A good reason to lubricate!

Ryan

Radministrator
Bwah...good to see Grip treading that fine line between genius and insanity. I never in a million years would have thought of hydraulic pressure as a means for extracting a siezed seatpost. I only wish he'd taken photos of the other "highly technologically advanced" methods he tried before going with the hydraulics though ;)

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Jeepers. We've had some ugly ones at work, but never of that quality.Out of interest, could you chop the post off and ream the internal postdown to nothingness? Or setup some sort of blade to cut verticallyinside and then squeze the tube together?

The presure idea is gold :) Did it fly out?

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
patto_15 said:
that would suck if he had to toss the frame. lucky they got it out!
Even if it was stuck forever somehow, we are talking about Grip here.He'd just weld a new seat tube on and send him on his way :p:eek:

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
fatkat said:
along with a few big gussets.
And your point is......? :p Yeah, Fatkat's right NOTHING gets out of here without bloody big gussets!

Ryan said:
I only wish he'd taken photos of the other "highly technologically advanced" methods he tried before going with the hydraulics though ;)
Some things must remain secret, Ryan...

Tom_405

Likes Dirt
Hahaha i would be so pissed if that was me, i never thought something as simple as a seatpost would be such a problem.

tomass

Likes Dirt
that article reminds me of what happened in a LBS, someones carbon fibre seat post was stuck in a carbon fibre race bike frame. it took them ages to pull it out and the owner look like he was shitting himself watching his pride and joy being tugged at every direction to get the seat post out. they eventually did get out.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip, Is this a result of a pull/push off, (something that sounds like that anyway).
For those of you that don't know it is something that aluminium and stainless steel are suseptable to. It can occur with any clean, DRY metal when in a tight situation like what happened, and a tiny particle of metal actually microwelds itself then shears off and lodges. This was my understanding of what happened talking to a mates dad over roast lamb, not sure if this is what happened Grip but sounded to me like the same thing. (though you would already know this).

Hugi.

Drop in Drew

Likes Dirt
NEWS JUST IN! titec seatpost seen in orbit!
With 3500psi behind the post it must have driven its self pretty far into the roof in ur work shop or did u do the "do it outside trick and hide inside when it went off"?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Red Rocket said:
Grip, Is this a result of a pull/push off, (something that sounds like that anyway).
For those of you that don't know it is something that aluminium and stainless steel are suseptable to. It can occur with any clean, DRY metal when in a tight situation like what happened, and a tiny particle of metal actually microwelds itself then shears off and lodges. This was my understanding of what happened talking to a mates dad over roast lamb, not sure if this is what happened Grip but sounded to me like the same thing. (though you would already know this).

Hugi.
Your mate's dad is pretty spot on. Metal "fret" led to "spooling" of the metal led to YUCK!

Drew... actually it came out as easy as anything... hydraulic oil, unlike air, doesn't compress.

Drop in Drew

Likes Dirt
thats not even half as much fun.
u should have used NO2 cas no matter what happened to the seatpost u'd laugh ur head off.