A good Flat pedal for AM riding

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Hi, Been riding just under a year, just brought a new bike , a Trek Rumblefish ,

Dont like the idea of riding clipless yet, feel far more comfortable with my five tens and flat pedals at this stage ,

Have a fairly large foot ,size 12 ,so like the idea of a bigger platform rather than a smaller one I guess , looking for a good efficient flat pedal for max grip and peddaling power to go on the new bike ,

No idea what I should be spending , dont see the need to spend more if there is something just as adequate cheaper though, prefer to keep it under $150 if possible,

Searched old threads but most seem a little bit dated ,

Any recommendations appreciated . Cheers

Shredden

Knows his goats
Spank Spike flats are absolutely amazing.

I paid $130 for mine from ebay, have ridden them for a few months now. They go so well, super super thin so they dont hook up on rocks and shit, nice taper on the outside to slide over stuff, and a massive platform.

Not sure on reliability but if results so far are anything to go by they are as close to a 10/10 as I have ever ridden.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are there any AM pedals available yet?
Ha! I see what you did there.

To the OP, check out Wellgo MG-1's, on ebay. 390 grams, sealed cartridge bearings, heaps of different colours, and you should be able to get them for under 40 bucks. I've had 4 sets over the years and they are still going strong on mates bikes. I keep a set in the spares box as well.

You can get a Ti axle model that's even lighter for about 10 bucks more.

Last edited:

morticus

Likes Dirt
$150 will cover you for almost all of the flat pedals. If you look into the DH style pedals then they will offer a huge amount of grip. Have a look at DMR V12 or Straitline AMP to name a couple.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Not really any specific AM pedals out there, but like you im not a fan of being attached to my bike, especially when goin OTB......
I have a set of Shimano DX's on one bike and they are fantastic, and just bought myself some Saints for my Fuel ex8 and they are even better. great pedals, both should fall within your price range. It'd also be woth looking at the DMR V12 or the DMR V6, Ive heard that they are quite good as well, i think jet black also have some decent platforms out as well.
the main thing you need to look for when buying flats is whether they have replacable pins, if they do, you should be pretty sweet.

Shredden

Knows his goats
$150 will cover you for almost all of the flat pedals. If you look into the DH style pedals then they will offer a huge amount of grip. Have a look at DMR V12 or Straitline AMP to name a couple.
AMPs and the V6/V12 both lose out for me based on their platform size - it is fairly small.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Ok I'll play the game for the best AM pedal...or DH or Trail or DJ or BMX flat pedal

Try Superstars Ultra Mag with Ti axle.

moorey

call me Mia
Any number of the numerous wellgos on eBay for 40-50 bucks is the go. I'm over expensive pedals when they wellgo are as light, durable and grippy as pedals twice the price. Meh, they probably make most of the other brands anyway.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any number of the numerous wellgos on eBay for 40-50 bucks is the go. I'm over expensive pedals when they wellgo are as light, durable and grippy as pedals twice the price. Meh, they probably make most of the other brands anyway.
Yep, I can't believe people are quoting 150 bucks as a budget for pedals. DMR's aren't even sealed!

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Nukeproof Protons if you want something cheap... I somehow ended up with a set - threw them on the AM bike and can't complain too bitterly.

driftking

Wheel size expert
If weight is not a concern just got the standard strait lines, reliable, strong and has plenty of grip.
If you want something more light weight than look at those slimmed down like amps, spanks, point1

moorey

call me Mia
Nukeproof Protons if you want something cheap... I somehow ended up with a set - threw them on the AM bike and can't complain too bitterly.
Bastard!!! YOU got the set here in the garage sale, didn't you!!!! They've been discontinued on crc unfortunately.

floody

Wheel size expert
The Ti MG-1s are hard to beat for price and weight.

Avanti's BMX arm ABD do a nice flat pedal I used for a year or so, its called the Sniper pedal and is a little larger/lower profile than an MG1.

crasherX

Squid
I've got a set of wellgo B54's- sick pedal with heaps of grip, sealed bearings and they're about $35 from crc. I ride "AM" stuff with a bit of gravity endussed stuff, can't do the clipless thing:heh:

moorey

call me Mia
I've got a set of wellgo B54's- sick pedal with heaps of grip, sealed bearings and they're about $35 from crc. I ride "AM" stuff with a bit of gravity endussed stuff, can't do the clipless thing:heh:
Yep. Running them on my dh bike. Lasting very well and very grippy. Running the B143 on the xc/trail bike and very happy with them. Not AS grippy, but thinner and lighter and big platform.
Running jet black super lights on the other 2 bikes, and they're not bad, but at 2x the wellgo price, they haven't been as good a pedal.
Keen to try the b185s at $40, now they're back in stock too.

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Avanti's BMX arm ABD do a nice flat pedal I used for a year or so, its called the Sniper pedal and is a little larger/lower profile than an MG1.
I have a brand new pair of these on my desk. They say wellgo B124 though...
Great looking pedal. Sealed bearing, short cromo axle, and under 400g. Forged not cnc'd
Bought these as spares at the same time I bought some Nukeproof Neutron pedals.

The Nukeproof pedals have been superb so far. Nice large 100mm square body, 10 pins per side and decently thin at 16mm. Stock pins are long enough to grip any shoes and mince any shins.

floody

Wheel size expert
Like a lot of pedals they are made by Wellgo. I am told its very likely the MG-1 Ti axles will fit the ABD pedals...Which would give you a ~300g pair of pedals which are lower profile and harder to rip pins out of than MG-1s (MG-1s achilles heel, IMHO, is how easy the pins tear out).