XC 7kg Niner One9 RDO SS - AKA Matt justifies his purchases to Mitchy_

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Around September last year I cracked my previous Singlespeed race frame and I set about building the ULTIMATE SS racing bike. It's taken a very long time to come together. FINALLY FINISHED (actually waiting on a Tune 12x142 Maxle.... but there's no confirmed ETA on those)
This definitely aint no "Show Bike" built to be stupid light and taken pics of! The Niner was built for XC Marathon and XCO racing.
Have a Formula 33 29" Fork on the way ready for the Mt Annan 24hr

Finished pic/specs at top... scroll down for MOAR pics and build story bits

Final Build
Frame - Niner One9RDO
Fork - Niner RDO Rigid
Handlebars - Syntace Low 5 700mm
Stem – Syntace Flat Force 99mm
Headset – Niner with custom carbon top dust cap (-3mm stack height)
Grips - Esi Extra Chunky
Saddle - Tune Speed Needle Marathon
Seatpost - Syntace P6 Hi Flex
Seat Clamp - Tune Schraubwurger
Bottle cages – Tune Wassertrager Universal 2.0 (9g cages)
Brakes - Formula R1 Racing w 160mm rotors
Cranks - Tune Blackfoot Carbon w XX1 single ring spider, Absolute Black 32t ring (396g + 80g Tune BB)
Chain - KMC X10
Pedals - Exustar Ti SPD
Cog - Endless Bike Co SS (17-20t)
Chainring – 32/34t Tune
Wheelset - Tune Schwarzbrenner Carbon Clincher 29er Rims, Tune Princess Skyline front hub, Tune Kong rear w Tune DC15 Skewer and Sapim Superspokes Carbon wrapped crossings
Tyres - SchwalbeThunder Burt 2.1 Snakeskin
Weight Weenie weight - 6.7kg (w pedals - sans sealant) - Race ready at 7kg (Sealant, XTR pedals)

So far it's done:
~3500Km
1st Place SS at Capital Punishment - top 50 overall
1st Place SS at Otway Odyssey - top 50 overall
1st Place Local 12hr (Dirty Weekend Adelaide)
1st Place Melrose 18hr
1st Place Veteran Male - South Australian XCO State Championships (in the geared class)

Many local club level races with podiums in Elite class with the gearies...

Build Story

Placed an order for a Blue One9 RDO the day they were announced on BikeRumour..... Several months later.... Switched to Blaze Yellow the day it was announced....
This was circa November 2013..... Frame Arrived February 2014.

Got stuck straight into building it up with the parts I had at the time....

At this point she was 8.095KG Still waiting on heaps of bits!

Niner One9RDO Blaze Yellow Large
Niner RDO Fork
Syntace P6 Post
Syntace Low 5 Bars
Random road Stem from parts bin - Waiting on Syntace Flat Force
Esi Grips Extra Chunky
Formula R1 Racing Brakes
Tune Wassertrager Carbon Cages
Tune Post Clamp
Selle Italia SLR XC Saddle - Waiting on Tune Speed Needle Marathon
Sram X9 Crank w NSB 104BCD spider and 32t NW Race Face Ring - Waiting on Tune Black Foot Crank and ring
Exustar Ti Pedals
17t Ti SS rear Cog w Endless Fibonacci spacer kit.
Wheels - (for now)
Rear DT240 w star ratchet upgrade, DT Revo Spokes and Stans Crest - Maxxis Aspen
Front American Classic, DT Revo spokes and Stans Crest - Maxxis Ikon
Wheelset en Route
Tune Schwarzenbrenner
Princess Skyline Fr Hub, Prince Rear w Sapim Superspokes 3x w carbon wrapping, Tune Carbon rims - Schwalbe Snakeskin Thunder Burt R and Ralph Front

MOAR PURPLE.....
(Tune bits turned up)

537g Front Wheel

706g Rear wheel

Tune DC15 Skewer

Tune Seat Clamp

KMC X10 Chain in Purple - not sure if it's actually even legit but it's still going strong!

This was 95% Finished - Back in MAY....

Oh... and for Chops....

TUNE BLACKFOOT CRANKS.... These things are a work of art at 395g with Spider and ring! The 80g Tune threaded BB is smooooth as! TAKE THAT NEXT SL.... the GIANT of lightweight cranks
I'll get more pics up of the cranks later if there's interest

Last edited:

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
QUALITY!!

