5th Element Spring Weight?

horsey

Likes Dirt
I am getting a new bike in a couple of weeks. An Iron Horse SGS World Cup. It comes stock with a 400lbs spring.

I weight about 90kg. What spring weight would be best suited for me? Oh and I hate running preload on my rear shocks.

Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated...

Rik

logged out
I think it will depend on how your shock is tuned as to what weight to run. IE, more low speed compression damping means run a softer spring.

ricky lee

Pro Rider
horsey said:
I am getting a new bike in a couple of weeks. An Iron Horse SGS World Cup. It comes stock with a 400lbs spring.

I weight about 90kg. What spring weight would be best suited for me? Oh and I hate running preload on my rear shocks.

Hi I rode the season on my SGS with the standard 400 spring and I only weigh 60ks it was fine as the shock has lots of adjustments to help you get it sweet

S.

ex offender
ricky lee said:
horsey said:

Hi I rode the season on my SGS with the standard 400 spring and I only weigh 60ks it was fine as the shock has lots of adjustments to help you get it sweet
Well that means he'll probably need a 600, being that he is 1.5 times as heavy as you are...

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not realy, I ride a 350 and weigh 70. It depends not only on your weight but the rate of your suspension etc.

S.

ex offender
Turley said:
Not realy, I ride a 350 and weigh 70. It depends not only on your weight but the rate of your suspension etc.
They're both Iron Horse SGS's with the same suspension geometry. It's a fair comparison in this case.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am running a 550lbs shock and I am 90kg, It works really nicely, but if you want your travel to be that little bit smoother, keep with the 400lbs.

stylinruss

Likes Dirt
I would try a 500.
Although it is not the same bike and the setup will be different, I am running a 500 on My giant DH comp and I weigh about 95 kg.
If the leverage ratio is about the same then this could be of use but I don't know what stroke the shock is on the Iron Horse.

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
all this i run this and i run this is total crap!!!!
unless you have the exact same bike it does not matter what you have.

it all depends on that the lever ratio is.
for instance i am 95+ kg (200lbs) and i am running a 600lbs spring on the scott but a 650lbs would be a better option!

btw it came with a 500 as standard!

one of the most important things regarding setting up the 5th is getting the correct spring tim at tf should be able to sort that out. but maybe there is someone closer to home?

Tankass

Likes Dirt
i m 87 kg.and using the 500LBS steel spring on my 5th and 650LBS ti spring.5th element is pretty flexible .so u can have a choice of spring rates while pumping more air into it to tune the compression.