A Long Pole

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
The Machines still have a similar failure rate not quite as bad I think. Again the bonding issue even with the screws.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
To my mind, changing the crappy bonded single lap-joint to a bonded tongue-in-groove/double lap-joint would probably remedy this issue (or at least make it a lot less likely). The CNC "tubes" are going to twist and distort under load, and there's no mechanical assistance to the bonding in the single lap joint used by Pole, so if the bonding has any flaws it'll just spread each as it loads and unloads in use (which with the cyclical nature of cycling, isn't going to be an ideal match...).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
To my mind, changing the crappy bonded single lap-joint to a bonded tongue-in-groove/double lap-joint would probably remedy this issue (or at least make it a lot less likely). The CNC "tubes" are going to twist and distort under load, and there's no mechanical assistance to the bonding in the single lap joint used by Pole, so if the bonding has any flaws it'll just spread each as it loads and unloads in use (which with the cyclical nature of cycling, isn't going to be an ideal match...).
You should email that to Leo. I’m sure he’d love unsolicited enginerding advice

ausdb

Being who he is
I wonder what sort of prep process they are using on the aluminium before they do the actual bonding and whether it is having any impact on the failure? Searching for info on composite to aluminium bonding in aerospace applications leads you down a rabbit hole of various anodising processes and treatments.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Leo told me he was going to increase the wall thickness and give it more bridging on join.
Apparently the revised CADs for the CNC works will completed today. Surely changes to the design would have to through engineering, testing (both on paper and real world) first.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Leo told me he was going to increase the wall thickness and give it more bridging on join.
Apparently the revised CADs for the CNC works will completed today. Surely changes to the design would have to through engineering, testing (both on paper and real world) first.
Fingers crossed this is true for your sake.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Have they ever explained how they tested their concept? I like the way the Kavenz guys were completely transparent about failures on the test rig:

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Have they ever explained how they tested their concept? I like the way the Kavenz guys were completely transparent about failures on the test rig:

Nothing like this but he claims to have some videos that he hasn't posted yet. Wonder what they reasoning behind that is. The frame gets split in two by putting a bar through the headtube and twisting. Apparently 500kg of force is needed to seperate 30mm of bonded aluminium.
The 7075 also deflects 90° when distorted according to Mr Pole.

Last edited:

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Leo inspected and 'tested" the frame straight away! Amazing what interwebz noise can do. Apparently could not see what I was on about and has deemed everything perfectly fine.

The steps can't 'develop' according to him these have always been there and are within tolerances as they've been machined down by hand.

I went over the frame after every ride after being aware it would most likely happen to me too after seeing my brothers.

I have photos from when the frame is new. The steps aren't even noticeable compared to now. So 'further testing' is happening today as I seem to be unsatisfied and lacking confidence in the frame. Who would have thought?

The optics and opinion is quite different so far.

Last edited: