6 Week Weightloss/Fitness Challenge

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
:eek:

I feel bad for putting that in the same post as your congratulations but it's related.. I think my best squat so far has been 60kg not below knees... They're scary to max out.
Do you find maxing out you forget to breathe?
I can handle 12 x 3 @ 135kg's, but i've been encouraged to max out for rugby training just to see my max improving for confidence, i tried 145 and ended up nearly passing out. Not sure whether this is neck related or breathing... Does anyone here who squats for rugby or bodybuilding purposes(ie above 100kg's or anyone who finds they're neck giving them grief at their max) have any idea why this could be? Im tempted to put a towel over the bar to help my neck, but it just looks so ridiculous sometimes when i see people do it. And can excessive stress to your trapz/lower neck actually cause loss of conciousness or dizzyness?

Matt H

Eats Squid
You could try low-bar squats. This is the way most powerlifters position the bar. It's kinda hard to explain so I'm not going to try, but it basically sits on the back and lower part of your delts. It also helps keep your upperbody really tight and stable. The only problem I had was that when I used to do high-mount squats I could squat ass-to-ankle, olympic lifter style, but with a low-bar mount my lower back rounds slightly when I go super deep, so I don't go that deep any more.

I suggest you have a look at Rippetoe's guide to squatting in his book Starting Strength. (I think I posted a link to it in the other thread)

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, according to you Matt I always do low-bar squats then. Across my shoulders, not on my neck.

Icarus

Likes Dirt
You could try low-bar squats. This is the way most powerlifters position the bar. It's kinda hard to explain so I'm not going to try, but it basically sits on the back and lower part of your delts. It also helps keep your upperbody really tight and stable. The only problem I had was that when I used to do high-mount squats I could squat ass-to-ankle, olympic lifter style, but with a low-bar mount my lower back rounds slightly when I go super deep, so I don't go that deep any more.

I suggest you have a look at Rippetoe's guide to squatting in his book Starting Strength. (I think I posted a link to it in the other thread)
Starting Strength is an excellent program/book. I just got my copy from Amazon. Between that and crossfit, you've got everything covered.

Plow King

Little bit.
11km in 65 minutes new record. Booyah.

BTW WTF does METS stand for?

Weigh in tomorrow, hoping for a loss kinda ate a shitload of pork tonight which im sure didnt help. Hopefully my hour + training sessions will prevail.

How are ye all going.

Chris

Plow King

Little bit.
IMO

I love running over 50km in a week. Plus god knows how many hours on cross trainers and bikes and ending up the same weight. Joy to the world!

Matt H

Eats Squid
I either have a sinus infection or prolonged aerosinusitis, so I had to skip the gym tonight. Hopefully it clears up by wednesday...

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm up at Creswick for my final 2 week block subject of my Forest Science degree but when I get back I was hoping to do a similar thing but just see how much weight I could lose on my Pumptrack between mid october and Christmas. A week or two ago I rode it for 3 days of good sessions and lost about 2 kilos so should go from 100-90 over 2 months :)

Great idea by the way Plow King.

Plow King

Little bit.
Is anyone actually still doing this?

If I stay the same weight or put on weight I will be forced to murder several cute chipmunks in cold, cold blood.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Urgh, haven't been to the gym for a while due to illness, and I won't be able to go for the next 10 or so days because I'm getting surgery. So frustrating.

Bergfietsryer

Likes Bikes
Forgot about this

This has been my progress:

Week 0 - 22/9/09 - 80.9kg
Week 1 - 29/9/09 - 81kg
Week 2 - 6/10/09 - 79.3kg
Week 3 - 13/10/09 - 78kg
Week 4 - 20/10/09
week 5 - 29/10/09
Week 6 - 3/11/09

The first week was a disaster but still on track to get to 75kg by 3/11.

Plow King

Little bit.
Week 0 - 22/9/09 - 83
Week 1 - 29/9/09 - 81.6
Week 2 - 6/10/09 - 81.6
Week 3 - 13/10/09 - 80.9
Week 4 - 20/10/09
week 5 - 29/10/09
Week 6 - 3/11/09

GOGOGOGO.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
I'll play

Ordered some protein today, should be here soon. Getting ready to pack on the kilo's (all muscle of course). Feeling in much better shape than this time last month either way... squatting 65kg @ 10 x 3 again and able to do 8 x 3 sets of pull-ups. Still skinny as hell, but had good gains last time I hit the protein so hopefully will be the same this time round. Will start my tracking next week when I get around to weighing myself.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still around the same weight, but am now smashing myself riding to/from work and have cut down on eating a bit - also laid off beer and energy drinks too. It'll take another couple of weeks for my body to adjust but big changes will happen soon :)

Ivan

Eats Squid
I was 1kg down to 76, but have just been smashed by a week long flu.

I wish here was like Japan where people wear masks when they are sick so they don't spread their viruses.

K3lvinator

Likes Bikes
If I stop doing weights I could drop 3kgs easy but I need to maintain muscles and drop % body fat.

Embarking on XC 100kms a week 4x25kms commute to work
50 situps with 10kg weight eachday
Weekend trail ride 2-3 hrs

Wk1 84kg target 78kg
Wish me luck

dog boy

Likes Dirt
yer sure count me in, just started at a new gym should make it easier to train.
current weight 71kg
goal lets say 80ish for the time being.

Week 0 - 22/9/09 - 71
Week 1 - 29/9/09 -70.5
Week 2 - 6/10/09 -
Week 3 - 13/10/09 -still like 70-71
Week 4 - 20/10/09 -
week 5 - 27/10/09 -72.6
Week 6 - 3/11/09 -
lol looks like this has been forgotten.
getting there slowly aiming for .5kg increase every week or atleast every other.