A-GPS phones ? Nokia etc

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Im about to upgrade the old mobile and am looking at the Nokia6210 with gps so I can use the Sportstracker app.

The chick at the Vodaphone store was saying that the GPS uses the data network so I need to be careful of my data cap as I can easily blow this using the GPS....

I would have thought that the GPS would talk directly to the satellites to get its data so this doesnt sound right to me... anyone able to confirm?

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding is that Nokia phones use "Nokia Maps" for their GPS. The entire map system is not stored on the phone, it is downloaded automatically as the phone needs it. The phone downloads the section of the map that you are on at any particular time, as you move past the limits of that map, a new one is downloaded.This i think is the downloading you are being charged for.

A way around it is to use different mapping software. Something like Garmin XT which has all the maps stored on your memory card in the phone.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong but my understanding is that Nokia phones use "Nokia Maps" for their GPS. The entire map system is not stored on the phone, it is downloaded automatically as the phone needs it. The phone downloads the section of the map that you are on at any particular time, as you move past the limits of that map, a new one is downloaded.This i think is the downloading you are being charged for.
OK, yeah, your wrong..... well, using spankys experience..... he just got a N79 that has A-GPS.... and all the maps are stored on the phone memory (note: Harris Park Station is called Harrys Park Station! on nokia maps) Got it to use the sports tracker function... which is hella cool.

you can download the whole worlds maps to your phone, or just region specific areas. The maps are free....

Once thing, using the 'show me direction' functions MAY use more data through as it appears to submit the request for directions to an off phone server.... directions are NOT free.

its about 6k each time you start the MAPs application, as it requests the upto date satellite positioning server.

You can turn A-GPS off... and it will still pick up satellites, but its can take up to 10 minutes to get a position fix from experience.

Installing Google Maps and using those on the nokia requires a half decent data connection, as google maps ARE downloaded as required.

feel free to prove spanky wrong..... again

willsy01

Eats Squid
Yep, assisted GPS.......uses data to triangulate your position and pull down the maps. The phone doesn't have a proper GPS receiver in it. I've got an E71 which has a proper receiver in it.

You can download the maps on your PC and store them on the phone though.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
So the 6210 Nav isnt true GPS? only A-GPS?

Specs from the Nokia site:
Integrated GPS, A-GPS OMA SUPL and 3GPP assistance
Compass for pedestrian usage

The good old Barta Scout compass (theres one for those old enough to remember!) does me well enough so dont really mind about the compass part...

Last edited:

sasfish

Likes Dirt
re

I have the nokia 5800 and love it built in gps but in fairness I also carry a dekota 20 with topo

copps

Likes Bikes
Like Spanky I got the N79 - with the active kit. Came with polar blue tooth HRM strap and sportstracker software. Spanky is spot on about turning off the AGPS. The phone has a normal integrated GPS reciever, that doesn't cost anything to use. It can take a little while to aquire satelites, but works really well from then on. You can buy garmin software cheap enough off schmeebay to operate with directions etc like any in car GPS without AGPS turned on. (I think around $30 for a CD). When using sportstracker the route is logged constantly without a map (just a squiggly line) and then when uploaded to the website your route is overlaid onto maps. The software also tracks heart rates, speed info, what songs you listened to and where/when you listened to them on your route, altitudes etc... Good fun to play with.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, assisted GPS.......uses data to triangulate your position and pull down the maps. The phone doesn't have a proper GPS receiver in it
Misinformation :rolleyes:
With a GPS receiver installed, A-GPS primarily speeds up the time it takes to get a fix from a cold start, which can be a while without online assistance. As for the data usage - negligible... a few Kb here and there.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I have a 6110 Navigator, which has maps stored on the phone, and does not require a data connection for navigation. It also gives me directions without having to download anything.

As mentioned above, with A-GPS turned off, it can take up to 10 minutes to find where you are, but from then on it's sweet. However, Battery life is too short for rides longer than an hour, which is any decent one.

