66's......will my hardtail snap?

harry13

Likes Dirt
hey

i have been looking at set of 66's and ive only recently been told that they will snap my frame (they are 170mm). i have an STP2. and i was wondering what other people think about it?

Thanks.

not sure about breaking your frame, but dont go 66s. Not that great of a fork. I have them and first chance i get to get rid of them i will for some totems.
Have you considered the fox forks with 160mm travel? I rode a set of them on a reign x1 and they felt alot better than the 66s.

contagion

Likes Dirt
not sure about breaking your frame, but dont go 66s. Not that great of a fork. I have them and first chance i get to get rid of them i will for some totems.
Have you considered the fox forks with 160mm travel? I rode a set of them on a reign x1 and they felt alot better than the 66s.
first of all, 66's are not shit. Yours may be, but that could be any number of things. When set up correctly and maintained they are a fantastic fork.

Secondly, STP frames are designed for forks up to 140mm travel. you might be able to get away with 150 but any more and the geo will be crap and the is a small chance of headtube failure, although that's more attributed to triples.

Badams

Likes Dirt
contrary to speedmax downhill crew 66's are great forks, you will bugger up the geometery a bit and always have the thought of breaking the head tube but i wouldnt worry about it. only worry about snapping headtubes with triples on a h/t but then again my 05 norco torrent has had 888's and drop off triples on it for the last 3 years and it hasnt had a problem with bending cracking or anything

Mattyp

Cows go boing
im running 7" boxxer triple's on my stp frame, no fheadtube breakage here. the geo doesnt actually change that much at all as the standard crown rises up alot before it goes into the headtube, whereas the tripple lower crown is pretty flat. Rode this at Buller DH boxing day weekend, on all the tracks and its fine. Dont let people who "think" they know coz they read it in a magazine tell you not to get the forks. 66's will be fine on your bike.

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
i have 170mm 66's on my 06 torrent and it felt a little bit raked at the start but now feels awesome :D
but my frame is meant for long travel forks with all the reinforcing it has around the headtube...
imo tripples or anything over 170mm on an STP is overkill
seeing as its a Street Trail and Park frame..
thats my opinion no offence to anyone with an stp and tripples

first of all, 66's are not shit. Yours may be, but that could be any number of things. When set up correctly and maintained they are a fantastic fork.
from day one they have had spring rattle noises, asked around they all seem to do it. also only haveing one adjustment for rebound sucks balls. the top air chambers are a pain in the ass as most shock pumps dont go under 20psi on the scale. And cannot get them to feel plush. Now i have spoken to many people about this and they all say the same thing, its just marzochi(sp?). So dont try telling me they are great forks.:rolleyes:

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
from day one they have had spring rattle noises, asked around they all seem to do it. also only haveing one adjustment for rebound sucks balls. the top air chambers are a pain in the ass as most shock pumps dont go under 20psi on the scale. And cannot get them to feel plush. Now i have spoken to many people about this and they all say the same thing, its just marzochi(sp?). So dont try telling me they are great forks.:rolleyes:
thats because you have a low end 66, rc2x's were very plush, still not the greatest fork imo but very plush

contagion

Likes Dirt
thats because you have a low end 66, rc2x's were very plush, still not the greatest fork imo but very plush
What he said, and you need a low pressure pump for marzocchi forks. You're being very closed minded about this. I've owned 06 66's and never had a spring rattle. No-one I know who's owned them has ever complained about spring rattle. And you're judging the whole series of forks on one pair, which as stated are the lower end fork.

What year model are they?

What he said, and you need a low pressure pump for marzocchi forks. You're being very closed minded about this. I've owned 06 66's and never had a spring rattle. No-one I know who's owned them has ever complained about spring rattle. And you're judging the whole series of forks on one pair, which as stated are the lower end fork.

What year model are they?
07s, asked a few bike shops and they all say the same thing with the spring rattle. 2 ways to fix it, heatshrink the springs at the ends or go aftermarket springs. Even though been a lower end fork, you would still expect some quality control from such a big brand.

But then again I am been close minded as you said, mate has 66s as well but better model on his faith and they feel alot better. but still not as good as the rockshox

kona4lyf

Likes Dirt
just cause you got a lemon or havn"t set yours up right dont go putting everyone else in your boat!! to the op,my 66 ata are the farkin shit,they are pretty bulletproof at that,no issues what so ever with them and no regrets,totems have there fair share of dramas believe me,just as marzocchi,just as the rest of em,so there is good and bad in everything as im sure you are aware of,just something to take into count.
goodluck;)
i say get em and marzocchi "represent"

contagion

Likes Dirt
contrary to speedmax downhill crew 66's are great forks, you will bugger up the geometery a bit and always have the thought of breaking the head tube but i wouldnt worry about it. only worry about snapping headtubes with triples on a h/t but then again my 05 norco torrent has had 888's and drop off triples on it for the last 3 years and it hasnt had a problem with bending cracking or anything
That's because norco make their freeride hardtail range with a reinforced headtube like you will find on other bikes designed to take triples. STP's don't.

so wat does everyone reckon..should i get them or not?
A straight answer is no. If you are willing to buy/swap your frame for something like a norco sasquatch or other norco FR HT frame, banshee morphine, NS bitch, or similar then yes definitely.

Kane.

Likes Dirt
Mate 66's wont break you STP my mate well his not my mate he has Boxxer reaces on his stp sooo.... go for it

Rik

logged out
I love that line of thinking:
"such and such is fine on such a bike, my mate runs it and it's all good"... until something breaks :rolleyes:

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love that line of thinking:
"such and such is fine on such a bike, my mate runs it and it's all good"... until something breaks :rolleyes:
True that...
As for the question. With personal experience from working in a bike shop, yes it will be fine. Until you put great stress on the headtube, can be done by bouncing the fork or dirt jumping, anything that compresses the fork. It will eventually create weak spots from the headtube bending, then SNAP! :p

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so wat does everyone reckon..should i get them or not?
I think under all the circumstances you should maybe look at pikes there 95-145(i think) and they are a perfect fork, other wise be prepared to crack your frame sooner or later.