A+ camping near Sydney

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hoping to tap into a little local knowledge here if I can..

Has anyone got some suggestions for decent seaside places to camp within 3-4 hours of Sydney? Somewhere a bit off the beaten track, and not totally packed with kids or caravaners. Either in NP or otherwise. 4WD access is okay. I've spent a decent amount of time in the Myalls Lakes/Forster area, which is great, but hopefully the brains trust can suggest somewhere new.

scblack

Leucocholic
Seven Mile Beach near Gerringong has a camping area right behind the dunes. Nice quiet spot. Small honesty fee to National Parks or whoever runs the area.

At least it was quiet 15years ago. I just google mapped and maybe its been turned into 7 Mile Beach Holiday Park?

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not really off the beaten track, but used to get regularly to killalea state park down Nowra way. Drive in camping with 2 beaches in walking distance, good surfing and fishing. Never been crowded when we were there and they close a boom gate and give a pin code to campers so no disturbances of an evening. was only 2 hours from Sydney so easy enough to get there on a Friday night

stirk

Burner
A nice little spot very close to Sydney is little beach. About a 10 minute walk from car park along a sand track so you won't get yobbos with generators blaring music, well its unlikely anyway. Small number of camp sites and all nicely spaced from each other.

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/little-beach-campground

Jervis bay is a top spot, the popular green patch site is well equipped but I prefer caves beach, which is a little rougher but much smaller, less crowded.

will2

Likes Dirt
Booti Booti, at Bluey's beach north of Sydney. Good campsite, not really off the beaten track though. You better like the beach.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on where in Sydney you are, it's ~4 hours to Gloucester and the Barringtons. I recommend Gloucester Tops because it's always had less traffic when I've been there, but there are some brilliant camping spots around both.

stirk

Burner
Depending on where in Sydney you are, it's ~4 hours to Gloucester and the Barringtons. I recommend Gloucester Tops because it's always had less traffic when I've been there, but there are some brilliant camping spots around both.
How's the surf at Gloucester Tops?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
+1 Barrington Tops is awesome. Great walks and 4wding - could ride also. There are the larger campground and some smaller ones away from the crowds.

Junction Pools was secluded and nice http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/junction-pools-campground

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt
I don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know of good campsites between Bluey's beach and Coffs Harbour? Looking for a good spot for surf, chilling/drinking and fishing. In that order.
Preferably National park campgrounds.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The forum delivers! Thanks for the replies dudes, including the PMs I got. Got a few on the shortlist now...

I think Moruya Nrth Head is good place. Also have the caravan park across the bridge if you need somewhere warmm.
http://www.esc.nsw.gov.au/living-in/facilities-parks-gardens/camping-grounds
It pushes your 4hrs though.
Good fishing too, take your pick of style.
I've stay at the mystery bay camp ground not far from there. One of our neighboring campers had a gas bottle explode in the middle of the night, just about killed someone.

+1 Barrington Tops is awesome. Great walks and 4wding - could ride also. There are the larger campground and some smaller ones away from the crowds.

Junction Pools was secluded and nice http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/junction-pools-campground
That's a really nice spot, not near the beach.. but will definitely try to get up there sometime soon.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know of good campsites between Bluey's beach and Coffs Harbour? Looking for a good spot for surf, chilling/drinking and fishing. In that order.
Preferably National park campgrounds.
You can sneaky camp on the really long beach north of Forster. Drive a couple of minutes out of town until you see heaps of bushes on your right with gaps in them you can drive through. Keep driving east through the bush until you reach the beach - about 3kms from the road. Very soft loose sand, so 4wd only.. There will usually be a few locals around doing the same.

Crowdy bay NP is good too from memory.