A DH / Flow trail Webisode.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
hey rider's

In around 2 - 3 months I will be shooting two Aussies pros for a webisode and to gain footage for my showreel and in general get back in the filming game for Sullivan Films.

In the past few months I have seen alot of posts on films i.e dislike,likes etc..

I have great knowledge how to shoot and set up different set ups, but I though I would ask the general public what would you like to see and not see?

Keep in mind this will only be around 2 - 3 mins long.

* Music (I am a big fan of Australian music for many reasons)

* Shots

* P.O.V camera shots helmet,chest,frame?

* Dolly,Cable cam ?

The best mountain bike film makers in the world are Ant Hill Films (I know other people may think differently)by far for me for so many many reasons, they work very closely with the riders to gain all shots.They have a immense knowledge of camera equipment,set up and locations....not to mention awe inspiring shots, that make you want to ride yesterday.
They were the first company to bring the hollywood style of filming as well to MTB films.... to any one who has only done a bit of filming knows how much "HARDER" this it shoot like this..

I look forward to some great suggestions and if your a band wanting some exposure send me a message.

Cheers Christian

Last edited:

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
watch life cycles about ten times, then do the same ;)

Just experiment i suppose, im not filmer myself, but by trying different angles and techniques on each section can give you plenty of ways to edit some cool riding together.

Good luck !

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
hey,

Yeah have seen project north great film on a budget, plus they uploaded for free.

Funny you should comment to, I am planning the trip with a certain great rider who is try to gain sponsorship from Dartmoor.

Cheers

Cronar

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

Three things (plus several others):

Music: Choose what you think works, you'll never please everyone so you may as well please yourself

Shots: Please limit the amount of panning shots, I can't watch most of the vids the kids post anymore because every f*&king shot is a pan ... I start getting dizzy.

Editing: Another reason I can't watch many edits these days is because of over-editing, the best editing is the stuff you don't notice. Oh and please limit the slow-mo, just because you have an awesome camera doesn't mean every shot has to be slow-mo.

Also: no interviews with 15 year old kids who can't string 2 words together, no one cares, in 2-3 minutes we want action. And no sped up chairlift/cloudy sky shots. But put heaps of whips in there, everyone loves whips!

Just do your own thing, and create your own style, I look forward to seeing what you produce.

Disclaimer: I have no production/editing background ... I just knows what I likes

Last edited:

BikeFx

Likes Dirt
Hey mate,

Three things (plus several others):

Music: Choose what you think works, you'll never please everyone so you may as well please yourself

Shots: Please limit the amount of panning shots, I can't watch most of the vids the kids post anymore because every f*&king shot is a pan ... I start getting dizzy.

Editing: Another reason I can't watch many edits these days is because of over-editing, the best editing is the stuff you don't notice. Oh and please limit the slow-mo, just because you have an awesome camera doesn't mean every shot has to be slow-mo.

Also: no interviews with 15 year old kids who can't string 2 words together, no one cares, in 2-3 minutes we want action. And no sped up chairlift/cloudy sky shots. But put heaps of whips in there, everyone loves whips!

Just do your own thing, and create your own style, I look forward to seeing what you produce.

Disclaimer: I have no production/editing background ... I just knows what I likes
Pretty much covers it all there

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Out of all of the you tube stuff with rider cams, I find the chest cam is the most effective of getting the riders perspective.

I think the fact that you can see the bars, while still being fairly high, gives the best indication of what is happening.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
POV looking back at the rear sus working would be a cool view. With cameras getting so small, it should be easy to put them in unusual locations on the frame .

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Music with 'alotttaa' bass.
Somewhat basing the video around the music.
You can do that by cutting small bits, making it look like it skips, and playing normal, then reverse.

That's what I like anyway! :)
Now I want to make one :p

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just remember 90% of the mountain biking community watch bike movies for the riding not for the actual shot's used, that doesn't mean don't use different styled shot's, im just saying don't get caught up in making the shot look amazing but forget about the riding aspect, this happens a lot in MTB films, I have watched most your films over the years and am sure you know this, just re-ensuring. as for music it's all about pace, pick music that relates to the pace of the rider / shot, the most annoying thing is when someone slow-mo's and the music is still fast and vice versa. As much as it's over used, Rise Against is a perfect example, fast music for fast riding, there are australian 'rise against' bands out there, just search ;)

Try and steer clear of long, boring establishing shots, it's been done before, looked good then, still looks good now but we're over it. Which leads me to Slow-Mo, It can be pulled off to perfection if done right, dont over use it, quint essential is to use it at the right time, the reason slow-mo works is because it shows performance, i.e dont use it in long shots, dont pro-long it... etc.

I could be right off the point compared to how you shoot your films and what not, that's just my 2c. That's how I want a MTB film to look.

sullivanvizual

Likes Dirt
Cheers everyone for your ideas what people like and don't...

I think alot of editors are trying to use slow - mo to much in some case like trying to run before they can walk really...In my opinion its need to be shot in slow-mo to start not slowed down in post production.Plus the rider has to be pretty close not 10 meters away.Ant hill films capture slow motion in a epic way for me.

As for music I have contacted a few aussie rock/metal bands but I am looking for all genres at present.

For me filming mountain biking is making you want to ride asap weather through P.O.V great trails or what ever..

As soon as a viewer gets bored thats where you have lost them and to get them back after that, is very hard in my opinion.

cheers

cressa

Likes Dirt
A 2-3 minute web clip does not need a 45 sec self-indulged, ima-sickest-video-dude-in-town-cause-i-can-shoot-into-the-sun-and-pull-some-focus landscape/lifestyle intro - this shits me to tears - I have lots of work to do and not much time.

5h1f7y

Likes Dirt
For me watching bike movies is all about seeing what i can't if i'm watching from the sidelines.

Slow it down straight up! If its a good shot for slow mo do it!
Lots of dark and light in the music doesn't matter the genre
A story, i wanna see a story! I know people get there bikes out and go ride i wanna know why and i want the movie to give me that feeling!
A privateer battler that can only just afford to make each race round. The worry and fear on a mothers/wifes face when their boy goes down.
Two - three minutes sounds short but you can tell a great story in one.