Well done on the build, I could not fault any of your choices (Although fluro colours aren't really my thing!)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Wow, thats a mint looking build. The final product is something to be proud of mate!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
great build, however you are in denial if you think it's not built for show, or just to be light... you'd be just as quick without things like the $150 purple tune axle.

what do the wheels weigh out of interested? they would look right at home on my disc CX...

Ackland

chats d'élevage
great build, however you are in denial if you think it's not built for show, or just to be light... you'd be just as quick without things like the $150 purple tune axle.

what do the wheels weigh out of interested? they would look right at home on my disc CX...
Wheel weights as above...
537g F
706g R
1243g Wheelset

I disagree with you Mitcho...
Whilst the bike is in part a showpiece for EightyOneSpices Components, if I wanted it to be a showstopper rather than parts I was already comfortable with and could rely on for 24hr Solos I would have chosen...
Tune Kom Vor Saddle -20g
Tune Prince Rear Hub -30g
Tune Schwarzes Stuck Post -120g
Tune Turnstange flat bar -85g
Either Syntace F109 -17deg Stem -50g OR Tune Geiles Teil -17deg -40g
Light Foam grips -50g
Total (not unreasonably more expensive comparitively to what I already spent) = 247grams....

I raced it just yesterday with Thunder Burts on at the State Championships.... plenty of grip in a 2.1" in the right trail conditions

ChopSticks

Banned
Looks awesome Matt ! (what happened to your original build thread?)
did you end up getting your hands on Speed Evo valves?
not overly keen on the cranks.... given the price tag lol... leave us mortals to our Next SL's :behindsofa:

I'm kinda over my weight weenie ways... theres physically nothing left on my build to drop weight off (apart from the frame), and with a new piggy back shock and Sram 11spd coming..... I'll prob be gaining 2-300g~ :pout:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Wheel weights as above...
537g F
706g R
1243g Wheelset

I disagree with you Mitcho...
Whilst the bike is in part a showpiece for EightyOneSpices Components, if I wanted it to be a showstopper rather than parts I was already comfortable with and could rely on for 24hr Solos I would have chosen...

ah missed those pics. ~150g lighter than mine.. bastard.

fair enough. was more the point that you'd likely be just as fast with less blingy parts as opposed to being as light as possible with 'retail' parts... still a great looking steed though.

ChopSticks

Banned
if I wanted it to be a showstopper rather than parts I was already comfortable with

Either Syntace F109 -17deg Stem -50g OR Tune Geiles Teil -17deg -40g
PFFFT Tune is sooo over-rated and heavy...... why not get something proper like a 3K Mcfk, or AX rigid carbon stem? :boink:

surprised you haven't chopped them brake lines (looks like you can do 360 bar spins with plenty to spare :p).... excess weight you don't need to carry?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Looks awesome Matt ! (what happened to your original build thread?)
did you end up getting your hands on Speed Evo valves?
Um.... my original build thread was in SS? Maybe there was one here? If so.... sorry mods... forgive me for I have sinned.... at least I'm not making disparaging remarks about other Army sections, peoples mothers or dishing out tips on which parts to store in the freezer before installing.....

Yep have had purple speed evo valves on for a few months now.... you can kinda see em in my first and last pictures.... also have them on my "training" wheels in black... below

ah missed those pics. ~150g lighter than mine.. bastard.

fair enough. was more the point that you'd likely be just as fast with less blingy parts as opposed to being as light as possible with 'retail' parts... still a great looking steed though.
True... I was living comfortably with my X9 Cranks and an Ab Black direct mount ring (below)..... but my intention was to do a dream bike build.

PFFFT Tune is sooo over-rated and heavy...... why not get something proper like a 3K Mcfk, or AX rigid carbon stem? :boink:

surprised you haven't chopped them brake lines (looks like you can do 360 bar spins with plenty to spare :p).... excess weight you don't need to carry?
AX Lightness RIMS were discussed.... No other stem goes as low as a Flat Force....
Yeah a photographer mate wants to tee up a shoot and we'll do a weigh in with chopped lines AND removed Frameskin for extra weenie!
TBH I cut the lines back when I had the standard headset dust cover, -17 deg stem and the bars were uncut at 740mm.... I was always going to fix em at next brake bleed but the brakes have been flawless since day 1

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
Holy crap that is insanely light and an awesome build. I have never ridden anything nearing that weight on the dirt, even my carbon roady is a kg heavier.
If I ever see you on the trail I will asking you to stop so I can have a proper look.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done at States yesterday.

What weight do your Burts come in at. I have the new tubeless easy SS which are way over stated weights. Really happy with them though.

How are the R1s?

