888 tuning

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
It's been ages since i've started a thread.. but thought i'd see if anyone else has had any experience with this one! Having come off a nicely tuned Dorado on my last DH bike i'm stuffing around with Marzocchi's for the first time and trying to get them juuuuust right.

I'm running the stock 888 RC2X VA on my 07 Stab Supreme and have just changed out to lighter springs because i'm such a lightweight (this seems to have also gotten rid of that annoying spring rattle thank f*&k..).

Now i still seem to be getting an inch or so shy of full travel. I would guess that reducing the oil volume in the compression leg by about 10mL at a time and re-checking might help?

Has anyone else done this or any other little change to get that last bit of travel out of their 888's?

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
help?

Has anyone else done this or any other little change to get that last bit of travel out of their 888's?
On my old 888's i never got full travel, i got within 2cm, but never further.
I didnt bother adjusting because it didnt make that much of a difference because you hardly ever need that much travel unless your doing something huge.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i bottomed my 888's out, only once though :p dropping down onto a fireroad and front wheel landed in a horizontal rut

i ran stock springs, no preload, no compression, and pretty fast rebound

they were pretty plush and smooth, but they are a really hard fork to get working anywhere near i liked, to get them soft enough to have good small bump sens i needed to have them so soft they just blew through their travel

S.

ex offender
It's been ages since i've started a thread.. but thought i'd see if anyone else has had any experience with this one! Having come off a nicely tuned Dorado on my last DH bike i'm stuffing around with Marzocchi's for the first time and trying to get them juuuuust right.

I'm running the stock 888 RC2X VA on my 07 Stab Supreme and have just changed out to lighter springs because i'm such a lightweight (this seems to have also gotten rid of that annoying spring rattle thank f*&k..).

Now i still seem to be getting an inch or so shy of full travel. I would guess that reducing the oil volume in the compression leg by about 10mL at a time and re-checking might help?

Yeah drop the oil level by 10ml at a time in both legs, should solve your problem. Don't the RC2Xs have a volume adjuster too? So you can just wind it off with a knob at the top? Or is that already fully wound out?

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
On my old 888's i never got full travel, i got within 2cm, but never further.
I didnt bother adjusting because it didnt make that much of a difference because you hardly ever need that much travel unless your doing something huge.
they were pretty plush and smooth, but they are a really hard fork to get working anywhere near i liked, to get them soft enough to have good small bump sens i needed to have them so soft they just blew through their travel
Haha well i thought i'd do everything i could... I can't stand having something there that i can't use. Loved my Dorado because they just felt bottomless all the time, but when checked, i was using all the travel every run. Not really a fair comparison between the two forks though :) If I can't get these suckers running well for me i'll look at changing out to a Boxxer or Travis i guess!

Yeah drop the oil level by 10ml at a time in both legs, should solve your problem. Don't the RC2Xs have a volume adjuster too? So you can just wind it off with a knob at the top? Or is that already fully wound out?
Yeah i've already got the VA wound all the way out. I'll give the oil levels a go this week. Cheers for the advice guys.