Anyone with a Nokia GPS phone and a Performance car/bike should download RaceChrono. :)

Last edited:

artuo10

Squid
i have the 6210 with sportstracker. it works really well, gives me the max speed, altitude, avg speed, etc etc. You can upload the tracks to the sportstracker website, google earth or export it as a GPX file. A full battery will last about 4 hours at most, enough for most of my rides.
I have instlled the dodgy garmin navigation software as the nokia maps has a subscription fee after 6 months. The garmin works really well, screen is a bit small for in the car, but it will get me somewhere if i need it.
I only really wanted a GPS to track my rides and it works perfectly for that, really happy with it, although i do have the assisted part on the GPS turned off (not data charges on my bill yet) it is a bit slow to aquire satelites, just have to think ahead a bit and turn it on early.

blue_muppet

Likes Dirt
I would have thought that the GPS would talk directly to the satellites to get its data so this doesnt sound right to me... anyone able to confirm?
I can't really add any more to this than what has already been said - GPS is free, but it's meaningless unless it is against some maps - and this is where your quota comes in.

For what it's worth, I currently have the HTC Magic (or 'google' phone) on a plan with Vodafone (three is another provider). Being a Google phone, this has all the google apps fully integrated into it, and there is another one you can download call Tracks which was also written by google.

The beauty of this is that once you stop recording your path, you can upload the file directly to your google maps account from the handset itself. It also gives you statistics about average speed, acceleration and all that jazz.

I've used this on my motorbike in the past mainly for fun, and it works excellently. An example of one of my maps is here. It's incredibly simple due to a high level of integration...

I have 1 gb of data with my mobile as well, and I dont come anywhere near using it. I use around 150mb a month max...

Just my 2 cents.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I can't really add any more to this than what has already been said - GPS is free, but it's meaningless unless it is against some maps - and this is where your quota comes in.

For what it's worth, I currently have the HTC Magic (or 'google' phone) on a plan with Vodafone (three is another provider). Being a Google phone, this has all the google apps fully integrated into it, and there is another one you can download call Tracks which was also written by google.

The beauty of this is that once you stop recording your path, you can upload the file directly to your google maps account from the handset itself. It also gives you statistics about average speed, acceleration and all that jazz.

I've used this on my motorbike in the past mainly for fun, and it works excellently. An example of one of my maps is here. It's incredibly simple due to a high level of integration...

I have 1 gb of data with my mobile as well, and I dont come anywhere near using it. I use around 150mb a month max...

Just my 2 cents.

yeah that looks good.
but with nokia sports tracker, you can export to google earth/maps as well. and it actualy lets you follow the path along and tells you the speed and altitude at each point.

nice speeding btw.

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Thanks fr the info guys,

I took the 6210 on a stuff all plan so will see how it goes....where do i turn off the a-gps ?

**edit.. found it :)

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Spanky just got his bill, and the little 5-7KB grabs cost him nothing at all... seems to be included in his 30 odd buck a month plan with vodaphone...

he'll be keeping A-GPS on then...

s

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I recently got the N79 Active with Polar HRM etc. When it has worked it has been great...

I have trouble getting a GPS fix more often than not to strat off with, even out doors in full view of blue sky? On some rides I've also lost fix, then regained it randomly later on, even though I'm in normal urban areas where i'd expect any GPS based navigational tool to offer full service.

Anyone else had these issues? I love the functions of the phone, but doing a big training ride where half the data or map is incorrect is kind of silly?

When it works it's great, hence incredibly frustrating in it's present state..

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Thanks fr the info guys,

I took the 6210 on a stuff all plan so will see how it goes....where do i turn off the a-gps ?

**edit.. found it :)

wanna tell me where??
i think i have turned mine off, mine takes a good 10-15 minutes to conect, thats if it connects at all...
thinking i may have turned it of by acident.

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When it works it's great, hence incredibly frustrating in it's present state..
Yeah same, the N79's GPS hasn't given me much luck of late - hardly ever picks up and when it does it'll drop out. Again, all whilst in open outdoors with clear skies.
Also my HRM isn't too reliable either, it likes to drop out but I'm thinking this is more a fitment issue than anything else.

Such a shame, I put myself on a plan just to get the phone and run Sportstracker. When it works with GPS and HRM I love it, but when it doesn't it's infuriating... one thing that really gets to me is something that doesn't work when it should :mad:

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
wanna tell me where??
i think i have turned mine off, mine takes a good 10-15 minutes to conect, thats if it connects at all...
thinking i may have turned it of by acident.
Took me ages to find it : )

Phone Settings:General :positioning: Positioning Methods