now (will shape up better on the wider front rim I'm guessing) and the Aggressor 2.5 rear for a bit more tyre volume and rear-brake grip. After roughly two months - That'll be the end of my "dream bike" build, and I might even take some decent pictures to celebrate! :)

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nice writeup.

Can you explain the geo comparo a bit more though...it doesn't seem to manage offset which also affects wheelbase.

beeb

Haha - I do not blame you for missing this one line: :)
This is the geo how it stands currently, with the exception that the wheelbase would be around 1207mm given the shorter offset.
I had to maths that one all by myself, lol.