XC 7kg Niner One9 RDO SS - AKA Matt justifies his purchases to Mitchy_

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meh, my track bike is lighter. actually isn't, despite not having brakes or big tires or the ability to ride over anything larger than a pebble without exploding

One of my favourite bikes ever on this forum, should get a Lauf fork for it!

Why the change of pedals for race mode? The Exulstar aren't that reliable? I used to run Ritchey WCS Paradigm which are like 10g heavier and were a ton more reliable than XTRs. Though I've swapped to Time now, which are lighter again and feel even more bettererer.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Amazing bike...Great build.

You must have some good bike handling for the Thunder Burt on the front!

I had a full rigid EMD with the niner carbon fork a few years ago.... Its amazing how fast you can go with a rigid fork. I raced it for a year in the local XC series, and loved it.

You must be very happy with it.. it would climb like a scalded cat!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Um yeah thinking the same.....not much mountain in it....

My bones ache just thinking about riding it....
A compliant seat post and the best carbon fork in the business makes it comfy as!

should get a Lauf fork for it!

Why the change of pedals for race mode? The Exulstar aren't that reliable? I used to run Ritchey WCS Paradigm which are like 10g heavier and were a ton more reliable than XTRs. Though I've swapped to Time now, which are lighter again and feel even more bettererer.
The Lauf forks don't get good reviews at all! The springs not only have no dampening, but are also free to move laterally so cornering is unpredictable. However I'd like to try one out!

Amazing bike...Great build.

You must have some good bike handling for the Thunder Burt on the front!

I had a full rigid EMD with the niner carbon fork a few years ago.... Its amazing how fast you can go with a rigid fork. I raced it for a year in the local XC series, and loved it.

You must be very happy with it.. it would climb like a scalded cat!
It climbs wonderfully. Love technical climbs with a rigid fork! The Burt actually handles front duties well in the right conditions.... powder over hard and pine forest riding is great! Lots of loose over hard and you're in trouble.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love it!
Love my fully rigid but I don't ride it often enough. Ever used/considered wtb ninelines?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
did a bit of research on the crank as i was intrigued.. it's a $1000+ ordeal..
are you fucking kidding? i'm sure you get a good deal from posting the words "EightyOneSpices" in every second post; but fuck me, that is dedication to being a weenie... i'll happily stick with my relatively light carbon crank at less than a quarter of the price.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
If you're already building your ultimate bike... Why skimp on the details?
What's Aus RRP on Next SLs?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
If you're already building your ultimate bike... Why skimp on the details?
What's Aus RRP on Next SLs?
no idea on aussie RRP, jenson list the Next SL with chainring as $500 US RRP, so ~$573.
bike24 list the Black foot with ring as $919 EU RRP, so ~$1320.

for the sake of 30 grams compared to the next SL... the tune crank seems like a fairly silly purchase. :noidea:

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Any reason you didn't go with the absolute black direct mount ring? Running the tune spider + bolts + chainring probably negates alot of the Blackfoot's (minimal) weight advantage.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any reason you didn't go with the absolute black direct mount ring? Running the tune spider + bolts + chainring probably negates alot of the Blackfoot's (minimal) weight advantage.
from what I can see on their web site they don't make direct mount for Next or Blackfoot....

Ackland

chats d'élevage
no idea on aussie RRP, jenson list the Next SL with chainring as $500 US RRP, so ~$573.
bike24 list the Black foot with ring as $919 EU RRP, so ~$1320.

for the sake of 30 grams compared to the next SL... the tune crank seems like a fairly silly purchase. :noidea:
10799274_10205585617466296_734960862_n.jpg1378843_647610521939187_1683315831_n.jpg

Cheers for editing the overly aggressive post....
446 grams 32t RF weighed vs 396g Tune weighed with XX1 spider and 34t (this is another crank, not mine sitting at the distro right now). Actually 50 real grams (I'll concede 2 teeth wont weigh much extra on RF) or 8.8% weight reduction for 2x price I guess...

Purchase price is 697.40EU for the Blackfoot + Shipping from B24.... $1002... Fair enough, that's costly

This is a boutique item made in small numbers and Tune are well behind demand, even at that price, however given the nature of their procedure, they aren't going to mass produce. THM certainly haven't ever reduced the price on their Clavicula cranks and there are a few around (literally only a few but hey).

This bike has taken over a year of ordering, waiting and bike nerding....
Most Next SL's I see are bound for bikes that might be ridden maybe 5hrs a month....
The SS gets ridden at least 5hrs per week as part of my training... more in the lead up to and in events... I think I'll get my value...
The bike makes me smile and I love riding it.. what more do you want?

FWIW... I found an Aus RRP of $760 on Next SL's but I assume some can be had for what... $400ish?

from what I can see on their web site they don't make direct mount for Next or Blackfoot....
Early prototypes used Absolute Black chainrings, the production Blackfoot comes in several variants, all using Tune's own mounting system from their Alloy Smartfoot system cranks.

The chainring is threaded so the spider/bolts probably don't add much... (Edit - apparently DM saves 6g on a 32t)

I can see on the dealer catalogue that there is now a direct mount ring option, however at the time of order, this wasn't available.
Also.... I wanted the purple spider for wank factor.
The XX1 Spider configuration also lets me swap out 32 and 34t rings easily without removing cranks... I actually swap gearing a decent amount for this to be a benefit for me.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
The bike makes me smile and I love riding it.. what more do you want?
Agreed Matt !
Dw...Haters are gonna hate. (Thought people had a go at me coz I 'don't ride', but fuck! Matt has a set of legs and countless podiums to back it up.)

Spend your money however you want! If it makes you happy then it's all that matters.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am always amused by peoples response to $s spent.

My wife's opinion, if you want it- buy it. She has seen me loose 20kg since I got into MTBing and knows how important it is to my well being.

Some people collect stamps, I prefer nice bike stuff.....

Matt, get some Schmolke bars.....

Have you looked at AB rotors?