Will Tune make spiderless rings for the crank? Seems odd to use a spider given so many people 1x.

ChopSticks

Banned
Um.... my original build thread was in SS? Maybe there was one here? If so.... sorry mods... forgive me for I have sinned.... at least I'm not making disparaging remarks about other Army sections, peoples mothers or dishing out tips on which parts to store in the freezer before installing.....

AX Lightness RIMS were discussed.... No other stem goes as low as a Flat Force....
Yeah a photographer mate wants to tee up a shoot and we'll do a weigh in with chopped lines AND removed Frameskin for extra weenie!
TBH I cut the lines back when I had the standard headset dust cover, -17 deg stem and the bars were uncut at 740mm.... I was always going to fix em at next brake bleed but the brakes have been flawless since day 1
Beg for forgiveness for you have sinned :p
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?277312-Niner-One9-RDO-Single-Speed

no excuses! both stems I mentioned come in -17 deg
AX (75g/90mm & 80g/120mm)
Mcfk (80g/90mm & 87g/110mm)
dont forget to remove the star nut/to cap, sealant and give the bike a wash to rid of any excess dirty before the weigh in :bounce:
have you considered non qr axles? or do you need the ease of use on trail/race?

If I ever see you on the trail I will asking you to stop so I can have a proper look.
sorry mate... but Matt's so fast and fit, he doesn't stop until he crosses the finish line :first:

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Well done at States yesterday.

What weight do your Burts come in at. I have the new tubeless easy SS which are way over stated weights. Really happy with them though.

How are the R1s?

Will Tune make spiderless rings for the crank? Seems odd to use a spider given so many people 1x.
I've got 6 or 7 burts at home on different wheels and as spares for the 24hr so I'll weigh a few for you. From memory they're over claimed and there's some variance.
I love em as a rear. On the front they suit hard pack and fine loose-over hard. In the pine needles at Fox yesterday I had to be pretty careful when leaning them over on the fresh stuff.

I love the R1R's.... they have made me realise that my avid's were quite finnicky to get set up right and stay that way....

Great job. Great weight.

What are you thoughts on the super-spokes?
I haven't had to touch the spokes so my thoughts are they're doing well!
I have broken ONE but that was after a rock flicked up and went through the rear wheel.... The biggest PITA was getting the carbon wrapping re-done

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
Awesome looking ride bloke and an amazing weight. Just wondering - what sort of life do you get out of such a bike? I gather you clock up thousands of km a year. Do you only use it for racing or training as well.

My guess is my camel back weighs close your bike weight with 3 litres of water, tools, locks and snacks. :madgrin:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what's with carbon wrap on spokes? Are yours bladed or round?

I have about 40 hours on mine (bladed )without issues.

John U

MTB Precision
Great work. Good results too, riding fully rigid.

I don't know how careful you are when putting your bike in the work stand but if clamp your post instead of the frame you'll be better off if you get carried away with the clamp force. It won't be as balanced but better for piece of mind.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
what's with carbon wrap on spokes? Are yours bladed or round?

I have about 40 hours on mine (bladed )without issues.
Bladed..... It's 1) Unique and 2) Stiffer..... 3) a wank?

Great work. Good results too, riding fully rigid.

I don't know how careful you are when putting your bike in the work stand but if clamp your post instead of the frame you'll be better off if you get carried away with the clamp force. It won't be as balanced but better for piece of mind.
If you look closely at all pictures "clamping" the top tube, the rubber grippers are either not even or barely touching the frame....

John U

MTB Precision
If you look closely at all pictures "clamping" the top tube, the rubber grippers are either not even or barely touching the frame....
Good.

FFS man, you need get some useless shit in your garage. You shouldn't be able to get in there or work in there without tripping over it. If you need some tips on how to do it I have plenty.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Just wondering - what sort of life do you get out of such a bike? I gather you clock up thousands of km a year. Do you only use it for racing or training as well.
I try and do at least on 100km ride per week on the SS.... My theory is train how you'll race so I often go solo for 5hrs and do casual rides other days. You can't just jump on a Rigid SS and race a marathon without practice... the killer is the forearms.

As for life span... there's a 5year warranty on the frame and It'll last at least that long.

FFS man, you need get some useless shit in your garage. You shouldn't be able to get in there or work in there without tripping over it. If you need some tips on how to do it I have plenty.
There's currently a LOT more useless shit in there! The missus parks her car in there too and hates junk. I have to hide that in the garden shed where it's one of those situations where you duck when you open the door in case something comes flying out and to "store" things you throw them in and SLAM the door it before it pops out!