650b worth it?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
So I'm in the market for a new bike. Its been years since a bought a new bike and I reckon it'll be years until I'm in a position to buy another so I want something that is somewhat futureproof. With the advent of most major brands dropping 26" I'm wondering about 650b. Do people really think this is the future of mtb? I'm in the position that I could buy a pretty decent 26" frame and fork and reuse some pretty decent parts or buy a lower end 650b bike like a trance 27.5 2 and end up with some lower end parts. Waddyareckon?

At this stage I'm leaning toward decent 26" with all the modern standards (tapered HT, bolt through axles etc) over a lower end 650b. Personally I don't think I'll really notice the difference in wheel size, but having never ridden one, I wouldn't really know if 650b is all that different. I'm currently riding a SC heckler and want something similar in travel i.e 130-150mm.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Go to your local Scott, Giant, whatever dealer and take a ride of a 650b, then make an informed decision as to whether it is worth it.

I bought a 650b Genius 740 mid way through the year and want to marry the bike, it is seriously amazing. But if the same bike was produced with 26" wheels I assume I'd still want to have children with it, the frame defines the bikes characteristics more than the wheel size. Sure the size of the wheels makes some difference, but whether that will benefit your style is up to you

Buy a bike based on the frame and its qualities, rather than buy it because its 650b and "cutting edge". If you already have the parts to make a solid 26" build for less than you could buy in a 650b complete, then do it and sink your left over money into an awesome 26" frame, such as a Santa Cruz Nomad!. The way I see it is 26" will exist for sometime.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
If I was 6ft or shorter and in the market for a new bike, I would be getting a 650B. Negligible difference to 26" but still a difference.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone. Some good suggestions. First stop is the LBS to test ride a 650b trance. I must admit to spending too much time reading internet opinion and not enough forming my own.

oriion, what bikes a both compatible with both sizes? Only one I know about is the intense carbine and its a bit beyond my budget.
I'm looking at around $2500 for a new bike or just under $2000 for frame only.

oriion

Likes Dirt
Banshee spitfire mate. both 26 and 27.5 compatible

Talk to Ben at singletracks.com.au - he's been amazing for me, I just ordered a 2014 Spitfire with Cane Creek DB AIR cs for a little bit more than 2K, but i'm sure with a FOX CTD it might be very close to your frame budget.

It's worth asking his availability, thats for sure, he's been a pleasure to deal with.

BKMad

Likes Dirt

Talk to Ben at singletracks.com.au - he's been amazing for me, I just ordered a 2014 Spitfire with Cane Creek DB AIR cs for a little bit more than 2K, but i'm sure with a FOX CTD it might be very close to your frame budget.

It's worth asking his availability, thats for sure, he's been a pleasure to deal with.
Thanks mate, I'll look into it. Looks promising thats for sure.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt

$2150 with the Fox shock. I placed my order last week too. I'll be running my current 26" wheels initially , looking to possibly try 27.5 in future. Looks like a big wheel with 2.1 tyre will fit in my 36 forks too.

Win ! :)

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're looking complete the Trance 2 (140mm/27.5) has an RRP of around $2800.. got mine a fair bit cheaper with a cash deal.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Considering that 27.5 doesn't cost you any more, yes it is worth it!

Now that 27.5 is out and has been widely adopted by most of the major manufacturers, I really don't see the industry going back to 26". For people who don't like 29ers there is now 27.5 which answers most of the gripes people had with 29ers. I can't see too many people saying 'these 27.5ers are too big, heavy and cumbersome....im going back to a 26er".

There will be no reason for bike manufacturers to support the smallest wheel size as it's just no fees-able to make Tires, Wheels, rims, bikes etc for all three wheel sizes.

I'd say your safe with 27.5 for a long time. Now that Giant has released the Trance, I'd be looking at that. I friend of mine bought one a few weeks back and he raves about it.

While they might advertise the Banshee as being both 26 and 27.5 compatible, If you really wanted to you could put 26" wheels on a 27.5 Trance without any fuss.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Ride a few bikes aimed at what you want to do, forget different wheel sizes even exist, buy the one that feels the best.

Old C

Likes Bikes
The Rocky Mountain Element in 26" is compatible with a 27.5". I know that the Warrandyte MTB shop has some excellent deals on 26" bikes that have been converted to 27.5" already.

Remember the words of a certain drug cheat "It is not about the bike". It also depends on your size and preferred riding style. 26" appears to still be the preferred format for downhill, 29" for most XC racers, and 27.5" in 5 inch travel for mad fun everywhere in between!

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and good advice. I'm heading off to the bike shop to test ride a trance as a start, but I'll be seeing what 26in frame options they can do too. If I can get a blur lt frame at a decent price, I'll be sold on it. Otherwise I reckon I'll hold off for a few months. I really want to try the new avanti torrent, but they're not due out till November. So unless the trance really blows me away (or they can get me a blur lt) I think I keep saving and hold off till then.

The spitfire certainly looked promising, but its probably a bit heavy and overkill for most of my riding.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Test back to back and see what you prefer. I did for several weeks and to my surprise the result wasn't even close.
+1 this, best way to decide, is it the future, probably part of the future. Will 26er's be phased out possibly but not anytime soon so you're fine either way. if you're worried get a bike that can run both sizes.

morgs

morgs
Just spent a day at Downiville with a hired Bronson and my Nomad, my wife and I swapping bikes all day. I'm a bit of a wheel size sceptic, not a fan of 29ers at all. But the I'm pretty short. In short, the Bronson just feels bloody fast, this is the second time I've ridden one and that was about two months ago and I had the same feeling then, but there was never any thought about wheel size when I was on them.
The speed carried on stuff like scree slopes and baby head boulder fields was way better than the Nomad, to my surprise. Rooty off camber track was just eaten up, but in big steep stuff with drops, the Nomad still walked all over it. As it should.
I reckon that if the world caved in and I could only have one bike, this may be close to being it. Anyone want to buy a very lightly see Blur XCc?