A bike for very heavy rider.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A long time family friend has contacted me about helping him pick a bicycle and he's an extra big unit.

The bloke is only 24, he's 6'4" and 150kg at last weigh in... he reckons he may be over that now. He says he can spend $1500 which is a decent amount for a starter bike.

My idea is a XL steel or alu mountain bike with emphasis on a solid wheelset.

I even though about a fatbike but that would probably stirr up a few jokes.

His fitness level is 'full time gamer' and I'm thinking how sore his ass is going to be with that weight on a saddle for the first time since primary school.

Any idea ?

Minlak

custom titis
WTB Pure Saddle for the win - Its all I use - Have them on all my bikes - 32 Spoke Wheelset is all I would suggest - If he isn't jumping and dropping they will be fine - just true them after a couple rides.

The other things I would suggest is get riser handlebars and or stem fitted to get the back a little straighter and take some weight off the gooch :)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
^what he said.

he won’t be hitting anything with much speed, so whilst his static loading on components is high he won’t be causing much shock loading. High spoke count, upright body position and tell him to take it easy when starting out. He’ll struggle, baby steps are needed so he doesn’t get too discouraged and give up.

Props to the guy for making the leap. It’s a hard first step. If he keeps it up his standard of living will improve out of sight.

ozzybmx

32 Spoke Wheelset is all I would suggest - If he isn't jumping and dropping they will be fine - just true them after a couple rides.
I dont think the big man is going to be getting any air, anytime soon.

Bloody XL bikes are not so common, looking at some online.

Dont know how long these wheels would last.

ozzybmx

Maybe have a word to them about eating right first and encourage them to discipline themselves. Lots of different psychological issues can cause eating disorders too.
He's realised he is not getting anywhere socially... hopefully he's changing his diet too.

I have know him since I came to Oz, the son of a good friend of mine, his dad was missing since birth. His diet is shocking and his exercise levels are zero, things can only get better.

Minlak

custom titis
I dont think the big man is going to be getting any air, anytime soon.

Bloody XL bikes are not so common, looking at some online.

So how I have done it for a friend recently is got him a bike that we can upgrade if he sticks with it and low initial cost if he doesn't - I found it hard to get past my prejudices on equipment when looking and had to take a step back and realise I can upgrade the stuff he breaks as he will only break it if he starts to really use it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What sort of riding is he intending to do?

Given my house is near a very popular shared path I see people of all shapes and sizes riding. A $1500 spend for a pathway bike is going to get him something reliable, which will make riding regularly easier than having something that has frequent mechanical issues.

If he plans to go off road, then maybe a used hardtail is the better option. I've had some large friends in bikes over the years. In the old days the shore hardtail line from Norco was a reliable go to. Robust everything, good value, and a tyre change away from easier pedalling. Norco have something a little like this again, but I think it is mostly single speed options. +

PJO

in me vL comy

Don't buy the san quentin 1, it has 141QR dropouts which will be a pain to upgrade (this is the QR equivalent of boost width).
The San Quentin 2 or 3 have a proper thru axle 148 spacing.
Problem is the 2 is $400 over his budget.

ozzybmx

What sort of riding is he intending to do?
If he can squeeze a tiny bit more or you can swing a deal the Giant Fathom is pretty good value IMHO $1899 retail
Not sure, his house backs on to O'Halloran Hill MTB park, he want to go ride in there... probably just on easy trails.

My idea is to put him on a semi aggressive HT. If I could squeeze a bit more, I would suggest the Meta HT

Finding somewhere where a bike is in stock is the next problem.

EDIT: Pre order for APRIL 2021 :oops:

Minlak

custom titis
Not sure, his house backs on to O'Halloran Hill MTB park, he want to go ride in there... probably just on easy trails.

My idea is to put him on a semi aggressive HT. If I could squeeze a bit more, I would suggest the Meta HT

Finding somewhere where a bike is in stock is the next problem.
He just has to wait for April 2021 for the possible allocation of stock to him :)

Minlak

custom titis
The world is out of stock :rolleyes:
Yup - That's what sucks especially for XL - I just did this dance a month ago and only have 2 more months to wait for the bike he chose to arrive :(

You want to help and get them started but then you cant get anything

ozzybmx

Yup - That's what sucks especially for XL - I just did this dance a month ago and only have 2 more months to wait for the bike he chose to arrive :(

You want to help and get them started but then you cant get anything
I have a Nukeproof Scout here in Med, if i could even grab a XL/XXL boost frame I would build it for him to try out... CRC is all out of Ragley, Nukeproof, Commencal...

Ze Germans have a few XL HT frames about though, 250 euros for Dartmoor or NS bikes frame.

slowmick

38-39"
I have a good mate who is 6' 8" and well over 150 kg. He did fine on an 2005 XL Giant Talon. Sure it looked like a bit of a tricycle but it was fine for bike tracks and and paths. Even used to stopped with 2 pot Hayes brakes.

The surpising thing you may find is how much power he can put out. carrying that much weight gives you some serious leg strength. You may find he chews up cheap drive train components. Also, mate fell on the seat in an accident and snapped the plastic in half.

PJO

in me vL comy
I have a Nukeproof Scout here in Med, if i could even grab a XL/XXL boost frame I would build it for him to try out... CRC is all out of Ragley, Nukeproof, Commencal...

Ze Germans have a few XL HT frames about though, 250 euros for Dartmoor or NS bikes frame.
You can get the San Quentin 3 in a frameset only...
$720 incl. delivery to Adelaide

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
I’m not far enough off that size, although been riding frequently for years and always played sport.

As others have said 32 spike rims are important. What others find stiff can turn into a noodle for a bigger bloke. I have keep on top of spoke tension and trueness on lower end wheels.

High rise bars can be a big help as is a bike with a high stack height. Best to demo bikes if he can. Less of an issue on a hardtail.

High volume is not your friend in suspension. Just needs too much pressure. With all the extra pressure in your air spring I have found low rebound and compression tunes with no volume spacers are actually helpful which seems counter intuitive. Really notice the larger dia stanchions. 34+ highly recommended even for XC.

I ride a banshee prime v2 and chameleon hardtail. Both are fantastic but too much $. At that budget would recommend a hardtail with a burly wheelset and 34+ fork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk