650 wheels to fit my bike!

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Does anyone know of any 650b wheelsets that are a small dia for their size? I am looking to upgrade my Giant band wagon but only have a little room to fit new hoops in.

Alternativly, which set of roadie tyres woul give comparable grip to my maxxis larsens?

Cheers.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Yeah, there are plenty of 650B wheelsets that size up a little on the small size. They're a little hard to find but if you go into a shop and ask for a 26 inch wheelset they should be able to help you out. FFS

Are you going to vote Liberal by any chance?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
This is a great question. I am super keen to do a 650b conversion on my frame, should make it so much faster over the rough stuff but still be just as much fun as my 26" wheels.

Only problem is, as you say, frame clearance. One option I was considering was tracking down some 1.8" 650b tyres so that I could do the conversion but still not affect my frame clearance. Has anyone got any suggestions for nice grippy, big volume 1.8" 650b tyres ?

0psi

Eats Squid
which set of roadie tyres woul give comparable grip to my maxxis larsens?
In my experience, all of them.

There's a fairly solid rumour going around that Tefal have been trying to formulate something with the same amount of grip as a Larsen to coat their frying pans with. As of last week, they are still unsuccessful.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You can do a ghetto tubeless 650B conversion for your 26" Band Wagon frame by using some rims off a junior track bike and some insertion rubber. If you use 29er spokes then you can punch the the ends through the rubber and hammer the ends over to hold the first layer of rubber onto the rim. Slap another layer on with contact glue then you can cut a Larsen like tread pattern into the rubber with a lino cutter. You'll never have a flat and the local newbies will continue to think you are a Guru God.