A commuter built by Rotorburn

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Frame - Scott Scale (not sure what year)
Front shock/fork - Old Rockshox Judy
Handlebars - Something black
Stem - Specialized
Headset - balls in a cage (reminded me of a movie I watched once...)
Grips - Cheap from the local shop
Saddle - Fabric scoop
Seatpost - Scott
Front brake - Avid Trail 9 (four pot)
Rear brake - Avid Trail 9 (four pot)
Cranks - Shimano Deore
Chain - Sram something
Pedals - Shed find
Rear derailleur - Sram X0 - 9 speed
Rear shifter - Sram X0 - 9 speed
Cassette - Sram something
Front hub - GT
Rear hub - Modeng
Front rim - WTB speed disc
Rear rim - Mavic XM 319
Spokes - ?
Nipples - ?
Tyres - ?
Tubes - shed find
Total weight - just over 11kg

Thanks heaps to @Plankosaurus and @Labcanary for the bulk of parts to piece together this beauty. Also @pink poodle and @Halo1 for drivetrain parts.

I needed a commuter now that work is returning to the office and this came together surprisingly well. It's been done on the cheap and is a funny mix of parts. Some things are very basic (wheels/bars etc) but the brakes are way over the top and the X0 groupo is probably over the top too. Though if there was one part of the commuter bike I was hoping to have high quality - it was the drivetrain.

I had the brakes sitting in my shed for a few years. Gave them a bleed and bedded in some new pads a viola. As much as some people hate on Avid, these are actually great brakes. I've realised that after hundreds of dollars messing around with Magura brakes then converting them to Shigura - the gains are marginal and I could have gotten by just fine all this time with my trusty old Avid Trail 9's.

The frame is great and the forks are surprisingly good. Well - the squish and the damping is good. The flex is horrendous. In fact, the combination of over-powered brakes and al dente forks makes for pretty hilarious pulling of the wheel to one side under heavy braking...

I'll be putting this to the test next week for trips into the office and might have to veer off the bike path around some of the Yarra Trails for extra fun

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The bike turned out good. 4 pot Brakes are a must have on a commuter with all those crazy car drivers pulling out in front of you.
I was fan of the avid breaks from era and never understood the hate with them.
Happy commuting.

yuley95

Yay, another Scale on the site :)
Seems nice and light, is it 26"
Yep 26". Unfortunately I sold off a whole bunch of 26" wheels and tyres about 18 months ago. Never thought I would need them again but here we are!

yuley95

That is very light! Love the red cable outter!
Yeah, it feels so light compared to the Sentinel. Could be lighter with different wheels and brakes but this suits me fine.

I wasn't sure about the red as I was putting it on but I reckon it goes ok. Suits the frame nicely.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It's an '11 model as far as I could tell. I bought it cheap as a complete off my previous boss to get me back into riding after about a 15 year hiatus. He'd only ever ridden it on bike paths (the middle of the tyres were worn smooth, but the outer lugs still had the moulding dags on them! :eek:). First ride I took it on was to Youies. I rode Cressy on it a couple of times and thought "F*** this! This is way too small!" after nearly going OTB on every step down or jump (On the flip-side the ol' 3x9 setup was a treat up the fireroad... :p). I parked it once I started playing with more functional (for my size, weight and intended purpose) MTB's, and eventually got sick of it cluttering up my laundry and passed it to Planko, who has then "payed it forward". Glad to see it's going to be used rather than going to landfill as it seemed like a good frame. :)

yuley95

It's an '11 model as far as I could tell. I bought it cheap as a complete off my previous boss to get me back into riding after about a 15 year hiatus. He'd only ever ridden it on bike paths (the middle of the tyres were worn smooth, but the outer lugs still had the moulding dags on them! :eek:). First ride I took it on was to Youies. I rode Cressy on it a couple of times and thought "F*** this! This is way too small!" after nearly going OTB on every step down or jump (On the flip-side the ol' 3x9 setup was a treat up the fireroad... :p). I parked it once I started playing with more functional (for my size, weight and intended purpose) MTB's, and eventually got sick of it cluttering up my laundry and passed it to Planko, who has then "payed it forward". Glad to see it's going to be used rather than going to landfill as it seemed like a good frame. :)
It’s a great frame mate. Thanks so much for passing it on. I actually would really like to get some trail action on it at some point (with different tyres of course). Would be great for some Lysterfield laps

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It’s a great frame mate. Thanks so much for passing it on. I actually would really like to get some trail action on it at some point (with different tyres of course). Would be great for some Lysterfield laps
All good! Stoked to see it finally getting used again and am loving the fact a small army of burners rustled up all the extra bits to make it happen for you. :) Should be good fun on the trails too, the main problem riding it off road for me was the RockShox Toro coil fork was way undersprung for my weight.