A dummies guide to pit crewing

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
A mate of mine is getting into the enduro race scene. I, foolishly offered to be his pit crew, as a bit of a lark.

Does the brains trust have any hints for what an effective, efficient senior pit manager should do?

Quick check of pressures, and clean the drivetrain? Restock gummy bears, and hydration pack?

Or am I expected to massage the groin, and apply chamois cream?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

rockmoose

No, it's more my idea as a bit of fun. I see quite a few family and friends going along to watch, and they just sit there in there camping chairs watching. That's all good, but I need a bit more action.

rockmoose

Try and fit a full fork lower service in between every stage to keep things smooth.
I'm sure nothing could go wrong.
Perhaps I'll keep a rigid on hand, in case I stuff it up.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try volunteering to be a course marshall or something, I did that when I went along as a spectator just to check out what WAGE was like, saw their call on FB for a few more volunteers and thought yeah why not.. manned a finish gate with a pretty tricky rock garden just before it. Stuck in the one spot all day but got to see the wide range of bikes and riders tackle it with varying degrees of failure or success. More importantly I could see everyone was having fun, nobody taking themselves too seriously.

T-Rex

Template denier
+ 1 for volunteering to help run the event.

There’s not much of a role for a mechanic at enduros, it’s designed around bike preservation and self sufficiency. At EWS the major components have stickers applied and can’t be changed without penalty, and the bikes can only be worked on by a mechanic in the tech area.

rockmoose

Thanks guys, great advice. I'm sure all events are perpetually short of volunteers, so it would be great to help out AND see some action.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If they're all good for helpers then the best thing a mate with good bike fettling skills could do is a preparatory service/tune up and maybe some help with suspension tweaking on the practice day. Work out a good spares kit in case something gets damaged or breaks in practice. Stuff like tyres, chain, gear cable, brake hoses and pads are worth having, being mostly consumables that will get used eventually anyway. And maybe roam the stages with a camera, get an epic OTB or big sendin' it shot

rockmoose

I had a mate, good rider, ‘support’ me on Wildside.

Day 1 - I am about to roll down to the start line. Go to pick up bike and I hear ‘I degreased your brakes’...
Were you fast, on the day?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Nah, my peak performance that day was the tanty that started with 'WTF you degrease my brakes for...'